How to Paint Vinyl Siding

Spray vinyl with diluted bleach to remove mildew before painting.

Spray vinyl with diluted bleach to remove mildew before painting.

I need to paint a few pieces of exterior vinyl siding. How do I prepare the siding so paint will adhere to it? -Verna

Verna,
Begin by cleaning the vinyl siding with detergent and water. If any mildew is present, spray it with a mixture of one part bleach to four parts water (a pump up garden sprayer works great for this). Let the bleach stay on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse it thoroughly and allow the siding to dry.

Paint vinyl siding with a high quality, exterior, acrylic latex paint. Do not paint it a darker color than the factory color, since it may cause it to absorb too much heat and warp.

Good luck with your project,

Danny

Comments

10 Comments on “How to Paint Vinyl Siding”

January 4th, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Hi Sue,
    Since those two colors are close to each other, you should be able to paint over the grey with olive with no problem.

• sue glaze Says:
    January 4th, 2015 at 10:21 am

HELLO DAN, MY QUESTION IS CAN i go from med gray to olive color?

• Renee Johnson Says:
    September 9th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

hi i have vinyl siding on my home and want to know if i could go from a light blue to olive green

• Sandra Chapman Says:
    July 31st, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I have vinyl siding on my home in a light gray color. We have a covered porch that faces west with three sides open and vinyl siding on the south side. I have been thinking of painting a mural on that wall, which would require darker colors that the siding. I’m concerned about the issue of buckling siding if I do paint the mural with the paint designed for vinyl siding. I do have Kool-A-Roo blinds that have spf factor & that keeps sunshine off the porch & cools at the same time during the Alabama Gulf Coast summers. Is this a feasible project or will the buckling issue make it a bad idea. Thank you for any advice and comments.

January 18th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hi Joe,
    While it’s generally recommended that you not paint vinyl siding darker than the original factory color, we haven’t field tested it to see if it would cause problems. The vinyl siding on my house here on the Alabama Gulf Coast was originally white but the previous owners spray painted it an almond color several years ago. The only problem I’ve noticed so far is that when the siding shrinks during cold weather, you can see a bit of white at the joints where it overlaps the still white piece underneath.

• Joe Says:
    January 17th, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Hello,

I have read on several sites including yours that I should not paint vinyl siding a darker color than the factory color, since it may cause it to absorb too much heat and warp. What do I do if my vinyl siding is white and I want to paint it a light shade of green or another color other than white? I do not want to repaint it another shade of white. What do you suggest? The location of the house is in the Catskill Mountains of NY. Thank you for your time and comments.

• MARILYN DALE Says:
    May 21st, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I NEED SOME IDEAS ON PAINTING A MURAL ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY TRAILER. JUST ONE PART.

• david Says:
    April 22nd, 2009 at 1:06 pm

what kind of paint should i used for vinyl siding and what do i need to do before i paint it .

thanks for the help
    david

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:48 am

Hi Mike,
    I used to install vinyl siding, and it’s not that hard if you have basic carpentry skills. We don’t have detailed installation instruction on the website, but instructions often come with the siding.

• Mike Says:
    December 23rd, 2008 at 8:02 am

Hurricane Ike partially destroyed my 10 X 12 wood framed storage building. I have successfully replaced the OSB panels on the lower portion of the building that were damaged by the high water. I now am ready to replace the vinyl siding that was blown away. I have never installed vinyl siding but believe that I can do it myself if I can get proper installation instructions. Can you help?