- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Repair Holes in Vinyl SidingBy: Danny Lipford
How can you repair holes in vinyl siding caused by storm damage? -Tom
Vinyl siding is both tough and durable; but like most building materials, it can sustain damage from storms and extreme weather. There are several ways to repair damaged vinyl siding, depending on the extent of the damage.
- Repairing Small Holes: Squirt a generous dollop of exterior caulking that matches the color of the siding into the hole. Allow it to completely dry, then use a razor scraper to cut the excess caulk flush with the outside of the siding. If you can’t find caulking that matches, fill the hole with paintable caulk, then paint over it with exterior, acrylic latex paint after it has cured.
- Repairing Larger Holes: Use a siding zip tool (available at home centers) to unlock the damaged siding at the bottom. Place foil tape on the back side of the siding to cover the hole, and lock the siding back in place. Fill the hole with a thin coat of color matched caulking, or paint the caulking to match the siding color as described above.
- Repairing Large Holes or Cracks: Use a utility knife to cut the nailing strip off the top of a piece of matching siding that’s larger than the hole or crack, then attach it on top of the damaged piece with construction adhesive. Another option is to use the zip tool to remove the damaged piece of vinyl siding, and replace it with a new piece.
Since it may be hard to match existing siding, it’s a good idea to ask the installer for a few extra pieces and scraps to keep on hand for future repairs.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Remove Vinyl Siding (article)
- How to Clean Vinyl Siding (article)
- How to Paint Vinyl Siding (article)
Please Leave a Comment
3 Comments on “How to Repair Holes in Vinyl Siding”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2014 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)