How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door

New entry door after installation on home.

New entry door after installation on home.

If the existing door on your home is a standard size with stock casing on the door frame, removing and replacing both the door and frame with a prehung wood, fiberglass, or steel door unit isn’t that difficult.

When to Replace an Entry Door

An existing exterior door on your house may need to be replaced if:

• The wood has begun to deteriorate or rot.
  • Joints on the door are coming loose.
  • The exterior of the door will not hold a finish.
  • Weather stripping and threshold don’t provide a good seal.
  • The door has uninsulated, single pane glass.
  • A different style or design of door is desired.

If the existing entry door on your house doesn’t have any of the problems listed above, you may want to try to refinish and refurbish it instead, which can be a lot less work than replacing the entire door unit.

While you can replace just the door, rather than the entire door unit, it’s easier and provides a better seal to replace the entire unit. However, if the house is older, and the frame on the existing door isn’t made from stock materials, it may be better to replace just the door, rather than the entire frame.

Read on to find out more.

Next Page »

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door”

• RobertoDixon Says:
    April 19th, 2016 at 12:54 am

Great post!!!

• Zequek Estrada Says:
    March 31st, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I think I may need look more into refinishing and refurnishing. Though my door does have some issues, like wood deterioration, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I think I’m just in the mood for change.

• jeffrey g blais Says:
    November 29th, 2015 at 8:57 am

Need to replace door sweep. door pins are spring loaded. found vidos to remove pin. Whats next, its a knuckle buster after the pins come out. found no futher info. Jeff.

• Steve Says:
    September 7th, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I want to install a 36 inch prehung to a 35 inch opening. Can I remove the double stud framing or do you have a better idea?

• Anne Says:
    April 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Ramona,
    I’ve done a lot of research and I would recommend a fiberglass door that is made to look like wood. This way it would continue with the look of your home but provide better insulation for hot or cool weather.

• Ramona Flanagan Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

We have a older home 1937 with a wooden entry round top door. Need to replace it, would like to do so with a square one, what are our options?