Homeowner’s Guide to Glue

Bottles of Titebond wood glue

Trying to find the right glue at your local home improvement store these days can be a bit overwhelming. There are so many to choose from, and picking the wrong one can lead to a really sticky situation. Or not, which could be even worse. The trick is to match the glue to the job at hand, but that’s not always as simple as it sounds.

Here’s a breakdown of the different types that are available to help you get it right.

Yellow and White Glue

Yellow glue.

A kissing cousin to school glue, yellow glue, such as Titebond, is mainly used for woodworking. It’s available for interior use, as well as in moisture resistant and even waterproof versions. Work pieces have to be clamped, but the clamps can be removed in about an hour. White glue is similar to yellow but is less resistant to moisture and takes longer to cure.

Both yellow and white glues are non-toxic and can be cleaned up with water and a damp rag. Be sure to sand unfinished work thoroughly before finishing, as any glue residue will prevent stains and clear finishes from penetrating the wood.

Instant Glue

Krazy and Super instant glues.

Sold under brand names like Super Glue and Krazy Glue, this is the glue (chemical name, cyanoacrylate) to keep on hand for household emergencies. Drop a vase, step on your child’s favorite toy, or break a corner off a ceramic picture frame, and you’ll be glad you’ve got a tube on hand. It sets up almost instantly and creates a nearly invisible bond on glass, metal, porcelain, fabric, wood and rigid plastic.

Since it can stick your fingers together in an instant as well, keep a bottle of acetone based nail polish remover on hand to free them. Instant glue has a tendency to dry out, so store it tightly capped (and clearly marked) in the refrigerator between uses. If you have young children, put the tube in an old childproof prescription bottle first to keep it out of curious hands.

Polyurethane Glue

Gorilla polyurethane glue.

Though it’s the new kid on the block, polyurethane glue has really taken off in recent years. Sold under the brand name Gorilla Glue, among others, it is waterproof and can be used to bond everything from wood, fiberglass, and foam to stone, metal, and brick.

Polyurethane glue expands as it cures, allowing it to fill cracks and gaps. The downside is that it tends to ooze out if you use too much, and the work pieces have to remain clamped for several hours. Storing the bottle upside down will help keep the glue from solidifying between uses.

Epoxy Glue

Loctite epoxy glue.

While a little messy and difficult to use, epoxy glue provides an extremely durable, waterproof bond for many materials including wood, metal, glass, stone, and certain plastics.

Epoxy comes in two parts, a resin and a catalyst, which produce a chemical reaction when mixed together. This makes it great for filling gaps, since it hardens into a solid mass. Epoxy comes in setting times ranging from a few minutes to an hour and is available as a dual-cartridge syringe, in tubes, or as putty. Equal parts of the glue are mixed with a clean plastic knife or Popsicle stick then quickly applied before it has time to set. Once cured, epoxy can be drilled, sanded, or painted.

Spray adhesive.

Spray Adhesive

These aerosol cans of adhesive are great for attaching paper and fabric since it doesn’t soak through porous materials like liquid glue would. To use, spray a coat to the surface and wait a minute for it to become tacky before attaching the paper or fabric. For a stronger bond, spray the adhesive on both surfaces first.

Contact Cement

Contact cement.

Used mainly to glue plastic laminates and veneer to plywood, contact cement comes in both solvent and water based versions. Roll or brush the adhesive on both surfaces and allow it to dry for the recommended time before carefully bringing the two pieces together. As the name implies, the cement bonds on contact and the pieces cannot be repositioned once they have touched. A rubber roller is used to press the two surfaces firmly together.

Construction adhesive.

Construction Adhesive

While these thick waterproof adhesives are often used to attach plywood, drywall, and paneling to framing; they’re also suitable for projects around the home as well. Construction adhesives come in a tube and are applied with a caulking gun. Keep the nozzle tightly capped to prevent the glue from drying out.

Hot Glue

Hot glue gun.

This thermoplastic adhesive comes in cylindrical sticks that are heated in an electric glue gun. It is applied by pulling the trigger on the gun, and the pieces must be quickly assembled before the hot plastic cools. While it can be used with a variety of materials, hot glue does not produce very strong adhesion and is mainly useful for craft projects and temporary bonds.

Use hot glue with caution, particularly around children. If you get it on your skin, it will cause a painful burn that you will not soon forget.

Glue Safety

Almost all the glues described here contain potentially dangerous and toxic chemicals, so be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Avoid contact with the skin, and work in a well ventilated area to keep from breathing the fumes. Some are highly flammable and should not be used without proper ventilation or around possible ignition sources.

Final Thoughts

The only thing worse than using the wrong glue, is using a glue that has lost its punch, so be sure and check the expiration date on the container and apply only within the temperature range specified in the directions.

138 Comments on “Homeowner’s Guide to Glue”

1. CEMENT URNS Says:
    September 4th, 2007 at 12:53 pm

WHAT DO I USE FOR CEMENT URNS THAT HAS BROKEN FROM THE WEATHER?

2. Official Comment:

September 4th, 2007 at 3:09 pm

I would try using polyurethane or epoxy glue on your cement urns. First clean the break well with soap and water, using a scrub brush or toothbrush. Then let it dry throughly before gluing.

3. chris Says:
    September 21st, 2007 at 3:44 pm

I have a question for you about hot glue. I have a pretty big christmas display and I want to attach strings of lights to the front of my house. I have aluminum siding and thought that the hot glue would work pretty well. But I’ve heard stories that the hot glue doesn’t do well in cold weather. I live in the Northeast (CT to be exact) and would like to know your thoughts on the cold weather and hot glue? If you could respond to my email that would be great! thanks, chris

4. Jerry Shike Says:
    September 28th, 2007 at 9:41 am

I need to glue up pressure treated pine to make sign posts. What is my best choice for glue? Thanks

5. Official Comment:

October 4th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Chris,
    I’ve read reports about hot glue not doing well in cold weather, but I’m afraid that here in LA (lower Alabama) we don’t have much experience in that regard. I will say that hot glue can be a pretty temporary fix at times, which can be a good thing, though not if your lights come crashing down on Christmas Eve!

6. Charlie Simpson Says:
    October 7th, 2007 at 6:42 pm

I want to glue photographs to glass. Just a bit of glue to the corners of the glossy side. Any gluing suggestions?

7. Official Comment:

November 7th, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Charlie,
    A clear glue stick (available at office supply stores) will hold photos to glass. But if it is applied to the face of the photo (so you are looking through the glass at it), it will make the photo look wet (as will about any other glue) where the glue was applied. If you are attaching the photos on the back side to glass, try using double stick tape.

8. Brandi Says:
    November 8th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

I would like to hang pre-lit garland around the stone and brick archway to my home. I do not want to use nails and tape is not an option. I was told by a christmas decorating company that they use glue if they can not use nails. I am located in the Dallas area. Any suggestions on what type of glue to use?

9. Bob Says:
    November 19th, 2007 at 3:25 pm

I have the same challenge and also live in the Dallas area. Have you come up with any acceptable solutions?

10. Linda Says:
    January 5th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

What glue would you use to adhere glass (those glass cube things that look wavy) to cork (as in a homemade bulletin board to cover the ugly glass cube things)

11. Agustin Says:
    January 29th, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Hello!

My name is Agustin Tristan and I work for the Alabama Productivity Center at the University of Alabama. I am doing research on better ways of attaching sheetrock, meaning, using adhesives as an alternating method to using screws. I was wondering what adhesive you would recommend that is very strong and also has a very fast curing time?

Thank you for your help.

12. Official Comment:

January 30th, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Agustin,
    Construction adhesive is often used with screws to attach sheetrock to studs or ceiling joists, but I haven’t heard of it being used alone.

13. Agustin Says:
    January 30th, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Ben,
    Do you know which construction adhesives would be the best by any chance?
    I did some research and it seems like we need to keep the screws around the corners of the sheetrock at least.
    Regards

14. bob Says:
    February 9th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

What kind of Glue can i use to stick a Polyurethan spoiler onto the rear winshield..

15. John Says:
    September 1st, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I was wondering which glue would create the best bond between fabric and metal? (silk and chrome to be more specific)

Thanks in advance

John

16. Official Comment:

September 2nd, 2008 at 11:36 am

Hi John,
    Either spray adhesive, contact cement, hot glue, or epoxy should work between fabric and metal. You might want to sand the crome lightly so it won’t be so slick.

17. deni wilson Says:
    September 10th, 2008 at 1:33 pm

i live in an old trailer, and it is leaking underneathe by the bathroom, causing water to stand. i just needed to knowwhat kind of glue to usem for plumbing. keeping a pipe from leaking or dripping water. is epoxy used for this? can you recommend something?

thankyou,
    deni in nm

18. Carlos A. Flores Says:
    October 5th, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Dear Sir/Madam

What kind of glue can I use to glue a Wood Frame Picture over in a center of a larger glass Background.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

19. taylor Says:
    October 9th, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Hi.

I recently got epoxy glue on my finger. It’s not much, about 1 1/2 square cm. Will this be toxic?

20. kathy Says:
    October 22nd, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Do you know what kind of glue will permanantly adhere glass to glass, dry clear and can be hand washed with dish soap.

Thank you for your help.

21. Alan Lisowy Says:
    November 1st, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Hi,

I have a granite tile backsplash over my stove. I would like to glue a metal hook to the granite in order to hang a ceramic platter. Can you suggest a glue that would sustain the hook and the platter. The platter weighs no more than a pound. I am concerned that over time the hook would fall off. Thank you.

22. Jennifer Kaplan Says:
    December 11th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

How do I stick a fabric sink skirt to a porcelain sink? I have tried crazy glue, but after a week, it falls off again. Is there an adhesive or something that will hold the fabric in place onto the porcelain sink? Thank you. I am desperate and aggravated.

23. Official Comment:

December 12th, 2008 at 9:49 am

Hi Jennifer,
    You might try using double stick carpet tape, hot glue, or contact adhesive.

24. Tom Says:
    December 21st, 2008 at 9:33 am

I bought at Ikea 3ft long plastic strips (1/2″wide) that conceal speaker wire to run up the drywall and across the top of the 4 ft wide entry opening between my living room and dining room and then down the wall to the floor so that the wire would not be running across the floor (thus risking tripping accidents). One removes the paper backing from the strips and sticks them to the drywall. However, after a couple of days, the strips running horizontally across the top of the opening start sagging down below the headboard into the entry. The vertical strips running up the sides of the entry opening have started to slide down, too. What is best adhesive to use to glue the strips to the wall so they won’t sag? P.S. About a year ago I had the headboard drywall repaired to remove nailpops. Is it possible that the drywall compound used causes the glue backing of the strips not to adhere to the drywall?

25. MaryLou Says:
    March 19th, 2009 at 8:10 am

I tried to krazy glue a clear plastic picture frame. It got inside the frame. Is there a way I can get it off the clear plastic without scratching the frame? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

26. Rick York Says:
    April 21st, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I have a customer that is in the produce busniess. He wants to put FRP on his walls and ceiling in his produce area. Problem is its is 37 degrees in these rooms. Do you know what type glue would work on this

27. Susan Says:
    May 6th, 2009 at 11:49 am

I would like to glue a metal plaque to a polished granite tombstone. What kind of adhesive would be best? It must weather Ohio winters.

28. Official Comment:

May 7th, 2009 at 7:26 am

Hi Susan,
    I would try a construction adhesive made for granite such as Liquid Nails Marble & Granite Adhesive.

29. Doreen Says:
    June 7th, 2009 at 10:42 pm

What is the best glue to secure snaps to fabric?? It has to hold up when you pull the snaps off…

30. Galia Bragg Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 7:52 am

Im looking for best glue for jewellry box. I got a lovely dophlin with space picture and need a good strong glue for plastic (table mat) Hard plastic against wood for glue. Can you find it for me and let me know.

Thank you.

31. pat Says:
    August 6th, 2009 at 7:10 am

What is the best glue to stick a mirror to the bathroom wall. We tried NONails but mirror came down. The wall is not tiled thank you

32. Official Comment:

August 6th, 2009 at 7:58 am

Hi Pat,
    I would use a solvent based construction adhesive like Liquid Nails, but you might want to call a glass shop and see if they sell anything specifically for hanging mirrors. When we had a mirror installed in our bathroom recently, they used a mastic adhesive, then screwed up several small plastic brackets to hold it in place until the adhesive set. They told us not to take them down for three weeks until the adhesive had cured.

33. Robin Says:
    August 13th, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Hi
    I hoping someone can help me. I would like to glue silk flowers and seashells to a square mirror. What kind of glue will work best?
    This will end up being a center piece if I can pull it off. Thanks

34. Official Comment:

August 14th, 2009 at 8:44 am

Hi Robin,
    When you are gluing to a mirror, you are basically gluing to glass, so glues for glass will work, and you can also use a piece of scrap glass to practice on (check hardware stores or home centers that cuts glass for scraps). So possibilities you might want to try include epoxy, instant glue, contruction adhesive, adhesive caulk, and clear silicone caulk.

35. Morgan Says:
    August 15th, 2009 at 9:28 am

The basin for my small water fountain has started to leak. What type of glue should I use to seal it?

36. Michelle Says:
    September 27th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Great article, thank you. I am thinking epoxy would work in my situation. I’m attaching small pebbles and palm-sized pieces of driftwood to a large, hard plastic frame and to themselves. The bond needs to be extremely strong – at least as strong as the materials themselves in order to survive packing and shipping. Opinions?

37. Official Comment:

September 28th, 2009 at 9:42 am

Hi Michelle,
    While epoxy works well on some plastics, it may not adhere to others, so be sure to test it first. Other options that might work for what you have in mind include gel-type instant glue or a dab of construction adhesive.

38. Lois Detter Says:
    December 14th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I want to glue a photograph on a brick. Any suggestions?

39. Official Comment:

December 15th, 2009 at 9:05 am

Hi Lois,
    I would try hot glue or dabs of mounting putty for a quick stick you can remove in the future. Epoxy would work for a more permanent solution.

40. Lauren Says:
    January 9th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I am trying to glue a broken piece of a side mirror back on to my car. I have tried super glue but I live in South Carolina and the temperature is too cold here to cure properly. What types of glue would cure in cold temperatures but also retain a strong hold in the hot summer weather. The glue needs to be strong enough to withstand the pressure of driving fast down the interstate and be weather-proof if I drive in the rain or leave it outside overnight. Do you have any suggestions for a glue that could fulfill these requirements?

41. darlene Says:
    January 11th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

HELP !!!
    I’d like to glue a wooden frame on to a mirror for a decorative look. The frame cannot be clamped because the mirror is already in place on the wall. Which glue product do you recommend and please share your suggestions on how I can hold the frame in place while the glue cures.
    Thanks very much !!

42. Official Comment:

January 12th, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hi Darlene,
    If the frame is already assembled, and you’re gluing the mirror to it, I would recommend using construction adhesive.

43. Dan Mergens Says:
    January 22nd, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I was looking for the best adhesive for metal to silk and saw the post. Good idea on the sanding, but I would really like to know the best bond. I’m trying to make an attachment that requires staying power through vigorous motion.

I also happened by the post of better ways to attach sheet rock. Keep in mind that using an adhesive for that application will only attach the sheet rock to the studs BY THE PAPER! You’re best bet is to consider improvements to the fastening method.

44. Sean Says:
    January 26th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I just got my sticker to place on my license plate. When I went to put it on the plate, it fell right off. The sticker was not sticky at all. The directions said it would stick in temps as low as 0 degrees F and it was 40 degrees when I tried to put it on. The lady at DMV said it was too cold for it io stick and it will cost me $4.50 to replace it! Is there any kind of glue that I can use to put the sticker on the metal plate that would be secure? I just can’t bring myself to pay more to the state if I don’t have to!

45. Official Comment:

January 27th, 2010 at 9:10 am

Hi Sean,
    You might try applying a piece of heavy duty double sided tape to the back of the sticker. Some double sided tapes are made for inside use and don’t hold that well, but I bought some cloth backed double sided tape a few years ago from an online woodworking store (don’t remember which one) that was extremely sticky and strong. If it’s still cold, take the tag off, bring it inside, and allow it warm up for a while before applying it.

46. Lenny Says:
    February 9th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Hi Danny,
    What would you use to seal and glue glass pane to concrete in a constant submersion situation (swimming pool)?

47. Official Comment:

February 10th, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hi Lenny,
    Epoxy glue is waterproof, though I’m not sure how well the bond to glass would hold up over time. Another possibility is 100% silicone caulking if you give it enough time to cure before submerging it.
    Good luck with your project!
    Ben

48. Official Comment:

February 10th, 2010 at 9:20 am

Hi Lenny,
    Good luck with your project!

49. Angie Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Hi Ben,

I have bricks on the front of my house that are too hard to drill through, and I want to put hooks up to thread wire – for a running ivy vine to cling to. We’ve tried and tried to drill – to no avail. Is there a particular glue we could use to just adhere metal flat hooks to the bricks? Thanks!

50. Raj Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Hi Ben,

I have got a kitchen built up totally concrete, however i would like to install Granite counter top. Since the base of the kitchen mount is Concrete and level perfectly. How do i install the Granite Slab over the Concrete kitchen top?

51. Official Comment:

May 18th, 2010 at 8:34 am

Hi Raj,
    Since granite countertops are very heavy, it doesn’t take much to hold them in place. Usually all that is needed is a bead of silicone caulking around the top of the cabinets. The granite slab is then set in the silicone. For more holding power, you could use construction adhesive as well. Good luck with your project!

52. Official Comment:

May 18th, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hi Angie,
    You can drill into bricks or the mortar joints between them (which is softer) using a masonry drill bit (a hammer drill works the best), then tap plastic anchors in the holes with screws in the anchors to hold the wire. If your bricks are glazed and not too porous you might be able to stick the hooks to them using 5-minute epoxy glue or a dab of construction adhesive, but I don’t know how well it would hold up over time. Good luck with your project!

53. Amar Says:
    May 19th, 2010 at 2:22 am

Hi Ben,
    I am looking for adhesive which can bond metal to fabric but it should conduct heat as well. I am trying to make indirect evaporative cooler using that…

54. Official Comment:

May 19th, 2010 at 8:10 am

Amar,
    There are some spray adhesives for fabric that should bond it to metal. Don’t know if they would conduct heat. Good luck with your project!

55. Doug Sacry Says:
    May 23rd, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I have a plastic piece I need to glue on the inside of the refrigerator door. What can I use? Because of the placement, clamping will not be an option.

56. Official Comment:

May 24th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Hi Doug,
    To glue plastic to your frig, I would try either instant glue or epoxy.
    Good luck with your project!

57. peggy johnson Says:
    July 29th, 2010 at 12:12 am

we laid out new carpet in my granddaughters bedroom, a week later the toilet line broke in the middle of the night, her room was in about half inch water, after pulling her carpet and pad back and drying it, she no longer hass glue on the back of her carpet, what can I put on the back of her carpet since the glue came off, the carpet man said if I vaccum her rug the rug will pull up through the backing of the carpet and come suck out in the vaccum. what type of glue can I use. HELP

58. John In Florida Says:
    August 7th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I need an adhesive for small plastic coated signs to adhere to aluminum at o degr F in a food freezer? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks

59. karen - in new jersey Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

i used rubber cement glue to glue rubber to plastic inside a pool pump. there is obviously water involved with this project. was this the correct glue to use ?? after doing it i searched and found this article

hope i got this right, any suggestions would be helpful

60. stone Says:
    September 12th, 2010 at 7:08 am

Thanks, I hope you can help me. I am making small glass suncatchers that weigh about 8 ounces. I want to attach small river rocks to the front of the glass to hold the filliment that they will hang from. What strong glue should I use that will bond the rocks to the glass?

61. Official Comment:

September 12th, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hi Stone,
    I would use a dab of clear epoxy glue to bond rocks to glass. Good luck with your project!

62. Lisa Says:
    October 27th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best way to glue paper to a fabric tote bag? I am making a gift for my niece and want to personalize her tote with her name cut from pieces of hello kitty paper. :)

Thank you!

63. Phil Says:
    October 28th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Hi, I am making a costume for Halloween and was wondering if you have any suggestions as to which glue would be best to glue a mirror to fabric safely bearing in mind it will be worn all nighyt and probably see a lot of movement throughout the night.
    Thanks

64. Official Comment:

October 29th, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hi Phil,
    To glue a mirror to fabric, I would try either epoxy glue or construction adhesive. Both contain pretty noxious chemicals, so give them time to completely cure before wearing, and avoid direct contact with the adhesive on skin even after they have cured. Happy Halloween!

65. Dilys Says:
    November 13th, 2010 at 2:01 am

I need to attach a wooden frame to a flat piece of porcelain. The completed project will hang on a wall like a picture. What product do you recommend?

66. Shannen Says:
    November 13th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Danny,
    Trying to make oil lamp burner. I’m trying to glue glass to marble or/and granite that the oil from the burner does not breakdown the glue. Can you help?

67. Official Comment:

November 17th, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hi Shannen,
    Epoxy glue would be your best bet when gluing glass to marble. Once cured, it shouldn’t react to the oil, though it’s possible the oil could seep under it and cause the glue to fail. Good luck with your project!

68. Mike Hayes Says:
    November 29th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I have tried different types of glue like “Krazy” glue and epoxy glue on the shelving drawers in a fridge and nothing really seems to hold for any length of time? Any suggestions?

69. Official Comment:

November 30th, 2010 at 8:22 am

Hi Mike,
    I’ve never had very good luck gluing plastic (if that’s what your drawers are), and the high humidity and cold temperatures in the fridge only make it harder, but you might try modeling cement or expoxy glue. Let the drawers come to room temperature before applying, then allow the glue to cure before putting them back in the fridge. Good luck with your product, and let us know if you find something that works well.

70. Jessica T Says:
    December 15th, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I’m trying to put a christmas ribbon around my bathroom mirror, but I want it to be temporary. What would be best? Tape didn’t work too well with the steam of the shower.

71. Official Comment:

December 16th, 2010 at 8:29 am

Hi Jessica,
    You might want to try dabs from a hot glue gun which should peel off the glass fairly easily. Dabs of clear silicone caulking might work as well. Good luck with your project!

72. Dillon Says:
    January 13th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hi- I have pergot laminate thresholds that need to be glued to my concrete foundation flooring. The laminate sits in an aluminum tray. I used liquid nails and it was not a success-it stuck to the concrete but not to the aluminum- thus my thresholds aren’t secured. I really don’t want to hammer them into my concrete foundation- HELP!

73. Saul King Says:
    January 23rd, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I would like to know what would be best to attach a small piece of mirror to metal. It will be subject to high temps (200+ °f) and vibration. What would be best?

74. sonya Says:
    March 30th, 2011 at 11:44 pm

what should i use to remove carpet glued to the garage floor?

75. Tanya Says:
    April 12th, 2011 at 7:41 am

I need to know what kind of glue or adhesive I can use to reseal the rim of a waterbottle.

I have an expensive waterbottle that I use daily for the gym and it has a double like rim. One has an attachment to the bottle, but the lid itself has a screw off top to drink out of, yet it can come off and the other part makes it bigger if you take it off to put ice in it.

I am looking for an adhesive or glue that when I put it on the top rim, that if it comes in contact with the water, it will not only stick and stay put, put its safe for me to drink from.

HELP!!!!! I spent a lot of money on it and love the bottle and would like to keep it. It has measurements on there so I can add protein powders and water to it..

Thanks so much!

76. Richard Says:
    July 9th, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hello.
    I would like to paste a phote onto a concrete walking stone and then apply a coating so that it could withstand the weather.
    Any Suggestions?
    Thanks

77. Fiona Wyatt Says:
    July 23rd, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Hello – I need to glue a photo to the frosted-polypropylene front cover of an album so that the photo is permanently attached and as little glue as possible is visible on the reverse side of the cover. As I need to do these in quantities of 50 to 100 at a time, then I’m looking for as ‘instant’ a solution as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks very much,
    Regards,
    Fiona

78. Iman Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 8:42 pm

hi i need to glue plastic to granite ,,the plastic is the box. For wire in the wall that coverd with granite,so i want to put the plastic box in to the wall and glue sides to the granite,what is the best glue to that.?
    Thx for your help

79. ralph nelson Says:
    July 29th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

On my camping trailer I took the metal off. I put a soft plastic back on. I used Weldwood contact cement to glue it on. It worked well untill it got hot outside. The tempeture is between 100-104. The glue turned loose. Can you tell me what to use. Thank you Ralph Nelson

80. Michelle Says:
    August 11th, 2011 at 12:06 am

What is the best way to adhere glass to brick?

81. Shelly Says:
    August 30th, 2011 at 4:43 am

Hi! I am wondering what glue is best to attach glass to granite? Also rubber to granite? Thank you so much! Shelly

82. Mike Marquart Says:
    September 5th, 2011 at 10:00 am

Hi! My pet recently died & I poured a concrete base to put a 12″x6″ flat granite tombstone I bought. I’m not sure which adhesive to use to bond it to the concrete. Thanks!

83. Duwayne Goddard Says:
    September 9th, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hi

What glue can i use to stick Coaxial cable to a concrete ceiling?

Thanks

84. Kim Register Says:
    September 19th, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I am trying to attach a curtain rod bracket to my home wall without having to drill holes. I have drilled in brackets for both curtain rod ends, but the middle bracket cannot be drilled because I keep hitting metal in the wall. Is there a glue I can use to mount the middle curtain rod bracket?

Please help :)

85. Vicki B Says:
    September 29th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I am trying to hang a cork board (wood frame) to a 6 panel metal door. Command tapes DO NOT stick to metal. Which type of glue would be recommended for this?

86. Mag Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I am trying to glue down an aluminum strip to my concrete floor. The floor gets wet occasionally. What would be the best adhesive to permanently attach this metal strip? Thanks

87. Alex Sanchez Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:12 pm

what adhesive should I use to glue a large mirror ( approx. 36″x24″) to a piece of wood furniture? The furniture has two other smaller mirror sections on each side that need to be glued also. In its final stage that whole piece rests on another wooden piece of furniture.
    Thanks,
    AS

88. JayB Says:
    November 4th, 2011 at 12:30 am

My crisper drawers in my fridge are suspended from the shelf above them. Unfortunately, they pull the shelf down so much that the plastic shelf frame sags away from the glass shelves they support.
    Would you glue the glass to the frame? If yes, which would you use?
    Thanks,
    JB

89. sholeh Says:
    November 5th, 2011 at 5:45 am

Dear Sir,

I hope you can help me with my problem. There is a crack between the stone wall and window pane of my home. I would like to know what waterproof spray I shall use to repair the crack permanently.

Thank you in advance for your promp reply.

90. Mary Deliso Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I saw a commercial last year about hanging Christmas lights outdoors with some kind of putty that will adhere to Brick & any surface & is easily removed when taking lights down. Can you tell me the name of this product & where I can purchase it….. Thanks

91. Official Comment:

November 7th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Hi Mary,
    You might be thinking of our Simple Solutions video on How to Attach Holiday Lights and Decorations to Your Home

92. Mary Deliso Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Thanks for the response. It was helpful.

93. Anne Says:
    November 13th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hi,
    A 20″x20″x20″ heavy outdoor garden pot broke into 3 fairly clean pieces as we were bringing it home. It was the only one of its kind at the garden center and relatively expensive, so I’d like to explore repairing it before I give up and throw it away without ever using it.

Summers here (Sacramento, CA) are hot and dry (avg 90+F), while winters are cool and moist (30′s F at night). Would I be better off with 2-part epoxy glue or Gorilla Glue? Would duct-taping the pot tightly while the glue sets and cures be the best way to keep the seal tight, or do you have a better suggestion? How much does the ambient temperature matter when I glue it–should I bring it into the house to glue it?
    Thanks!
    anne

94. Troy Says:
    November 23rd, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hi i was given a sea shell as a present and then when i woke up i stood on it! It was only a small sea shell but i have been able to reconise which piece fits the other pieces in shorter words i can glue it back together!
    I just dont know what glue to use it would also have to be transparent! please help me out with a reply thnx

95. Alex Says:
    December 5th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’m trying to install Christmas lights around the house (c-9 type) and I don’t know what to use on regular porous brick.. Any help?

96. Don Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

i am trying to find what glue to use to glue screen (metal) to a rubber type flexible like pool liner ? thanks

97. Steve Clement Says:
    December 20th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I am trying to make a trivet out of two sheets of 1/4″ plywood. I used a scroll saw to cut a design in the top sheet, and want to glue it to the solid bottom sheet. I was about to use wood glue, then got to wondering if it would hold up with a hot pot or tea kettle sitting atop the top sheet. What do you think?

98. Nick Says:
    January 13th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I am trying to attach a 71 inch aluminum strip to the wood base of a stereo cabinet. I would like to know what kind of adhesive I have to use.
    Thanks
    Nick

99. jimmie Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 10:20 am

I have a 4inch strip going vertical that I need to attach ceramic tile to. Cement board will not work because of the place it is and would throw everything else off. What kind of glue should I get?

100. Linda Says:
    January 27th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I have a cement patio that has a roof over it. I live in Wickenburg Arizona and I want to put screen around it, only knee high to the poles the poles that hold the roof up and at the bottom to the cement. The poles are easy but I would like to know what I can use to adhere the screen to the cement sides. I am only interested in keeping the lizards out!!

101. preeti Says:
    January 29th, 2012 at 7:43 am

some wooden blocks came out from my floor.please suggest me which glue i can use to stick these blocks.it should not be so costly also.

102. Eunice Jones Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hi their.
    IM trying to find the best glue to use to glue carpet to metal in our Mazda van Can you please help me with any suggestions Thankyou..

103. Anne Says:
    March 7th, 2012 at 6:07 am

I want to glue D-ring hangers to porcelain plates to hang on the wall. Would an epoxy be the best glue for this?
    Thank you! How long should I let it cure?

104. Teresa Says:
    March 7th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I have a machine made Oriental rug that is leaving a powdery substance which I now know is dried glue on the floor ever since the rug got wet. It seems that I should be able to apply some type of glue over the back of the rug to reseal it. I thought about spreading glue on the back of the rug and then covering it with jute or a heavy type of cloth. I have know idea if this would work but any suggestions as to what type of glue to use would be worth a try. I have read about many people with this same problem and feel as if there should be something we can do to fix it. Thanks for any help you can give!

105. Eunice Jones Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

HELLO..COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME A GLUE TO USE TO GLUE CARPET TO METAL!!!!
    LOOKING FORWARD TO AN ANSWER.THANKYOU

106. Steve Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

i have a plastic laminate counter top that has popped loose in a spot what type o glue should i use to re-glue it? Thanks

107. Jamie Says:
    April 9th, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I am decorating a nursery and decided to make a 3D cherry blossom tree with the flowers the 3D part. What kind of glue can I use to make sure the artificial flowers will stick to the wall, but not ruin the wall forever?

108. Liz Says:
    June 26th, 2012 at 12:09 am

I have a kitchen drawer that came apart. The whole facing is off. What glue is best for this type of project?

109. Jan Whitebear Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have one of those hard plastic-like pond shells I just put in on a side patio. I wanted to glue some snall flat river rocks around the top edges of it to hide the black plastic. What would work on this? Would E-6000 hold the stones to the plastic? Or is there something better?

110. Kirk Says:
    September 2nd, 2012 at 3:14 pm

How no I keep glue cool in a hot garage? THANKS!!!

111. Rose Woodard Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hi,
    I am able to see images in rocks that symbolize things in my life. I have recently taken 2 rocks from my daughter-in-law’s garden and they resemble the two dogs buried there. I have painted them properly so they look like their 2 dogs.
    I want to know if there is an epoxy that I could apply as a coating to withstand the weather. I have a dog in my yard and the paint is not weathering very well. Thanks for any clues.

112. Mark Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I have a plastic piece (shaped like a plastic dowel) that broke off and I need to glue on the inside of the refrigerator door. It is one of 4 spots that bear the weight of a crisper drawer. Any suggestions on what might bond the peice back together. There is no way to clamp the peice. Thanks

113. Garth knudsen Says:
    December 6th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I wish to adhere plastic type items to bathroom tiles and walls I want to be able to easily remove it when needed
    Non permanent adhesive therefore

114. vivi anne briggs Says:
    June 16th, 2013 at 8:31 am

How do I glue glass to glass and glass to plastic? I am making some “some art” and some pieces hold while others do not. I have tried E6000 and silicone caulk. Wondering why some pieces will not hold, I made sure they were free of any dirt, oil, etc.

115. Sheryl Says:
    June 27th, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I am building garden statues by glueing old plates and vases on top of each other and need to know what type of glue to use that will withstand all weather elements.

116. Stephanie Lloyd Says:
    July 18th, 2013 at 8:05 am

I am trying to find glue that will adhere stain glass to a cinder block wall outside. What can I use. Which can work in the north. Indiana.

117. B Smith Says:
    August 15th, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi…I am wondering what kind of glue to use to glue some type of a heavy fabric rod pocket on the back of a Persian rug so I can hang it on the wall. The rug doesn’t weigh a ton but I need a glue that will hold up under some weight….and not soak through and ruin the front of the rug.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

118. Karly Says:
    October 3rd, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Hi I am making my own costume this year and am wondering what would the best glue to use besides hot glue as it will be cold outside I am going to be gluing fake ivy leaves to Mostly polyester fabric leotard. I want it to hold up all night and be slightly flexiable as inwill have to put the cpstume on after everythings glued on to that’s why I’m not sure what glue to use

119. Leslie Says:
    October 30th, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’m trying to glue silk flowers to a lighted wine bottle but heat from the lights loosens the glue. What type of adhesive should I be using?

120. Jim Says:
    November 23rd, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I have a shower rod but its the kind you drill into the shower tiles. My wife says noooo.But I love this rod due to it being square shaped. Home Depot advertises on its website something called “No Drilling Required” I believe its a German import. My question is what kind of adhesive can I use to anchor my rod and also have the option of removing it later if I chose too. This product online claims it can do it. Would appreciate any info about such an adhesive and its availability anywhere else under a known name adhesive.

121. Charles Wilhite Says:
    December 22nd, 2013 at 9:02 pm

what glue can be used to glue new paper to sheetrock that has the paper loosened due to water damage. I plan to cut the paper off a donor sheet of sheetrock.

122. Susan Douglass Says:
    December 23rd, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I wish to glue my out handle back onto my frying pan lid. The handle is porcelain. It goes on a metal screw that comes through a glass lid. Is this possible?

Thanks!

123. Robert Leitzel Says:
    January 2nd, 2014 at 9:28 am

I have a large window that has a set of sliders on bottom and then a large window on top. The windows are connected together in one frame and there is a 3 inch gap between the sliders and the window at the top. I want to put blinds up to cover the sliders at the bottom and to leave the window at the top open. The blinds require two side brackets and a center mounted bracket. I do not want to drill into the window for the center bracket. Do you have a suggestion for an adhesive product that would hold the bracket to the window frame? Thanks.

124. Nicholas Koush Says:
    January 19th, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I have a Towel ring which I have drilled onto a porcelain wall tile.
    Unfortunately, while drilling on the motor I have cracked the tile in the corner about 3cms. Oops.
    Wife not a happy camper. What I want to do is remove screws and glue on the crack so I can cover it up.
    My question is what kind of glue can I use to support a brass fixture bracket as once I glue it on it will be there for life.
    Thanks in advance.

125. Debbie Says:
    February 28th, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I’d like to refurbish exterior resin planters with a sand mixture so they look like concrete. Would you please guide me on the correct waterproof adhesive? Thanks so much!

126. LeWanda Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Hi-
    My office just went through a renovation. During this process my plastic framed cork board was removed (unscrewed) from the drywall and now I cannot put it back in that location. I want to adhere it to the metal bookcase that now serves as the wall around my desk. I have tried double-stick tape and velcro command strips and it has fallen both times. It measures 35 x 24 inches and weighs about 4lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

127. Deb Says:
    April 1st, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I have a ceramic cooktop that has a metal stainless steel rim around it. During a repair a section of the rim lifted off. Most of the rim is intact however a corner and about half of each of two sides have lifted off. How do I reattach it?

128. Official Comment:

April 7th, 2014 at 12:24 pm

LeWanda,
    Try applying magenetic, self-adhesive strips (available at The Home Depot) to the back of the plastic frame on the cork board, then stick the magnetic strips to the back of the bookcase.

129. Janet Miller Says:
    May 27th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

We purchased a 12 passenger van. The carpet and upholstery was filthy. Before taking it in for detailing we removed the seats and the plastic trays that hold the bench seats in place. They had spot adhesive all the way around the perimeter that attached them to the carpet. I have searched the internet to find out what type of glue to use to re-adhere them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

130. Janet Miller Says:
    May 27th, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I probably should have clarified my comment in that these trays do not actually hold the seats in place. The are just trim trays between the actual seat attachment mechanism and the carpet.

131. Kirk McCloskey Says:
    June 4th, 2014 at 2:18 pm

What’s the best glue to adhere a porcelain table top to wooden table base?

132. Edith Says:
    June 13th, 2014 at 11:27 am

What glue will adhere porcelaine to marble

133. Joan Nemeth Says:
    July 6th, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Hi, I remember seeing a product quite some time ago that was a clear base into which gravel or small stones could be set and seen for their beautiful colors and shapes. My church has a Labyrinth in which we would like to afix colored glass into the shapes we have created along the way. It would be onto the ground. Is there a non-toxic clear product that is pourable into which we could mix the glass so that it would be fully seen and appreciated?
    We don’t want to use concrete, as it would totally take away from the beauty of the translucent nature of the glass.

134. Vic Says:
    July 12th, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I need a glue that can stick to plastic to steel to glue a part (A Pillar driver’s side,above the inside window) no longer available for a 2004 chevy monte carlo and can withstand extreme heat and cold. Chevrolet no longer makes this part. Any help?

135. tracy Says:
    July 19th, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I have some composite decking left over and would like to glue them to bricks to make a walkway – will the polyurethane glue work? thanks in advance

136. June Says:
    August 22nd, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hi Be,n I need to know if I can glue a saucer to the bottom of a hummingbird feeder to keep it from dripping, if the necter gets on the saucer and the hummingbirds eat it will it still be toxic even though it doesn’t show and the glue is further under the feeder? what kind of glue would be best to use for plastic to the saucer which is a glass saucer !thanks for any help you can give me…June

137. eddy Says:
    September 5th, 2014 at 3:17 am

hi ben,
    i want to repair my leaked water bottle, it is breakable as it is made off “copolyester”. would u suggest which glue are most suitable to repair it and is it safe to use silicone glue in drinking water application?

138. T.Gentile Says:
    September 22nd, 2014 at 2:58 pm

what nontoxic glue is ok for copper tiles to a wood cabinet over a stove that is heat resistant and can I use it to glue copper tiles over a metal oven fan hood

Click to check out all our great giveaways!