How to Remove Rust Stains from Concrete Naturally

How can I remove rust stains from my concrete front porch? -Ted

Hi Ted,

There are a lot of claims out there of miracle rust removers, but my experience has been that it is next to impossible to remove rust stains from concrete. In fact, rust (iron oxide) is often the key ingredient used by professionals to stain a concrete floor, and concrete stains aren’t meant to be removed, so I wouldn’t waste my money on high-priced chemicals.

Instead, try making a thick paste from Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent, which contains baking soda, and scrubbing it into the stain with a scrub brush.

You may need to leave it on the rust stain for an hour or more, but be sure to continually mist the paste with water. Otherwise, the detergent paste will harden and become ineffective. A final scrub with a wire brush, then rinse with a hose, and . . . you’ll probably still have the rust stain, but it may be a shade or two lighter!

Another natural option you might try is to cut a lemon in half, and rub in on the rust stain. Allow the lemon juice to remain on the concrete for a time before hosing it off.

The very best option would probably be to stain the entire porch so it matches the color of the rust stain!

Good luck with your project,

Danny

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Remove Rust Stains from Concrete Naturally”

• Justin Says:
    January 22nd, 2016 at 6:27 pm

The only NON scrub chemical for rust remover is F9 BARC. But its maybe half as good as they say. Does not work step by step like they did and dont add the extra half gal of water to it.

• Michael Casey Says:
    December 6th, 2015 at 3:34 am

This is for Rich and Rennie who were looking for a chemical rust remover. Home Depot sells Iron Out for under $16.

• Michael Casey Says:
    December 6th, 2015 at 3:21 am

I have had great success in removing small rust stains from concrete using a rotary wire brush mounted on a drill. Eye protection is a must because the bristles do come loose. Don’t forget to remove the bristle debris so it doesn’t make new rust stains. This method, somewhat laborious worked in getting rid of all those ugly stains on my cellar floor. There is also a chemical in stores called Rust Out, it does work with some success but you have to be patient for it to work.

• Rennie Says:
    November 3rd, 2015 at 11:51 am

I’m looking for a rust stain remover for my large driveway. I have a well for my sprinkler system.

• Rich Says:
    July 18th, 2015 at 6:47 pm

There is a chemical mix that when sprayed on a concrete driveway will completely remove the rust stain from a well sprinkler system with out scrubing. I am again looking for it. Do you know of the product?

• D, Bartlett Says:
    May 26th, 2014 at 10:14 am

How do you remove battery acid stains from concrete porch before staining?