How to Green Up Your Lawn with Iron Supplement

Bag of ironite fertilizer
If you’ve ever wondered how your neighbor gets such a dark green lawn, the answer just might be iron. A favorite secret weapon of lawn care professionals and golf courses, iron supplements help to impart a lush, deep, blue-green color to lawn grasses.

Iron is particularly effective with fescue and bluegrass, helping these grasses stay deep green during the hot summer months without the increased growth (and subsequent water needs) caused by nitrogen fertilizers. Iron also helps control moss and is the active ingredient in products such as Moss Out.

Types of Iron Lawn Supplements

There are two main types of iron supplements:

Container of liquid iron supplement

• Synthetic Iron Fertilizer: Manufactured iron rich fertilizers, such as Ironite, are an inexpensive and fast-acting supplement. They are usually spread as granules, with foliar sprays also available that can produce results within days. The disadvantage of synthetic iron fertilizers is that they can turn your lawn gray if over applied, and if you’re not careful when spreading, they will stain your concrete driveway a rusty-orange.
  • Organic Iron Fertilizer: Organic sources of iron, such as Milorganite and greensand, are slower to break down, but the iron is naturally chelated, which makes it more readily absorbed by the plants. Organic iron sources won’t stain your concrete, and they contain other nutrients that naturally build up your soil and lawn.

How to Apply Iron Lawn Supplements

The best time to apply iron to your lawn is in the spring, when temperatures are in the 60s to 70s F. Avoid spraying or applying iron during hot weather. Follow package instructions exactly, to prevent overdosing.

Grasses don’t require a lot of iron, and it’s generally not needed unless your soil test indicates an iron deficiency. If your lawn is yellow, first make sure it’s getting enough water and regular nutrients before trying iron supplements.

11 Comments on “How to Green Up Your Lawn with Iron Supplement”

1. tricia Says:
    May 30th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

can you use turf supreme my grass is patchy and not doing good this year

2. Rita Pulaski Says:
    August 12th, 2012 at 6:45 am

I just caught your show this morning. I have been taking care of my lawn for several years after giving more money to lawn care people and getting no results. The lawn is usually in good shape, but I have problem areas. Last year I did put down seed in the fall and it did come grow in some of the areas. I do have some sandy mix. I would like to try the iron and the fescue. I have never seen the suggestions on any other show or page.
    Thanks Rita

3. Stuart Says:
    July 24th, 2014 at 8:01 am

Iron is a good way to promote more chlorophyll, and greener grass without promoting a lot of growth. It can be applied in the summer if the grass is not dormant. I use a sugar-chelated Liquid Iron. It has a bit of nitrogen and manganese in it to help it work faster.

4. Frances Mitchell Says:
    July 30th, 2014 at 5:11 pm

does iron help get rid of weeds too?

5. John Doane Jr. Says:
    August 23rd, 2014 at 8:47 pm

How does iron help yards that use reclaim water?

6. Hal Phillips Says:
    November 4th, 2014 at 6:15 pm

What is the shelf life of liquid iron supplements? I have two gallon jugs that are both probably over 5 years old and wonder if they would be dangerous or ineffective to use on my lawn next Spring. HP

7. steve Says:
    January 19th, 2015 at 8:16 am

Can you apply Iron in the winter months? I live in north FL. and it does get cold at night but is in the 60s in the day?

8. Marta Says:
    February 25th, 2015 at 5:08 am

Does the iron kill the weeds .

9. fred Says:
    March 8th, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I LIVE IN NAMPA ID IN APPLING IRON WHAT IS A GOOD SETTING ON MY SPREADER..i assume ALOW SETTING…CAN I OVER DO IT AND IF I DO WILL THE GRass be ruined ? Im getting ready to do ,my fertilizing for the spring.. thks fred

10. melanie davenport Says:
    June 22nd, 2015 at 2:42 pm

The lawn care company we use just liquid fertilized my yard this past Friday. When they did it stained my fence because of the liquid iron in it. they used Primera One and now my wood fence that was only 5 weeks old is stained. I feel bad for them but need it fixed. They are offering to replace, but I am wondering if you have a suggestion to clean it. Turned gray.

11. RANDY Says:
    July 25th, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I’ve used IRONITE in the summer on my kentucy blue grass in the summer to green it up never had any problems…EXCEPT I also got some on the sidewalk and concrete driveway, and yes iron leaves a rust stain which literally had to wear off…

Click to check out all our great giveaways!