- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
How to Tile Over a Plastic Laminate BacksplashBy: Danny Lipford
Can I tile over a Formica backsplash? -Larry
It’s possible to tile over a plastic laminate backsplash if the backsplash has square, rather than molded or rounded, edges. Here’s how to go about it:
- Clean and dry the backsplash to remove any dirt or grease.
- Sand the plastic laminate with coarse (50-80 grit) sandpaper, so the tile adhesive will adhere to it. An orbital sander works great for this, but be careful not to damage the countertop or wall.
- Wipe down the backsplash with a damp cloth to remove any dust.
- Cover the countertop with Kraft paper or plastic sheeting, held in place by painter’s tape, to prevent the tile adhesive from adhering to it.
- Apply thin-set adhesive to the backsplash with a notched trowel, then tile the backsplash.
- Allow the tile adhesive to cure overnight.
- Apply grout, sponge off any excess, and allow to dry.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash (video)
- Ceramic Tile Backsplash Project (article)
- Installing a Ceramic Tile Backsplash Over Drywall (article)
- Can You Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash on Drywall? (video)
Please Leave a Comment
4 Comments on “How to Tile Over a Plastic Laminate Backsplash”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2014 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)