How to Grow Houseplants in Artificial Light

Look for full spectrum bulbs with a mix of cool and warm wavelengths.

If you’re trying to grow houseplants indoors, you’ll find that some rooms of your house are low in natural light. Sunlight is the perfect balance of wavelengths necessary for plant growth and blooming, but you can also use artificial light to help your plants along. In fact, low-light foliage plants (such as pothos and peace lily) can grow quite nicely in windowless offices with enough artificial light.

In order to grow, plants need:

• Blue wavelength light for foliage growth.
  • Red wavelength light for flowering and fruiting.
  • Plants have little use for green wavelengths and reflect them back, which is why leaves appear green.

Replace regular bulbs with CFLs to save energy and help your houseplants.

Types of Artificial Lights

For serious indoor growing and starting plants from seeds, you’ll need hanging tube fixtures placed right over your plants. You can buy special grow light kits that include fixtures and reflectors, but for regular houseplants you can really use any lamp or light fixture as long as you choose the bulbs carefully and place the lamps where your plants can benefit most.

Artificial lighting:

• Fluorescent lights are by far the most economical and easy choice for houseplants. They come in tubes or compact bulbs (CFL) that screw into regular lamp sockets, and they’re cool enough to put close to plant foliage. Generic fluorescent tubes and bulbs are higher in blue wavelengths, so look for “full-spectrum” or include a mix of “cool” and “warm” bulbs. When in doubt, buy “cool white” products, since white light contains the full spectrum of wavelengths. For maximum effect, position fluorescents about a foot away from plant foliage.
  • Incandescent lights give off a lot of heat and should be placed farther away from plant foliage. Incandescent bulbs give off more red wavelengths, so they can be used to supplement fluorescent light and balance out the spectrum, especially if you’re trying to encourage plants to bloom. If you want to mix the two, try using a ratio of about one-third incandescent and two-thirds fluorescent by wattage.
  • LED lights are also a low heat, energy-efficient artificial light source. Because LED technology is so customizable, every bulb is different, so make sure your bulbs produce the blues and reds necessary for plants. Horticultural LED grow-lights produce only the wavelengths most utilized by plants, so you may want to look for these bulbs rather than buying ones for general use.
  • Halogen lights can also provide full-spectrum light, but like incandescents they put off a lot of heat and are less energy-efficient than fluorescents.
  • Horticultural grow lights are generally packaged in tubes for fluorescent fixtures. They contain the full spectrum of wavelengths needed for blooming plants such as African violets. Some gardeners find them useful when starting seeds or propagating hybrids, but others find that simple full-spectrum fluorescents work just as well.

Lighting Tip

Beware of light bulbs simply labeled as “plant” bulbs, such as these “Spot-Gro” bulbs. They’re designed to make your plants LOOK better by making them appear more green, but they’re really just tinted incandescent bulbs.

Easy plant lighting for room with low natural light:

• Find a standing lamp with three bulbs, ideally one with moveable or gooseneck fixtures.
  • Use one incandescent bulb and two compact fluorescent bulbs of the highest wattage you can, within the safe wattage rating for the fixture.
  • Aim the lights toward your plant table. If each fixture is separately movable, then put the fluorescent bulbs closer than the incandescent, to avoid heat damage.
  • Place a mirror or other reflective surface underneath your plants, to reflect light back up onto the foliage.
  • Attach a timer set to 16 hours per day.

18 Comments on “How to Grow Houseplants in Artificial Light”

1. Lynda Boomer Says:
    April 11th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thank you. This article was very helpful.

2. Kaden Moore Says:
    September 16th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

When was this article published?

3. maxine hartley Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I just replaced all my incandescent ceiling lights with warm white LED lignts. I have many low light plants that have done fine with the incandescents, my question is how will they do with the LEDs?

4. Nadjib Says:
    May 19th, 2014 at 7:02 am

Please I want to know if I put 24/24 h light on the plants, does that affect them ?, if it doesn’t affect plants, does that continuous light can help plants grow faster than natural? .
    Best Regards, Nadjib.

5. Ellie Says:
    July 11th, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hi Nadjib,

Plants need a dark rest period. They won’t grow better if there is continuous light- in fact, this can mess up their growth cycles and stunt the plant. It’s best to offer plants around 12-14 hours of light. You can get a timer for your lamps to help regulate this. Hope this helps!

6. deepti Says:
    July 14th, 2014 at 3:15 pm

my tulsi plant leaves are shedding and where we leave we have no sunlight and i put the plant one week before please help as i cant see the plant dying

7. Zeeshan Says:
    November 5th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I want to grow my grass in the garden. (Over the winter period eg November when it’s till not too cold). Will floodlights work?

Garden is about 6m by 16m wide.

I have four 1000w halogen floodlights. The type they have in outdoor security lights. Am I just wasting my money or will it work. If so how much is the result.

8. Laura Says:
    November 10th, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thank you for this great information! I was wondering if different plants *need* different light from the spectrum in order to survive. I have a 32w compact flourescent grow bulb (160w equivalent) by Agrosun. It is 120V, medium base, 1800 lumens, 6400K. My son showed me where 6400K is on the light wavelength. Do different plants require different wattage, lumens, K, etc.? I have some tropicals that I am trying to over winter. They are for zones 10a and 10b, and I’m in zone 7 (or 7a).

9. mark christian Says:
    December 9th, 2014 at 6:17 am

how to setup artificial planting?

10. jen Says:
    December 29th, 2014 at 9:49 am

I’m looking for a grow light that fits into a ceiling fan, any leads?

11. Elizabeth Bate Says:
    January 8th, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Help! I read above that I should use a 3 light fixture adjustable goose neck lamp fixture for my indoor plants. Where can I buy such a thing. I have exhausted myself searching (too many to count) websites to no avail. Any other suggestions for adjustable lamp fixtures to light my Peace Lilies would be so much appreciated.

12. Lynn Says:
    January 24th, 2015 at 12:37 am

Thanks for this straight forward information it was just what I was looking for. Everything else I found was NOT straightforward and seemed to be designed to sell equipment for someone operating a grow op. I now have a warm, humidified room with a five socket lamp on a timer for my houseplants to take refuge from the drafty and extreme temperatures of the Canadian Jan and Feb.

13. Trevor Says:
    January 31st, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I have my bedroom and parlor set up with varying wattages of CFL lights so that when fully lit, they are essentially grow rooms, but with just a lamp or two lit, they are comfortable living spaces. I use a range from the CFL equivalents of three 200 watt lightbulbs, two 100 watt light bulbs and four 150 watt light bulbs. They are all in soft white. They work amazingly- my plants have no clue it’s winter- I’m still fertilizing and they are still growing! If you want to spend the money, you could replace your ceiling lights with 300 watt CFL replacements- these alone are enough for a room with three plants placed within good range of each ceiling light!

14. Ninuk Smith Says:
    February 4th, 2015 at 7:22 am

Living in Scotland I need a suitable light supplement for my kaffirlime tree about 1 1/2 ft high that I just bought. Preferable a free standing one. What and where can I buy such lighting? When the sun does shine it will only get the afternoon sun.

15. Pam Mckenize Says:
    October 6th, 2015 at 5:20 pm

What is the best care for growing hibiscus indoor? They were outside for the summer did super well never stopped blooming, and I would like to maintain them just the same.

16. PHILIP TSAI Says:
    October 20th, 2015 at 12:20 pm

17. Tommy Says:
    November 10th, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Hey, I am playing around with plant growth and was wondering if plants can be underlit? like can the lights be placed bellow the plants shining up at them or do they have to be suspended above?

18. Paddy Flynn Says:
    November 23rd, 2015 at 7:58 am

Thank you, this is good information.

Click to check out all our great giveaways!