- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How and When to Remove Unwanted Grass from Your LawnBy: Julie Day
How and when do I get rid of unwanted grass species and patches of weeds in my yard?
Fall is a great time to fix up your lawn and to tackle those patches of unwanted grass species and weeds. Even the most well-tended lawns can be infiltrated by uninvited seeds, but in the fall, your work will have the greatest chance of success. Herbicides are most effective this time of year, and it’s a great time to plant many new types of grass.
The process is as simple as killing or removing the unwanted grass, smoothing the dirt, then replanting with the desirable grass – but what’s most important is your timing. Follow these tips to time your lawn spruce up correctly:
- Spring Grass Planting: Warm-season grasses should be planted in the spring anyway. If you’re planning to re-seed with a warm-season grass next spring, you can spray an herbicide on unwanted grasses any time before the first fall frost. If you’re trying to green up your lawn with winter rye, you’ll need to spray six weeks before planting.
- How to Control Weeds in Your Lawn (article)
- How to Have a Weed-Free Lawn (article)
- How to Lay Sod and Plant Grass Seed in Your Yard (video)
- How to Seed Your Lawn (video)
- Fall Lawn Care Guide (article)
- Spring Lawn Care Guide (article)
Please Leave a Comment
4 Comments on “How and When to Remove Unwanted Grass from Your Lawn”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
Copyright © 2015 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)