Chain Link Fence Tip

Carl Jauernig of Wausau, Wisconsin, sent us this solution for keeping the grass from growing under a chain link fence.

It is always a chore to keep grass neatly trimmed under a chain link fence, and the fence literally eats up the line on a string trimmer. To solve this problem, notch 2”x 8” treated lumber around the fence posts so it’s centered under the chain link. This simple fix has lasted 21 years and more than paid for itself in work saved. As a bonus, the neighbor’s dog has found that it’s not compatible with his desire to dig out of confinement.

Comments

6 Comments on “Chain Link Fence Tip”

• Bev Says:
    October 19th, 2015 at 11:48 am

We have installed a chain link fence and the 6 ft gate is on a slope. What can I do to close that gap on the low side so my little dogs don’t get out but we can still drive the 4wheeler and lawn mower out?

March 1st, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Roy,
    In the submitted tip, the 2×8 was laid flat on the ground, slid halfway under the chain link fence, notching it around the fence posts. This allows the grass to be trimmed along the edge of the board with a string trimmer, rather than having the line from the trimmer hit the metal fence.

• Roy Garcia Says:
    March 1st, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Re: “Chain Link Fence Tip”.
    I am very visual and can’t seem to understand the concept shared using a 2″ x8″ treated lumber around fence posts. Could it be possible to attach a drawing or more pictures. Thanks in advance.

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:24 am

Hi Simba,
    Glad we could be of help!

• Simba Bailey Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for your tip. I just finished cutting my grass and trying to find a solution for this problem.

• Jamie Lindow Says:
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:23 am

I have been looking for this very thing for way too may years. Every time I weed wack the fence, I continue to try and find a good way to make it look good. It take such a long time to make a good looking mowing job for our chain link fence. Thanks for the tips!