How to Remove Ivy from Walls

Ivy and walls seem to go hand in hand in landscape design, but it takes a good bit of maintenance to keep it pruned and tidy. And if you’ve ever pulled ivy off a wall, you know that the tiny roots adhere to the brick or siding like glue, leaving behind a maze of fuzzy tendrils that can leave your wall looking like a mess!

At my house, one wall of the porch is covered with ancient ivy tendrils from well before my time. I figure they’re a good worst-case scenario, since they’re dried out and stuck like glue, and the brick is textured, so they’re embedded deep inside the nooks and crannies.

Brick wall before. Those hairy tendrils stick like glue!

There’s no magic chemical or spray that will remove ivy from walls. It just takes lots of elbow grease or what we call around my house “a good old-fashioned Scrub-A-Rama.” In a nutshell, you have to scrub the ivy roots off with a brush, but the trick is to find an approach that’s strong enough to remove the ivy but not so strong that it damages your brick or paint.

Of course, smooth brick or siding is going to be much easier to clean than textured brick or stone. Depending on your situation, you may not be able to erase every strand, but you can certainly improve the overall appearance.

Ivy Removal Tips

To tackle this job at your house, follow these tips:

• Removing Ivy: When removing ivy, pull it VERY gently off the wall, not worrying about the stems that break and stay stuck. If the roots have grown into cracks, you don’t want to damage your mortar or siding by yanking too hard.
  • Don’t Procrastinate: As I found with my porch, over time the roots will harden and be nearly impossible to remove. The sooner you can clean your brick, the better.
  • Scraping: Start by using a wooden or plastic scraper to work loose any whole roots and stems that are still attached, being careful not to damage the mortar.
  • Scrubbing: Once you’re down to just the hairy tendrils, it’s time for the scrub brush. Start with a nylon household scrubber and work loose as much dried material as you can – it will crumble better if the brush is dry. If there are still tendrils remaining, try loosening them with water and mild detergent. If the scrub brush isn’t doing the job, try progressing to a stiffer brush, or a scrubbing sponge. The stiffer the brush, the more likely you are to damage your wall, so take it easy! Test out your brush in an inconspicuous spot, to be sure it doesn’t scratch the surface.
  • Torching: If all else fails and you have a brick or masonry wall, you can try using a propane torch to burn away the remaining roots. This has a chance of scorching your brick, so test it first. Be sure to wear goggles and keep the flame away from wood or flammable materials.

Brick wall after. Don’t damage your brick, as I did here in my test!

I have to admit, cleaning this textured wall proved to be more trouble than it’s worth. A soft brush only removed about half of the tendrils, and a stiff brush removed the surface of the brick. Yes, it reached a point where brick was coming off, and ivy wasn’t!

Even flame couldn’t erase the tucked-in strands. In order to preserve my brick, I had to accept that unless I want to pick at those roots with a needle and magnifying glass (and even I’m not that crazy), some of those tendrils are just going to have to stay there.

29 Comments on “How to Remove Ivy from Walls”

1. DaleH Says:
    February 24th, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Regarding removing ivy from a concrete block wall: have you tried a power washer? I’m thinking about trying one but I would like a second “professional” opinion. Thanks.

2. Lori Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I used a power washer but prescraped as much off with a rake and brush as I possibly could and the power washer did not do too much. It is a bear no matter how you do it

3. john Says:
    May 6th, 2013 at 5:07 pm

By Chance i tested an h1610 powerwasher on my brick wall and could not believe how well it cleared each brick face and the roots inbetween, it also cleaned off all the green moss and with a little more foucus paint stains on some of the bricks, I was ready to cover the wall with a wood facing until i saw how great the brick now looks.

4. jack Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Be very careful removing ivy. I had a very serious poison ivy or sumac reaction which sent me to the e.r. The poisonous variety likes to hide between the English Ivy.

5. DaleH Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:36 am

A follow up: My wall is painted cinder block instead of brick. I ended up by first pulling all of the ivy from the wall and then using a very powerful power washer to remove the remaining tendrils. The wall is over fifty years old and the mortar used to grout the joints was not mixed properly so I’m in the process of tuckpointing the bad grout lines that were dug out by the power washer. My next step is to prime all the paintable surfaces with exterior primer before I paint. I’m trying to get all this done before the snow flies. Wish me luck.

6. Pam Says:
    October 6th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I kinda’ have the opposite problem from Ivy sticking to the wall. A couple of times I have moved the tips of some vines to point them in another direction. Afterward all the little roots turn brown and fall from the wall. I probably pulled the little roots at the end I moved, but what makes all the rest come loose and fall? Thanks.

7. Carol Says:
    January 9th, 2014 at 11:14 am

When I moved into my property my wall was pristine with no evidence of any ivy having been grown against the wall. A couple of years later, (last winter), I one day noticed fuzzy growths on my wall. That following spring friable, woody twig-like tendrils appeared out of the fuzzy growth. They looked just like the picture on this site, and seemed stuck on with super glue! I had it all removed later on that spring and thought it was all gone – until a couple of weeks ago (it’s now winter again), since when I’ve noticed patches of fuzzy growth re-surfacing out of the wall (no tendrils yet though)! A neighbour has just told me that the previous owner did have what looked like a Boston ivy plant growing up the wall, but she took it down. There isn’t an ivy plant or anything growing out of the ground, just these random patches. What I’d like to know is, is it at all possible for these fuzzy ivy growths/tendrils to re-propogate themselves out of walls without the support of any ground roots or visible ivy plant? Is there any chance that they could spread to surrounding bricks on the same wall, or will they stay confined to the area they’re spouting out of. Hopefully, the latter! Also, is there a chance that leaves could grown out of these isolated fuzzy growths. Any suggesions/answers would be much appreciated.

8. Eileen Says:
    April 28th, 2014 at 7:58 am

I also am trying to remove the dried tendrils of English ivy on my home. I have tried using a small torch on some of the bricks as a test. Not sure yet of the outcome as I only did it yesterday then I scrubbed the blackened area with water with some Simply Green. If anyone has found something that takes them off (product etc.) please let me know as just scrubbing did not work!

9. Peggy Says:
    May 18th, 2014 at 5:34 pm

My ivy has grown and covered the wall that I wanted covered. Now I want to protect the adjoining walls. Is there anything that I can spray onto the clean (stucco) wall that will discourage new ivy from attaching to them. I have a painted mural on the stucco wall next to the ivy wall and I live in fear that the ivy will grow and destroy the mural. So far, we have been able to manage it by cutting it back, but we are gone from home for long periods and it grows fast. Any suggestions?

10. Eileen Says:
    May 19th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I would maybe rethink encouraging ivy to grow as once it starts you have to continuously trim and trim and you can not get it off and it will damage the wall. I am so sorry that I did this and now I have brick walls covered with dried out tendrils that I can not get off.

11. Larry Watkins Says:
    June 9th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I had ivy growing up the stucco porch. it was removed to paint, then later, I could see the ivy coming back. I procrastinated too long and by the time I began to pull it off, it had grown five feet high. I clipped it at the bottom to kill it and then waited too long to pull it off. it left a lot of rooty tendrils that look like fossils and also pulled off some paint and stucco. I was already resigned to painting again and began to scrap the root material, but it is impossible to get off without damaging the stucco. I spread vinegar over it. Hopefully, the mild acid will eat the plant material away, but too soon to tell.

12. Eileen Says:
    June 11th, 2014 at 7:34 am

Thank you so much I am going to try a small section right away with vinegar. I also just tried a small kitchen torch (with the hose right next to me) it scorched it off (brick house) and then I scrubbed with a bristle brush ( to get the dark ash off-worked somewhat) and Simply Green. Not perfect but better. The vinegar is brilliant. Thanks You! I have it on a brick house so I will try a small section as a trial. I have been told that vinegar has many uses!

13. Lizzie Says:
    July 13th, 2014 at 2:16 am

I’ve managed to get rid of the ivy from the front of our brick house. That was tough in itself but now I too have the woolly brick look. I am thinking of growing a non evasive evergreen plant on a trellis to mask it as i can’t seem to get rid of the fuzz. Do you know if this may reignite the ivy? We cut it at the root with a saw, left the top to die off and have now removed all the tendrils and taken the stump out of the ground. What plant may be resilient enough to be planted where the ivy roots were? How long should I wait?

14. phil Says:
    July 17th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

i used a corded drill and a 4″ sanding disc thing that looks like a rice crispy treat foam. I have also tried a power washer with no luck but i was told i would need to have an oscillating tip on the wand which i did not have.

15. phil Says:
    July 21st, 2014 at 12:05 pm

tried the oscillating tip with a 3100 psi pressure washer. It takes ivy and paint off. This will do the trick. I read it takes 3000 psi to be able to clean off masonry but the big help is the turbo nozzle or oscillating tip you put on the end of the wand.

16. Bill Says:
    September 29th, 2014 at 4:24 pm

SUCCESS!!!!! The oscillating tip absolutely removed 90% from my wood siding. Took some paint in places but the object was to prep the wall for painting. It was like magic.

17. Brenda Bullard Says:
    January 17th, 2015 at 11:09 am

I have an unwanted wild vine that has completely covered half of my shingled roof (not wood) and is trying to come in our windows in Houston Texas. This roof is 15 years old and I don’t know if pulling the vine off is better or worse for the roof as I can’t afford a new roof right now. Do you have any answers for my dilemma? Thank you. Brenda

18. ian clark Says:
    March 18th, 2015 at 6:33 am

Try a blow lamp and a wire brush but only use this on brick. What you do is you wave the blow lamp over the area, and then use a wire brush to brush the pores off. I have just done a house wall like this and it only took me an hour.

19. Kreis Says:
    April 11th, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I used a scrapper to remove the big stuff . Took a touch to the roots and after washing the brick off with a stiff brush I took a black and decker mouse sander with a medium grit sand pad and it removed most of what was left . The brick is a rough tutor so the color and texture looked the same . I was pleased with the result

20. Lisa Says:
    May 5th, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I have a huge ivy vine on my century home sided with wooden shakes. How can I get it off?

21. Scott Says:
    May 10th, 2015 at 4:51 am

Use a plumber’s torch!

I tried all the other methods. Wish I had gone to the torch first…So EASY. just test in an inconspicuous spot first. Go lightly no need to focus the flame in one spot too long. If you have a ton of tentacles I suggest you work from the top down, as some of the larger pieces will ignite the ones above… Left a tiny residue of the charred pieces, comes off easy with the pressure washer. Good luck!

22. Amy Says:
    May 15th, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Any tips for removing it from limestone. All I have left is the dried tendrils and they are like cement.

23. Mary Says:
    June 15th, 2015 at 4:50 am

I have a textured painted rendered brick wall with ivy that is a real pain. It grows so quick and we have quite s few sticky brown stalks that are stuck fast. I was wondering if anyone has used a power steamer? I was hoping it would soften and loosen the blighters? ?

24. Mrs Williams Says:
    July 14th, 2015 at 10:24 am

Put half a cup of salt in a spray bottle, fill up with white vinegar, add a dash of washing up liquid soap. This is an excellent weed killer.

We are having our old conservatory pulled down. Ivy from next doors nasty neighbours has grown over the walls and roof and has pushed through the roof and is growing inside. So I’m too old to attack it with shears, I’ll try this. Or the Ivy will be all over my new brick conservatory when it’s built soon.

25. Anne Says:
    July 15th, 2015 at 6:35 am

I have pulled ivy from wall and window, however, it has left tendril marks on the window frame (metal covered) any ideas for removal?

26. Ian Says:
    August 1st, 2015 at 6:41 am

I have textured brick finish so scraping is out. I’m trying undiluted bleach (carefully applied) which I know has a devastating effect on wood so should be effective. Will let you know how this goes.

27. Patricia Says:
    August 22nd, 2015 at 11:30 am

Oh, my ! I didn’t realise I had such a difficult job ahead of me ! The ivy tendrils are on wooden painted trellis and plaster render. I’ve prepared the planting hole for the rose already. Silly me, I thought it would be a quick and easy job ! Good luck, everyone, with your efforts.

28. Simon Says:
    September 13th, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I have recently successfully removed the dried tendrils from brickwork. I used a steam cleaner and a wire brush.
    Steam first and this softens the tendrils then brush lightly with the wire brush.

29. Victor Says:
    September 22nd, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I’ve been trying to get the little suction cup roots off of 3 concrete cynderblock barriers for dumpsters for this apartment complex for 2 weeks now. My boss has handed me a wire brush and a small scrapper to get them off and he wants them perfectly smooth. Those two things didn’t satisfy him so I’ve used a multitude of tools, even a 4000 psi pressure washer with a 0 tip while having the tip at a maximum of 4 inches away and that didn’t work. I’ve been telling him that one of those little propane torches would be perfect but I have yet to be handed one.

Click to check out all our great giveaways!