How to Tile Over a Plastic Laminate Backsplash
By: Danny Lipford
Can I tile over a Formica backsplash? -Larry
It’s possible to tile over a plastic laminate backsplash if the backsplash has square, rather than molded or rounded, edges. Here’s how to go about it:
- Clean and dry the backsplash to remove any dirt or grease.
- Sand the plastic laminate with coarse (50-80 grit) sandpaper, so the tile adhesive will adhere to it. An orbital sander works great for this, but be careful not to damage the countertop or wall.
- Wipe down the backsplash with a damp cloth to remove any dust.
- Cover the countertop with Kraft paper or plastic sheeting, held in place by painter’s tape, to prevent the tile adhesive from adhering to it.
- Apply thin-set adhesive to the backsplash with a notched trowel, then tile the backsplash.
- Allow the tile adhesive to cure overnight.
- Apply grout, sponge off any excess, and allow to dry.
Good luck with your project,