- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Choose Between Brick and Concrete PaversBy: Julie Day
What’s the difference between brick and concrete paving stones? We want to build a walkway and are trying to decide between the different kinds of paver materials. -Anita
The term “paver” refers to thin, flat stones designed for use in paving projects such as walkways, patios, and driveways. Both brick and concrete pavers are installed the same way, and both offer years of use and durability.
The choice between brick and concrete pavers largely depends on your personal taste. However, here are some tips to help you make your decision:
Bricks are made from clay that’s formed into shape and cured by baking in a kiln (like pottery). However, be careful when shopping for pavers, since the word “brick” is sometimes used to describe the shape of the stone – rather than the material – so you might see “concrete bricks” that aren’t technically bricks at all.
Advantages of Clay Brick Pavers:
- Eco-Friendly: In addition to being made from all natural materials, bricks are frequently salvaged, cleaned, and reused, making them a more sustainable choice.
Disadvantages of Brick Pavers:
- More Breakable: While all pavers are durable, bricks are more likely to crack under heavy vehicle traffic. They’re also more likely to chip or shear, but the solid coloring makes small blemishes less noticeable than on concrete pavers.
Concrete pavers are made from cement and aggregate that is poured into forms, compressed, and air cured. Concrete can be formed into all sorts of shapes and sizes and pigmented in a wide range of colors.
Advantages of Concrete Pavers:
- Easier to Install: Concrete pavers are precisely uniform and easier to cut, so they’re a popular choice for DIY projects.
Disadvantages of Concrete Pavers:
- Shorter Life Span: While initially holding up better to traffic than brick, concrete pavers have a shorter lifespan (a couple of decades vs. generations).
- How to Lay a Paver Patio (vide/article)
- How to Build a Brick Paver Patio in Your Yard (video)
- Filling Joints in Paver Patios (video)
- How to Lay Brick Pavers on a Concrete Slab Porch (video)
Please Leave a Comment
6 Comments on “How to Choose Between Brick and Concrete Pavers”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2015 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)