How to Install Landscape Fabric and Plastic

Landscape fabric and plastic can help prevent weeds and control erosion by holding the soil in place and keeping weeds from sprouting. While both products are easy to install, there are some important considerations to take into account when choosing the one that best fits your needs.

Read on to find out more about the difference between landscape fabric and plastic sheeting, and for step-by-step instructions on installing landscape fabric or plastic sheeting in your yard.

Read More: Next Page >>

7 Comments on “How to Install Landscape Fabric and Plastic”

1. Michelle Says:
    April 17th, 2011 at 11:09 am

I am looking for long narrow strips of plastic to lay for a shelter belt we’re planting on our farm. I have seen farmers with them but don’t know where a person would find such a product. thanks for your help.

2. Dawna Says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’m so glad I found this site. I’ve been struggling with bits of plastic EVERYWHERE I work in the yard of the fixer upper we moved into last summer. The plastic was laid down about 20 years ago and, from the looks of it, bushes were planted right on top. I have root systems from butterfly bushes, lilacs, blackberries, roses, and evergreens all growing across the sheeting, under all the weeds that have grown anyway. It’s such a nuisance! I think I’d rather have just weeds to pull!

3. Brian Says:
    May 23rd, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Is there a top and bottom side to landscape fabric?

4. KP Says:
    February 25th, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’m pulling ten year old plastic out of gardens, flower beds, etc right now. I used to be ok with it, until I saw the soil compaction problems-seriously, everything under the plastic is dead soil (and the soil over it is loaded with nasty stuff, since it prevented natural soil filtration to occur). Not only that, but all winter, we had drainage problems throughout the beds. As I’ve pulled the plastic, the problem has disappeared. I will never use plastic ever again. Mulch is way better weed control method for the ecosystem and my house’s foundation!

5. Holly Says:
    January 2nd, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I have a large, deep flower bed that has been a beautiful, “curb appeal” that runs between the house and driveway. I have enjoyed it for 25+ years, but it has gotten to be more than I can take care of. I want to zero scape it with river rocks. I have a sprinkler system. I am leaving a few large crape myrtles and pecan trees in the bed. I’m told that I need to place the plastic down before covering with the rocks, otherwise the rocks will sink into the existing mulch/soil. I Don’t think I want to do this because I feel the plants will not do well. Sooo, lay plastic or not?

6. ginger Says:
    June 27th, 2014 at 4:30 pm

If I lay down plastic for my flower bed will my lily grow and come up every year more and more like they normal do or should I leave the plastic out

7. Chris Says:
    September 4th, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Can I use my old intex Pool liner which i will cut into circles and top with mulch or rocks around my trees to keeps grass from growing around.