- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Paint Exterior Fiberglass StepsBy: Danny Lipford
I have a rather tacky looking set of fiberglass steps on the outside of my manufactured home. Can I paint them? If so, how should I go about it? -Barbara
Fiberglass can be painted successfully. You have to look at it as though you were painting plastic. The concern with this particular project is that you’re painting steps that will be used on a daily basis, so the treads will become worn and need recoating over time.
Here’s how to go about painting your fiberglass steps:
- Paint: Topcoat with two coats of quality, exterior, 100% acrylic, latex paint. To keep your steps from becoming slippery when wet, add non-slip sand texture additive to the topcoat. But don’t just dump any old sand in there, ask in the paint department for texture additive for paint.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Paint Anything Outside (article/video)
- How to Paint or Stain Almost Anything (article)
- How to Paint Plastic or Vinyl Exterior Shutters (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
- Today's Homeowner Partners: