Ask Danny

How to Redo Giani Faux Granite Countertop Finish

I’m using Giani Granite Countertop Paint to finish my plastic laminate countertops. One countertop looks great, but the painter used a different sponge on the second countertop, and it looks awful. Can I sand it down and prime it again to start over? -Janie

Hi Janie,

Applying a faux granite finish, like Gianni Granite Countertop Paint, is a great way to breathe new life into old plastic laminate countertops. As long as the final poly clear coat hasn’t been applied, it’s no problem to refinish over the existing finish. Here’s how to go about it:

1. Lightly sand the countertop.
  2. Wipe the countertop down with a damp rag to remove any dust.
  3. Apply a new coat of the Giani black primer to the counter.
  4. Apply the Giani faux granite finish.
  5. When you’re satisfied with the look, apply the clear poly topcoat.

If you want to refinish a countertop after the clear poly topcoat has been applied, you’ll need to use a paint stripper to remove the existing Giani finish, then start over from scratch.

Good luck with your project,

Danny

8 Comments on “How to Redo Giani Faux Granite Countertop Finish”

1. ana Says:
    July 8th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

please i need information about book or videos and materials thank

2. Nancy Williams Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I want to refinish both my countertops and my cabinets. Which do you recommend I do first? I plan to use the Rustoleum transformations for the cabinets and Giani for the countertops. Thanks.

3. karen Says:
    April 6th, 2012 at 9:43 am

I applied a giani granite countertop and it turned out great the first time. The second time when it came time to apply the clear coat I could not get 1 side of the countertop to look shiney. I know it has to do with my application and I want to redo the topcoat. Can you give me any suggestions on how to apply a top coat with out leaving dull patches

4. BARBARA SIKES Says:
    February 23rd, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I refinished my counter top about 6 months ago and now I notice it will peal where the kids leave water puddles..what can I do to prevent this? The counters still look fine but seem to need further protection from water that is left sitting(like splashes from dish rinse water…help please..

5. Wendy Kowalski Says:
    April 21st, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I refinished my counter tops one year ago. I love the look, however, there are a few areas where the paint has peeled off. Can you give me the steps you suggest for touching up these areas? I am wondering if I should have done several coats of the topcoat (I did only 2). Thanks so much.

6. joanne radison Says:
    October 28th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

A have a few spots on my Gianni granite counter that has peeled…how can I touch these up….I have some acrylic paints the same color, but what would I use for a topcoat….thanks for your help…I love how they turned out.

7. Shanda Yaeger Says:
    October 29th, 2014 at 9:49 am

I have the same question as others above. I painted my countertops, now 2 years ago. I absolutely love it. However, I how have places that have peeled up and need touched up. I just need some guidance on how to go about doing this. I do believe I still have some primer left. Can I then use any acrlyic paints that would match the color? And then what type of topcoat do I use? The last time I did it, my countertops were not very shiny. I want to make sure and attempt to correct this, this time around. Thank you!!

8. Bob Fortune Says:
    December 15th, 2014 at 10:03 am

Giani Faux Granite is a good choice, but my first experience was spoiled by some small mistakes. While you remove the existing coat, try to keep it completely dry. I let my faucet drop some drops of water and they were caught inside it as Giani is known to trap moisture inside. I should have removed the sink completely, I guess. Anyway, if it gets even a little wet, dry it well with paper towels.

Click to check out all our great giveaways!