How to Grow Gerbera Daisies from Seed

By: Julie Day
Gerbera daisy flowers.

Gerbera daisies make a beautiful addition to any garden.

Gerbera daisies are a little tricky to grow from seed, but it definitely can be done. Follow these tips for propagating and growing Gerbera daisies from seed in your garden.

• Collect Viable Seeds: This is the most important tip! Your Gerbera daisy blossom will soon start to look like a dandelion, covered in seeds, but most of those seeds aren’t viable. The seeds look kind of like little brooms, with a hairy brush at one end and the seed at the other. Sort through the seeds, and choose only the ones with a fat, fertilized seed pod.
  • Help Pollinate Flowers: To help your plant make more viable seeds, use a small brush (like a makeup brush) to spread pollen from flower to flower. Or when you cut a blossom to use in a flower arrangement, rub its face against another flower to help spread the pollen.
  • Plant Seeds Now: Fresh seeds germinate better, so plant the seeds right away.
Gerbera daisy seeds.

Unfertilized Gerbera daisy seeds (left), and viable Gerbera daisy seeds (right).

How to Plant and Grow Gerbera Daisy Seeds

Preparing to plant daisy seeds.

Preparing to plant daisy seeds.

Step #1: Prepare Trays: Fill trays or pots with a light seed starting medium, or make your own mix using peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. Dampen the medium with water.

Step #2: Plant Seeds: Use a toothpick to poke a hole in the planting medium. Plant the Gerbera daisy seeds with the seed end pointing down, and the little brush part just barely at the top of the soil.

Step #3: Grow Seeds: Keep the seeds moist, but not waterlogged, and above 70° F, with eight hours or more of bright light per day. The easiest way to do this is to cover the trays with a clear plastic tent and place them indoors in a bright window or under grow lights. When the Gerbera daisy seeds germinate in two to three weeks, remove the plastic cover but keep the seedlings moist.

Gerbera daisy seedling.

Gerbera daisy seedling.

Step #4: Transplant Seedlings: After the Gerbera daisy seedlings have developed two sets of true leaves, you can carefully transplant the plants to larger pots.

Step #5: Harden Plants: When it’s consistently warm outside, and the Gerbera daisy plants are hardy and growing, move the pots outdoors to a protected spot for a few days to get the young plants used to the breezes and temperature shifts found outside.

Step #6: Enjoy Flowers: At this point, you can leave the daisies in their pots or plant them in the yard. Locate the plants in a spot with plenty of morning sun and a little afternoon shade to keep them from wilting. Feed the plants regularly with a balanced organic fertilizer, and keep them watered but not soggy.

Gerbera daisy flowers.

Beautiful Gerbera daisy flowers can brighten up any garden.

Comments

16 Comments on “How to Grow Gerbera Daisies from Seed”

• Helgard Says:
    April 12th, 2016 at 3:44 am

This is most probably the best article that I have read about growing Gerbera daisies from seeds. I have grown about ten Gerbera daisies from seeds this year but that was pure luck. I am sure that I will be more successful by following the above instructions. Thank you!!

• Janet Says:
    January 11th, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I have the gerbera daisies in a small green house. Am in zone 5. After germination, they have two tiny leaves, what temperature should I keep gerbera daisies?

• Deborah Marcum Says:
    January 10th, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I live in zone 8 and was wondering when would be a good time to plant seeds inside for transplanting outside in spring?

• dasha Says:
    November 10th, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Hello . I live on the big island of Hawaii. In captain cook , its on the kona side . I love gerberas. So where can I buy the seeds locally? And can I even grow gerberas in this zone . I try to grow them in idaho but realize , they gotta be at least in zone 9. Thank you .dasha

• Diganta Kesari Patnaik Says:
    October 30th, 2015 at 1:10 pm

As I am for the first time going to experiment growing Gerbera from seeds. The tips read above will be very very handy. Thank a ton for the tips.

• Brenda Owens Says:
    October 18th, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Very interesting, had no idea about the seed process. Thanks so much for the information. I know I can do this now! Thank You! 🙂

• VIJAY Says:
    October 1st, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Sir, I am a small farmer.Guide me how to grow gerbera in my farm. From where I could get garbera seeds near by panel. Also what type of soil/climate/water required for good and healthy flowers to grow.

• ray dowinton Says:
    August 4th, 2015 at 10:12 pm

When is the best time to plant gerbera seeds? I live in Perth western Australia.
    Ray

• sushil kumar Says:
    July 3rd, 2015 at 7:00 am

I am a small farmer of gerbera flowers. Please detail how to grows seeds and seeds to grow planting.

• Stephanie Says:
    June 12th, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Can new colors emerge if two are combined?

• Carolyn Kennedy Says:
    March 21st, 2015 at 11:37 pm

going out to get started straight away. Thank you. CK

• esther Says:
    March 14th, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I sow so many pack of gerbera and they would not germinate I live in Barbados

• Julia Says:
    November 29th, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Thank you. This explains why I have not been able to get my seeds to germinate. I never realized that I needed to differentiate between the the skinny seeds and the fat seeds. Hopefully, I’ll have better luck now.

• Stacy Says:
    November 12th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

How do you keep the seeds over the winter? Obviously, I’m not going to plant them in November.

• Semone Cowham Says:
    October 17th, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Thanks, really useful and clear instructions. The pictures help in identifying the seeds to use 🙂

• Danielle Says: