How to Grow Pomegranate Plants from Seed

Pomegranate fruit

Can I grow a pomegranate from seed? -Sandy

You sure can! Pomegranate seeds usually germinate pretty easily, and they can be started indoors over the winter for planting outside in the spring.

Keep in mind, though, that many pomegranates in the grocery store are hybrids, which means that their seeds may not produce fruits identical to the parent. If you want to ensure the same type of fruit, you’re better off propagating the plants through cuttings.

Follow these tips to plant pomegranate seeds:

• For best results, start pomegranate seeds indoors in mid-winter, so that they can have a couple of months to grow before spring planting season.
  • Simply scoop out some seeds and rinse them in cool water, then rub them with a paper towel to remove the pulp.
  • Allow the seeds to dry for a few days to keep them from rotting.
  • Plant the seeds no more than ¼” deep in lightweight, seed-starting potting soil.
  • Put the pot in a sunny, warm window, and keep the soil moist as your seeds germinate and grow.
  • For added humidity and warmth during winter, you may find it helpful to cover the pot loosely with a clear plastic bag until the seeds have sprouted.
  • When the weather warms in spring, you can begin gradually hardening off the plants before moving them permanently outdoors. Even though mature plants can handle some cold, wait until freezing weather has passed before planting your seedlings.

About Pomegranates

Pomegranate bushes grow in zones 7-10, and they need full sun and well-drained soil. Once established, they’re fairly drought-tolerant, making pomegranate well-suited for mild desert climates. It may take 3-5 years for your new plant to produce fruit.

10 Comments on “How to Grow Pomegranate Plants from Seed”

1. Robert Garrison Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 10:51 am

I live in middle Tennessee. It snows in the winter and sometimes exceeds 100 degrees in the summer. I have fig trees and an avacado that survived last winter which was relative mild, although we had below freezing but none lower than 15 degrees. The avacado tree was dead down to 2 inches of the top of ground. It is sprouting and “leaving out”. The figs are all doing great and fully leaving out and growing new sprouts.

2. Hayden Fender Says:
    January 28th, 2014 at 3:31 am

I live in canada, our winter right now just went to minus 40 with wind chill.

3. Grace Says:
    August 22nd, 2014 at 10:00 am

I want to know if it can grow anywhere in the world, thanks

4. Myrtle Says:
    November 4th, 2014 at 10:52 am

Where can I buy sweet pomegranate plants or bushes?

5. jeff Says:
    March 24th, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Can you grow pomegranate in Highland Honduras? Night temps. about 62 and day temps avg. 80.

6. zamir Says:
    May 28th, 2015 at 9:54 am

I live in Western Australia Thank you for helpful information about pomegranate I did plants 200 trees from the seeds of pomegranate it growing nicely.

7. Julie Gardner Says:
    August 23rd, 2015 at 11:40 am

I live in Houston where we have mild winters and super hot summers. I was wondering if I could plant seeds in the Fall and move them indoors on extra cold days during the winter. I’ve purchased 2 plants this summer; one from a local nursery and one from Amazon. Both are doing well. I want to see if I can grow them from scratch now.

8. Amy Sliter Says:
    September 3rd, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I appreciated your information that is straight and clear. I live in the desert and found out that the seeds I would like to have grow are suited to this zone, by using your links. Thank you.

9. Bob R. Says:
    September 16th, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I live in central Florida, Found a pomegranate floating in the Indian River. Saved and planted 4 seeds, Got 4 plants – 2 survived. Have them in 6″ pots right now. Plants are about 18″ high. Will be setting them out very soon. Hope to get some fruit soon.

10. bilha kiptugen Says:
    September 25th, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I live in Kenya where the sun shines almost throughout the year except for a few months beginning July but the temperatures are friendly. Can i grow pomegranate fruit?

Click to check out all our great giveaways!