Eight Great Ways To Save On Heating Costs This Winter

Adding fiberglass insulation to an attic.

Tip #6: Add Insulation to Attic

Almost every attic could use more insulation. Your attic should have at least 12″ of insulation in warm climates and 16″ in cold areas. Plastic encapsulated fiberglass insulation batts make installing additional insulation itch free and are safer for do-it-yourselfers.

Find out more:

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

15 Comments on “Eight Great Ways To Save On Heating Costs This Winter”

• Kate Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Gina or anyone who knows the answer.
    Where do you purchase: “using interior storms instead. They are made of plexiglass, adhere to the window frame via a magnetic strip and you reuse them every year”
    Do they have other means of adhering to the window frame as my frames are not metal.

• Robin Harris Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I went total electric in my home a couple of years ago. I am concern about the my electric furnace because last year with the snow and ice, I had a few problems with my furnace. What can I do to protect my electric furnace from the snow and ice? Can I cover it with some type of insulation?

March 16th, 2010 at 8:52 am

Hi Shay,
    The Better Homes & Gardens exterior facelift winning home used Woodscapes solid color stain with Sherwin Williams custom mixed colors. You can find detailed information for all of the Better Homes & Gardens contest winners in the resources section in the back of the September 2009 issue.

• Ken Lempit Says:
    March 15th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Programming a digital thermostat (instead of using it just like the old manual round-shaped ones) can create significant savings while minimizing discomfort. By reducing heating or A/C demand while you are out of the house or asleep, you can save up to 30% on associated costs. And as stated here, setting temps a little colder in winter and warmer in summer also can help. Personally, I’d want to program a t-stat before being cold!

• Debbie Says:
    February 19th, 2009 at 9:56 am

You can buy Window Film at any of the auto parts store ie, napa, discount auto, auto zone or go to a car window tinting shop and ask to purchase bigger pieces from them. They get it on a wider and longer roll.I bought mine at auto zone.

• Sarah L Says:
    January 31st, 2009 at 9:55 am

Re: insulating window kits. You can purchase them at Wal-Mart. I purchased a kit for $10. “DUCK Roll-on Insulating Kit”. Kits come in different sizes, I bought the one that covers 4 LARGE windows. It’s double sided tape placed around the window, roll on plastic that is cut to fit the window. Then use a blow dryer to shrink the film. It’s sooo easy and it helps tremendously. You can not tell there is film on the window, it looks clear. Be aware there is a possibility of paint being removed from your window when you take the tape off; however, it’s cheaper to repaint than to heat the great outdoors!

• Rita J Says:
    September 28th, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Home depot Window Film kit
    Model: TA71002
    Internet/Cat #: 941485
    Store SKU #: 113245
    Recyclable window film
    Easy to install
    Prevents frost and condensation
    210 In. H x 62 In. W x 0.005 In. D, 0.617 lb

• Gina Says:
    June 3rd, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Re Window insulating kits – do look for them in the fall and don’t buy the pre-cut ones. You can save oodles by buying the big roll and cutting it yourself. If you run out of tape, you can buy more. However, be warned that when you peel them off, the paint will probably come away too. I used to solve this by leaving the film on most windows all year (in Summer, it keeps the heat out), but in my green retrofit I’ll be using interior storms instead. They are made of plexiglass, adhere to the window frame via a magnetic strip and you reuse them every year. This way, I will get to keep the house’s original wood windows.

• Christopher Corso Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 5:19 pm

hello, where can I purchase the window insulation kits and is there a brand name to lokk out for? Thank You

• Martha Says:
    February 16th, 2008 at 5:37 pm

I live in a new condo building with sliding balcony doors. However, this winter i feel a draft coming thru. I want to be able to open the doors in the winter/summer time. What can I do to lower the wind i feel coming thru the connections ?

• craig Says:
    February 12th, 2008 at 9:56 pm

The window film does work. I purchased mine at Home Depot, but I purchased it in the fall. They may not be stocking it now, as with most stores they also rush into the next season and probably stock patio sets and lawn items.I have also seen the kits at ACO hardware. The time to buy would be October.

• Melissa Says:
    January 20th, 2008 at 6:12 pm

The window film looks like a great idea, but I second Gail’s request for help on finding it. Went to Home Depot today and the two people in the department with the regular window film (that just covers the glass) had never heard of it.

Thanks!

• Virginia Cotham Says:
    January 18th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I have cold air coming into my fireplace area because the exgaust vent does not fit
    securely
    What can I use to cover the whole?

• Gail Sage Says:
    November 24th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

Where can i find the window insulation kits? We have tried Lowes and Home Depot and they don’t know what we are talking about.

Thanks,

Gail

• Steve Swanson Says:
    September 13th, 2007 at 6:33 am

Hello,
    I am writing about what to do about the gap
    between the foundation and the siding…I have sprayed for bugs as I have seen some in
    the past fly up under the siding where the
    mortar hold the block together. I would like to seal this up with perhaps foam rope 1/4″ or perhaps 1/2″ in some areas and then use
    caulk to finalize the sealing to keep out bugs,snow,rain and of course cold drafts…
    Would you recommend silicone caulking as I
    would think clear would be best and as silcone would be more pliable and waterproof?
    Please reply!