- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Apply Cement Backer Board to a Plastic Laminate CountertopBy: Danny Lipford
I plan to install tile on a Formica countertop with 1/4” cement backer board. Do I need to apply thin-set mortar between the backer board and Formica to stick it down? -John
I would both glue and screw the cement backer board down to the plastic laminate countertop, using either thin set or construction adhesive, before laying the tile. This will make the backer board more rigid, and prevent the tile from cracking or coming loose.
Gluing the backer board to the countertop is particularly important when using 1/4” thick cement backer board, since it’s more flexible than 1/2” backer board.
Good luck with your project,
- Tips for Cutting Cement Backer Board
- How to Install a Granite Tile Countertop
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash (video)
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “How to Apply Cement Backer Board to a Plastic Laminate Countertop”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
- Installing Cement Backer Board on a Wood Subfloor Before Tiling
- Using Warped Cement Backer Board When Tiling a Floor
- How to Cut Holes in Cement Backer Board with a Jigsaw
- How to Secure Cement Backer Board to a Plywood Subfloor
- Installing Tile Over Vinyl Flooring
- Can You Lay Tile Directly Over a Plywood Subfloor?
- Today's Homeowner Partners: