February Home Maintenance To-Do List

Changing air filter.

To-Do #1: Replace Furnace Air Filter

The air filter on your HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system needs to be replaced every 1-3 months to keep the air in your home clean and flowing freely. A high quality air filter is the best choice to remove mold, pollen, and other microscopic particles from the air.

The air filter is usually found behind the air return grate mounted on a wall or in the floor. The filter may also be located in or near the air handler unit. Check out our article on How to Locate an Air Filter if you have trouble finding yours.

To replace an air filter:

1. Turn the heating system off, and wait until it stops running.
  2. Remove the cover on the air return.
  3. Take out the old air filter.
  4. Write the date on the new air filter.
  5. Insert the new air filter in the return, making sure the arrow on the edge of the filter is facing in the direction of air flow. For filters with wall and floor mounted returns, the arrow should point in toward the return duct. For filters mounted in the ductwork near the air handler, the arrow should point toward the HVAC unit.
  6. Put the cover back on the air return.
  7. Turn the heating system back on.
  8. To make it easier to replace next time, put a sticker on or near the return with the size filter you need to buy and when to replace it.

Check out our video on Changing an Air Filter to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

8 Comments on “February Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• pilar hernandez Says:
    February 4th, 2015 at 2:30 pm

around how much would I spend to turn my patio into a living room half of the patio???? HELP

• Ann Says:
    February 2nd, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I used plastic wall anchors to put up a shelf in my kitchen. It required 2 anchors per metal brace and I used 3 braces. The top screw on each brace didn’t tighten. I put a washer between the brace and wall and put the screw through the washer. It still would not tighten. What should I do now? I would like to store some cookbooks on this shelf.

• Deb Hueholt-Hartman Says:
    February 1st, 2015 at 8:53 pm

My condo apt has a white like dust that forces me to dust frequently. Is this a duct problem or worse? They supply and change filters every couple months but doesn’t seem to solve the problem. If I buy a better quality filter will I sacrifice heat ability? My furnace is in the ceiling. The complex is less than 20 yrs old. Appreciate any advice you can give.

• Pat Temple Says:
    February 1st, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Marcia Matthews, you need to seek a plumber. Your main drIn is getting clogged

• Garry Harrison Says:
    February 1st, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Toilet spits and sputters when refilling, but not every time. Sometimes it fills normally with no hesitation. What should I try to fix this.It is a newer style filler, not the old style floating ball. Also the tile grout needs to be cleaned. I used a product from Fuller brush last time which worked real well but have not been able to find it again on their web site. What do you recommend?
    Thanks for your help.

• Marcia Matthews Says:
    February 1st, 2015 at 12:48 pm

When I’m using the shower, I hear the toilet bubbling up. Do I need to get a plumber involved, or is it air in the pipe.

• christine sipp Says:
    February 15th, 2014 at 10:25 am

on february 15,2014 you had a squirt bottle of stuff to clean your bathroom tile floor. what was the name of that stuff please. my apartment bathroom floor has white grout and it doesn’t come clean very well. thanks christine

• JUDY STAUDER Says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 9:34 am

WE WOULD LIKE TO STAIN OR PAINT (EPOXY WAS RECOMMENDED) FOR OUR GARAGE FLOOR. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH YOU WOULD USE. WE WANTED TO GO WITH A DARK COLOR SO IT WOULDN’T SHOW DIRT AS BAD. WE WERE TOLD HOT TIRES WILL TAKE OFF REGULAR PAINT, SO WE THOUGHT SINCE WE ARE OLDER STAIN MIGHT BE EASIER. HOPE YOU CAN HELP.