- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Remove Water Stains from FurnitureBy: Danny Lipford
I left a wet glass on the top of my walnut coffee table. How do I remove the water stain? -Bob
Water stains on furniture fall into two categories:
- White stains: Where water has become trapped in the finish or in the thin layer of wax on the surface.
- Dark stains: Where the water has penetrated through the finish into the wood itself.
White stains in the finish will often disappear on their own after drying for a few days. If not, try placing a dry cotton cloth over the stain and going over it with a hot iron (without steam). Don’t heat the wood too much or it might damage the finish—just enough to cause the moisture to evaporate.
If the stain is still there, wipe the top down with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to remove any wax that might have trapped the moisture. If the white mark is still there, try wiping the spot lightly with a cloth dampened with denatured alcohol. Don’t overdo it, as alcohol can soften some finishes. It’s a good idea to test solvents on an inconspicuous spot on the furniture first, to be sure they won’t damage the finish.
Dark stains, where the water has penetrated all the way through the finish, are difficult to remove without resorting to stripping, sanding, and refinishing the piece.
Tags: , furniture, remove stain, water mark, water stain
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “How to Remove Water Stains from Furniture”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
- How to Remove Water Stains from Furniture with Mayonnaise
- How to Repair Scratches on Wood Cabinets and Furniture
- How to Remove White Water Marks on Furniture
- How to Remove Rust Stains from Concrete Naturally
- How to Make Tile Drink Coasters and Trivets for Your Home
- Tips on Removing Stains from Wood Floors
- Today's Homeowner Partners: