- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Make Your Home Secure from Burglary and Break-InBy: Danny Lipford
By following these simple DIY home security suggestions, you can greatly reduce the chance that your home will be subject to burglary or break-in while you are at home or away.
Home Security Tips
- Do not hide a key outside your home.
- Install motion sensor flood lights around the outside of your home.
- Trim overgrown shrubs and trees that are near windows and doors.
- Install sturdy locks on windows.
- Keep windows closed and locked when you’re away from home.
- Add a track lock to sliding glass doors, or place a pipe or board in the track to prevent the door from being forced open.
- Install quality deadbolts on all the exterior doors of your home. Programmable combination keypad locks are available that allow access without a key.
- Reinforce deadbolt strike plates and door jamb on exterior doors using 3” long screws and heavy duty metal reinforcement plates.
- Install a viewer (peephole) in your front door, or a video monitoring system.
- Make sure garage doors lock securely.
- Keep sheds, boats, and equipment stored in your yard under lock and key.
- Install a quality safe that is bolted to the wall or floor.
- Do not open your door to someone you don’t know.
- Install a home alarm system. Inexpensive DIY models that use wireless technology are available, as well as professionally installed systems that require a monthly fee.
Combination keypad lock
Security Tips When Away from Home
- Have a neighbor pick up your newspapers and mail, or call or go online to stop delivery.
- Remember to set the alarm system before you leave home.
- Leave a radio playing while away.
- Use timers to turn lamp lamps on and off.
- Check to see that all windows and doors are securely locked.
- Close all blinds or drapes.
- Do not leave a message on your answering machine message indicating that you will not be home.
Home alarm system
Video Surveillance Systems
Video surveillance system
The latest advances in home security are mobile video surveillance systems, which employ video cameras linked to computer software to monitor your home or business while you’re away.
When the system detects a preprogrammed event (like a package being delivered to your home or movement caused by a person inside your home), it sends an alert to your smart phone or an e-mail to your computer.
The video feed can then be viewed live on your cell phone or computer to see if the situation requires further attention.
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Make Your Home Secure from Burglary and Break-In”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
- How to Increase Home Security with Motion Sensor Outdoor Lighting
- Tips on Choosing and Installing a Deadbolt Lock
- Schlage Door Lock with Built-in Alarm
- DIY Security and Wildlife Video Cameras for Your Home
- Indoor Remote Video Monitoring Camera for Your Home
- How to Choose a Deadbolt Lock for Your Door
- Today's Homeowner Partners: