How to Adjust a Pneumatic Door Closer on a Storm Door

Adjusting a pneumatic closer on a storm door.

Adjusting a pneumatic closer on a storm door.

We recently installed a storm door and are having problems closing it. When we open the door and let go, it flies shut but then doesn’t close all of the way?
-Wanda

Hi Wanda,

There are two ways to control a pneumatic door closer:

1. Adjusting the bracket that attaches the closer to the door.
  2. Turning the screw on the end of the closer that regulates the rate at which the air is released from the cylinder.

If the door doesn’t close all the way, adjust the bracket:

• Open the door and slide the stop out to hold the cylinder open.
  • Loosen the screws that attach the bracket to the door and move the bracket further out (toward the door handle).
  • Or remove the pin that secures the cylinder to the bracket and move it out to a hole further away.

If the door slams shut or closes too slowly, adjust the pneumatic cylinder:

• To slow the closing, turn the screw on the end of the pneumatic cylinder clockwise.
  • To speed up the closing, turn the screw counterclockwise.

If adjusting doesn’t help, the closer may need to be replaced. Take your old door closer with you to the home improvement center to be sure the replacement will fit the hardware on your door. Some pneumatic door closers work better than others, so buy a quality one.

Good luck with your project,

Danny

Comments

43 Comments on “How to Adjust a Pneumatic Door Closer on a Storm Door”

• Kaye Says:
    August 24th, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I bought a storm door from home deport which I dearly love we have had it a few months at first it closed great now it closes real slow I have screwed the adjust screw both ways it still won’t close faster but when I open the door it has a gurgle sound it just started when it quite closing right ,help me please

• Mat berends Says:
    June 21st, 2016 at 8:09 pm

We purchased a new Anderson storm door but when we go out and let it close it slams. I have tried adjusting it on the bottom. It works then it does not work. Is there something to do to fix this issue.

• kathy plate Says:
    April 2nd, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Searched several sites to no avail before trying yours. Should have known to start here! My question was answered quickly and well. Thanks!

• Kristi Says:
    January 11th, 2016 at 1:55 pm

My husband constantly slams our back door. I told him it would do damage eventually. Now the latch sticks and the door doesn’t stay closed so we always lock it with the deadbolt. He says the slamming had nothing to do with the damage. Please address this issue. Thank you. Kristi

August 27th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Hi Anne,
    Thanks for your feedback, and glad to hear that our post was of help!

You hit the nail on the head about our comments. While we read all the comments posted, with thousands of articles and videos on our site, it’s impossible for us to answer each individual question, though other visitors are welcome to respond.

If you have a question you would like answered, click on the “contact” tab in the navigation at the top of each page and post, fill out the form, and click submit. While we can’t answer every question that is submitted, we do answer many of them on our radio show. If your question is answered on the show, you will receive an email with a link to where you can listen to the show online.

Hope that helps!

• Anne Says:
    August 26th, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Thanks Danny for info! My neighbors thank you too… no more slaming door. You made this girl look like a pro!!!

The door manufacturer should have a customer service number you can call if you know the door brand or call one of the big box stores. They have always been very helpful.

To everyone asking questions here… as mentioned above this is for comments about the answer to a question someone submitted. See below “Submit Comment”, doesnt say “Submit Question”. You can ask questions here and maybe get an answer from another visitor.

I’m not sure this is the right way, but to ask the expert a question, go to the very bottom of this page and click on the “Sitemap” blue link, then find “Todays Homeowner Contact Directory” and click the link below it “Send us your comments and questions”. Then ask away. Hope this helps!

• pendleton Says:
    August 6th, 2015 at 3:58 pm

What is the answer to thee question above: how to adjust strength needed to open the door. My doors have two, one on top and one on the bottom…It takes super strength to open the door.

• David Says:
    July 26th, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I was able to make the adjustments as suggested in your instructions and if I open the door completely it works as expected. But that is not the normal action of opening and closing the screen door. I am an averaged sized adult male and when I either exit or enter the door there is no need to fully swing the door 90 degrees open for me to pass through. But if I do not the door abruptly slams shut with a loud “BANG!” no matter where I set the adjustment on the screws. Any suggestions?

• Andrew Kritzer Says:
    July 19th, 2015 at 11:46 am

The screen door was opened too far. As a result, the pneumatic closer was stripped away from the door. The holes are not too large to place new screws in the door. Any recommendations on how to apply the closer? As an FYI, the door has a large glass, so there are not too many options to remount.

• BRUCE LANDIS Says:
    July 3rd, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Is there a way to make door open easier aka take less force to open? Closing is ok Have top & bottom closers

• monty dubs Says:
    June 25th, 2015 at 1:29 pm

my aunt has a very heavy storm and it hits her everytime , can you buy a closer with two screws for adjustment, I think this would fix problem

• Sue Coody Says:
    June 5th, 2015 at 7:52 pm

We recently installed a pneumatic door closer–working fine except that when it closes, it almost stops at about 3-4 inches out, then closes with a loud beep/squeak that sounds exactly like a smoke detector. Help

• Mirza Alikhan Says:
    May 13th, 2015 at 6:56 pm

My new screen door closure seems to function reverse of how its supposed to. It closes so fast that you can barely get out of the way and in the last few inches it almost stops and does not have the force to latch shut. Adjusting the screw makes it slow through its full swing and the last few inches the door creeps for 10 minutes before attempting to close (and does not latch). I noticed the adjusting screw goes into a threaded seat with two diametrically opposed slots. I am wondering if this seat was not installed reverse of what it should have been. I expected the air to bleed slowly through its closing until at the last few inches when it should release quickly to effect latching. Please advise.

• George Pachner Says:
    April 16th, 2015 at 8:34 am

Hello, My Larson Full View storm door closes fine. It is hard to open however and closes against you while entering the house. This has caused the screen to stretch. I need to correct this before replacing the screen. Appreciate your help.

• rick weissinger Says:
    April 2nd, 2015 at 5:17 pm

We had 2 exterior doors and glass storm doors installed on opposite sides of the house. When the exterior doors are open and you adjust the glass storm doors they close fine. But when you close the exterior doors the storm doors will not close all the way and latch. The pneumatic openers are not rubbing on the exterior doors. I can not get them to adjust to close and latch when the exterior doors are closed. This happens on both doors as the exterior doors and storm doors are the same.

• Ginny Says:
    March 14th, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Thank you…you made it sound easy! (I would wait for the maintenance guy but I think I can do this one on my own.)

• Leonid Lev Says:
    March 13th, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I want to repair a pneumatic device that keeps a cabinet door opening upwards. There 2 installed a kitchen cabinet door and after some time they keep the door not strong enough
    Regards

• Thomas Says:
    January 14th, 2015 at 5:23 am

Danny,
    My dad installed a glass storm door about a month ago. Unfortunately, since he installed it there has been a major draft. I can’t find online how to adjust it so I was hoping that you could shed some light on the situation so I can fix it and be warm again haha? thank you in advance for your help.

Tom

• Andy Says:
    October 18th, 2014 at 2:33 pm

That was helpful. Thanks, Danny.

• steve H Says:
    September 28th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

As I was about to install the closure piston to my door, I pulled the rod out about 6 inches just to see that it worked well. Now I can’t get the rod back into place to complete my installation. It comes out more but the top release button doesn’t move to get it back in place. Is this defected or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks, S. H.

• Holly Evans Says:
    August 19th, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Hi Danny, I was cleaning a ladies home today and open her storm door a little further than usual and it locked and now it will not shut. It is a wright storm door and has a white button on the door closing cylinder that popped out as I extended the storm door open wide. I tried to bush the button bak inward but it will not go and I’ve googled it every way I can think of. If you can please tell me how to close this storm door I will be forever thankful!! Holly Evans from East Tennessee

• markmarkrafferty Says:
    July 21st, 2014 at 4:55 pm

how do you adjust TWIN cylinders on a screen door ??? I notice one has adjustment and one is wide open. Is that normal?? the one wide open I tried to adjust it but the screw on the end has NO affect.

• Cheryl Says:
    July 4th, 2014 at 12:32 pm

My parents installed a new storm door and the closer opens very stiff. It also shuts fast so I tried to adjust the screw at the end of the closer. I can’t get it just right but hopefully I can figure that out. Is there a way to adjust the pressure when it opens? Does the screw at the end have anything to do with that? I’m wondering if I have to adjust the screws where it is hooked to the door? Thank you!

• Ben Says:
    June 3rd, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Similar to another question. About midway when closing I hear a ‘clunk’ and it almost look like the whole cylinder has moved and is temporarily in a bind. Then goes ahead and closes properly. Any ideas?

October 30th, 2013 at 8:10 am

Hi Carole,
    The comments section under each post is for visitors to leave comments about the post. While it’s not meant to be a question and answer forum, visitors are free to answer each other’s questions if they like.

• Carole Hein Says:
    October 30th, 2013 at 3:00 am

I see a lot of questions but no answers. Where do I find the answers?

• Gary Says:
    October 1st, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Here is a prior posting from 11/7/12…I have the exact same q’s – how/where do I find the response answer?

Dave Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 5:01 pm
    Just installed a new Andersen storm door. The door opens but not wide enough. We’ve adjusted the brackets but still the door doesn’t open far enough. What now? Do we need a different closure than the one that came with it? Does the cylinder of the closure twist to lengthen the closure rod? Do we need to make new holes in the door frame to move the adjustment bracket? Thanks.

• May Althouse Says:
    July 23rd, 2013 at 11:11 pm

We have just recently put an Andersen Storm door on our back door and you cannot get in and out of the door without it trying to SLAM SHUT on you!!!! This is too annoying for me!! We have tried EVERYTHING there is to try to adjust the closer speed and NOTHING has worked. Is our Closer just bad?? Should we replace it?

Please help!! I can’t take this door much longer!! Getting slammed on everyday will wear you out!! and make me want to SMASH the door!

• Bill Scilingo Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Our Larson storm door closes completely when the house door remains open. When the house door is closed, this storm door does not close well enough to latch. What can I do to remedy this problem?

• Orette Smith Says:
    January 10th, 2013 at 9:59 am

I have a question. I have a main entrance door that has a commercial door closer mounted on it. The problem I am having is that the door swings back very fast and forceful when it is open and when it reaches about 10 degree before it close it closes slowly. It is a public door and many persons complained about the force at which the door swings back. There are two screws that are mounted on the cylinder that allowed for adjustment, one above that has number 1 printed next to it and the second one below with number 2 printed next to it. what adjustment these two screws are used for. I am not sure which adjust what.Can someone please tell me

• Dave Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

• Sue Clark Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Installed new storm door, the door closes when the house door is open, but stops and does not close all the way when the house door is closed????? does not hit anything on the house door…..Help

September 16th, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hi Marilyn,
    Glad to hear our article was of help!

• Marilyn Says:
    September 16th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

What terrific advise. I was ready to buy a new door closure. Slammed shut so bad, I was waiting for the glass to break. Did not know about the end screw. Guess it was a female thing. Door works PERFECTLY now and no money spent !!! Thanks

• debbie Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Hi,

I just installed a new hydraulic cylinder. Everything seems fine, it closes at the right speed. The problem is the door doesn’t seem to open as widely as it used to. We have to force it open further. The cylinder mechanism does pull out that far but it seems forced. Is it a bad cylinder? The screw to have the door close faster or slower doesn’t have any affect on this issue. Thanks for your help

• Jim Says:
    July 26th, 2012 at 10:18 am

Is there a storm door closer that will not allow the door to initially close so quick and with such force that it tries to hit your foot before you can get in the door? 92 year mother with a cane can’t safely get it the storm door with out the door hitting her in the back if her foot. Caused her to fall just the other day. Any suggestions short of removing the storm door? Thanks.

• Chester Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 8:22 am

I have a larson storm Door and am looking for the new closers, kick and go in the blue color.No one around here have it in color only black or white Where can I find these?

• Carlos Says:
    April 4th, 2011 at 2:35 am

I just installed a storm door and as soon as I opened the door the stopper wouldn’t close anymore. Any ideas?

• lem Says:
    October 25th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Thanks lots, the instruction was simple and helpful.

• Sandie Says:
    July 29th, 2010 at 10:45 am

Danny,
    Thank You, for the easy to follow instructions for adjusting pneumatic door closer. This has been on my husbands to do list for a year now. He has been working a lot, so their never seems to be enough time for him to get all his house chores done. So with your help I was able to do this for him.
    So let me see what is next? I`m sure I will be emailing you again,

Sandie

• J. GRIMM Says:
    June 21st, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Two questions:

1. How do you determine whether a light , medium, or heavy duty pneumatic screen door closer is needed.

2. What brand and model or part number is considered the best on the market today for an aluminum 36″ screen door? A closer that closes smoothly without slamming shut!

• Ricarda Thier Says:
    March 8th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a pneumatic device that keeps a cabinet door opening upwards open. This wpuld be for a kitchen door and I would need two of those.

Thank you for your help in this matter.
    Kind regards
    Ricarda Thier

• Charles Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Hello Danny, I have a door with a concealed door closer “Regent Hardware”. The problem I’m having is that I started hearing a crick noise when the door is pushed open near the top. Presently the door refuses to stay shut if not without the assistance of the magnetic catch for the alarm i.e. in the middle of the frame. The door is 10 degrees off, meaning it swings close, then swings open again about 10 degrees. Can please you assist me? Thanks.