- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Remove Wax Buildup from Vinyl or Linoleum FloorsBy: Danny Lipford
What is the best way to remove wax buildup from a vinyl or linoleum floor? -Priscilla
Diluted household ammonia works great for removing wax buildup, as well as dirt and grime, on vinyl or linoleum floors. Mix from 1/2 to 2 cups of ammonia to one gallon of warm water. Have plenty of ventilation, and test it first on a small, out of the way spot to be sure the ammonia won’t damage the floor.
Apply the ammonia to the floor with a sponge mop and allow it to work for a couple of minutes. Scrub the floor to remove the softened layers of wax, then rinse with clean water.
Also, NEVER under any circumstances mix ammonia with bleach or any cleaning product that contains bleach, as the combination of bleach and ammonia can produce poisonous chlorine gas.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Clean a Ceramic Tile Floor (article)
- How to Spot Clean Carpet in Your Home (video)
- How to Clean Your Home Using Common Household Products (video)
- How to Clean Stainless Steel Appliances (article)
Please Leave a Comment
3 Comments on “How to Remove Wax Buildup from Vinyl or Linoleum Floors”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
- How to Remove Glued Down Linoleum or Vinyl from a Wood Floor
- How to Remove Tar Paper or Felt Residue from Wood Floors
- How to Install Vinyl Flooring Without Using Adhesive
- How to Remove Glue and Adhesive from Floors
- How to Tile Over Vinyl Flooring
- How to Repair Damaged Vinyl Flooring
- Installing Tile Over Vinyl Flooring
- How to Remove Vinyl Siding
- Today's Homeowner Partners: