How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door

Using a hammer and pry bar to remove casing on door.

Using a hammer and pry bar to remove door casing.

Removing an Existing Entry Door Unit

To remove an existing exterior door and frame from a wall:

1. Use a hammer and chisel or nail set to tap out the hinge pins on the existing door.
  2. Remove the old door from the hinges.
  3. Unscrew and remove the lockset and deadbolt on the door, if you plan to reuse them on the new door.
  4. Use a utility knife to cut through the paint film between the interior door casing and drywall and exterior door casing and siding or brick.
  5. Place a flat pry bar or chisel between the interior door casing and door jamb, and use a hammer to loosen the casing from the door frame.
  6. Pry off the interior door casing, being careful not to damage the drywall.
  7. Insert a flat pry bar or chisel between the exterior door casing and door jamb, and use a hammer to loosen the casing from the door frame.
  8. Pry off the exterior door casing, being careful not to damage the siding or brick.
  9. Unscrew and remove the hinges, door latch, and deadbolt strike plate from the old door frame.
  10. Use a pry bar to remove the door jambs and threshold.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door”

• RobertoDixon Says:
    April 19th, 2016 at 12:54 am

Great post!!!

• Zequek Estrada Says:
    March 31st, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I think I may need look more into refinishing and refurnishing. Though my door does have some issues, like wood deterioration, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I think I’m just in the mood for change.

• jeffrey g blais Says:
    November 29th, 2015 at 8:57 am

Need to replace door sweep. door pins are spring loaded. found vidos to remove pin. Whats next, its a knuckle buster after the pins come out. found no futher info. Jeff.

• Steve Says:
    September 7th, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I want to install a 36 inch prehung to a 35 inch opening. Can I remove the double stud framing or do you have a better idea?

• Anne Says:
    April 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Ramona,
    I’ve done a lot of research and I would recommend a fiberglass door that is made to look like wood. This way it would continue with the look of your home but provide better insulation for hot or cool weather.

• Ramona Flanagan Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

We have a older home 1937 with a wooden entry round top door. Need to replace it, would like to do so with a square one, what are our options?