- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Repair Pop Outs in a Concrete Patio Caused by FreezingBy: Danny Lipford
I have a concrete patio that has spots about the size of a quarter which crack and pop out whenever it gets covered in snow or ice. What’s causing this and can it be repaired? -Tommy
It’s not so much the concrete that’s causing a problem with your patio as what’s inside it. The company that mixed the concrete for the patio probably used an aggregate that was fairly porous – such as ironstone, coal, shale, or limestone – which absorbs and holds moisture.
When the concrete freezes, the water inside the aggregate expands and pops out through the surface as you have observed. This can happen in concrete driveways, sidewalks, and porch slabs as well.
The good news is that pop outs in concrete are a cosmetic defect that doesn’t affect the structural integrity of the slab. You can patch the small holes by cleaning out the loose material and filling each one with a concrete patching material.
If you have an over abundance of pop outs in your concrete slab, you need to consider resurfacing the patio. I would take a look at some of the products from Quikrete. They’ve been tackling these issues for a while and have some good solutions for both resurfacing and patching concrete.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Repair Cracks and Resurface a Concrete Driveway (video/article)
- How to Repair a Concrete Slab (video)
- How to Improve the Look of a Concrete Patio (video)
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “How to Repair Pop Outs in a Concrete Patio Caused by Freezing”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
You might also like
- How to Repair a Crack in a Concrete Slab Patio
- Repairing Damaged Concrete
- Applying Brick Pavers to a Concrete Slab Patio in a Cold Climate
- Types of Sealers for a Concrete Driveway
- Repairing Cracks in Concrete
- How to Improve the Look of a Concrete Patio
- How to Score Lines and Apply Finish to a Concrete Patio
- How to Repair Cracks and Resurface a Concrete Driveway
- Today's Homeowner Partners: