- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Install Radiant Floor Heating on an Existing Concrete SlabBy: Danny Lipford
I have a concrete slab foundation and want to install laminate flooring on top of it. Is there a way for me to heat the slab under the flooring without tearing up the concrete? -Lyle
There are several manufacturers of electric radiant floor heating systems that can be placed directly on top of an existing concrete slab. Some look like wire fencing that you roll out over the floor. I don’t particularly like them, however, because they’re not very energy efficient.
Another option for radiant floor heating that is energy efficient are systems that circulate hot water through small tubes under the floor. These radiant floor heating systems can also be installed on top of a slab before the flooring goes down.
There are several manufacturers of this type of radiant floor heating. One I’ve used that worked well is made by Uponor. Here’s how to go about installing it:
- Secure a plywood subfloor to the concrete slab.
- Screw down a track with precut grooves for plastic tubing to the plywood subfloor.
- Insert flexible plastic tubing into the track.
- Connect the plastic tubing to a pump, which is connected to a separate water heater that circulates hot water through the tubing.
- Install wood or laminate flooring on top of the track.
Good luck with your project,
- Advantages of Radiant Floor Heating for Your Home (video)
- How to Install Radiant Floor Heating in Your Home (video)
- Uponor Quick Trak Radiant Heating Flooring System (video)
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Install Radiant Floor Heating on an Existing Concrete Slab”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2015 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)