How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door

Natural wood entry doors on home.

Natural wood entry doors on home.

Types of Materials Available for Entry Doors

It’s important to make sure the door you choose is an exterior door, since they are thicker (1 3/4″ compared to 1 3/8″) and stronger than interior doors and use materials meant to hold up outdoors.

Exterior doors are available in the following materials:

• Wood: Attractive appearance, can be stained or painted. Built up finishes, such as paint and polyurethane varnish, may peel over time in areas exposed to the sun and elements. Wood may rot over time if not treated or made from a durable, rot resistant wood, like redwood or mahogany.
  • Fiberglass: Durable and holds up well to the elements. Can be painted or stained. Painted fiberglass doors hold up better than wood in exposed areas.
  • Steel: Fairly durable, though may rust over time. Can be painted but not stained.

Purchase an exterior door unit that fits the dimensions of your existing door and frame in the style desired.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door”

• RobertoDixon Says:
    April 19th, 2016 at 12:54 am

Great post!!!

• Zequek Estrada Says:
    March 31st, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I think I may need look more into refinishing and refurnishing. Though my door does have some issues, like wood deterioration, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I think I’m just in the mood for change.

• jeffrey g blais Says:
    November 29th, 2015 at 8:57 am

Need to replace door sweep. door pins are spring loaded. found vidos to remove pin. Whats next, its a knuckle buster after the pins come out. found no futher info. Jeff.

• Steve Says:
    September 7th, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I want to install a 36 inch prehung to a 35 inch opening. Can I remove the double stud framing or do you have a better idea?

• Anne Says:
    April 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Ramona,
    I’ve done a lot of research and I would recommend a fiberglass door that is made to look like wood. This way it would continue with the look of your home but provide better insulation for hot or cool weather.

• Ramona Flanagan Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

We have a older home 1937 with a wooden entry round top door. Need to replace it, would like to do so with a square one, what are our options?