July Home Maintenance To-Do List

Hurricane supplies.

To-Do #6: Stock Up on Hurricane Supplies

If you live in on or near the Eastern Seaboard or along the Gulf Coast of the United States, July is a good time to stock up on food, bottled water, and other necessary household supplies in the event a hurricane or other severe weather strikes.

Household hurricane supplies to have on hand:

• First aid kit
  • Nonperishable food and bottled water
  • Battery powered weather radio and AM/FM battery powered radio
  • Toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and other toiletry items
  • Flashlights, battery powered lamps, and extra batteries
  • Manual can opener
  • Sunscreen and mosquito repellant
  • Full gas cans
  • Corded telephone
  • Plastic sheeting or tarps
  • Rope and duct tape
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Baby and pet supplies
  • Cash

Also, be sure to make copies of your important documents, including your homeowner’s insurance policy, and store them in a plastic bag for protection from water and to have on hand if you need to evacuate.

Watch our video on Preparing for the Worst to find out more, and download our printable Hurricane Supply List.

Printable To-Do List

For more home maintenance to-do lists, check out:

« Previous Page

Comments

10 Comments on “July Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Donald w Dunlap sr Says:
    July 23rd, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Ever since our home burned we can smell a musty odor( inside)coming in location where outside new chimney had to be put up. We have sealed all places where think coming from and still there , been 10 years!! Front door next to it , we also checked that.

• Joan McGraw Says:
    July 10th, 2016 at 10:49 am

My siding was replaced in 2008 and caulking was used to seal joints. Shortly after that time caulking was replaced using a metal plate under joint. My caulking has dried out in some spots and am wondering if a metal plate be inserted under joint?

• Jerry Buttrey Says:
    July 3rd, 2016 at 6:51 am

Have consistent problem with door going from sunroom out onto deck.
    Sunroom is raised over rear patio. In winter door binds on threshold. In summer door will not lock due to stricker position. Have relocated lock
    holes twice. Door is fiberglass five years old. I realize problem is due to
    expansion/contraction . How do I fix this. Would a wood door act the same way?
    Love your show.
    Thanks

• Papa Says:
    July 1st, 2016 at 4:31 pm

This is a good list. I would forget some of these items if not reminded. Thanks Danny!

• Christie Says:
    July 1st, 2016 at 3:20 pm

For the question from another viewer about the stinky bathroom sink – I use 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup table salt and 1/2 cup white vinegar. I pour it down my drains, wait 20 minutes and then flush with very hot water. Works for me and all natural – no chemicals. Thanks for a terrific show. (Unfortunately, as I type this, Dish Satellite is in dispute with Tribune (Channel 5 locally) and I won’t be able to see it. I hope the issue is resolved quickly.)

• Judith Markus Says:
    July 1st, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Love your show even though it’s an early Saturday morning wake up for us to view it, can never remember to dvr it!! Also love your monthly update with tips for the month. With any house, the rule is “there’s always something”, and that stands true for ours. We’ve gotten some great ideas and great hints from your show. Now, could you tell us, why does every year the yard seem to get LARGER for care of the lawn and beds and such? Haha, yeah we know the answer to that one. Love your show!

• Barbara Moon Says:
    August 22nd, 2015 at 8:03 am

How do I get rid of the stinky smell coming from my bathroom sink? My husband plunged it and this black gunk came out of it, but it still smells.

• Mrs. Johnnie Ireson Says:
    July 2nd, 2015 at 10:59 am

Love Today’s Homeowners TV show. Wish you were on 1 hour instead of 30 minutes.
    -Mrs. Johnnie Ireson-

• Nummy76 Says:
    July 2nd, 2015 at 6:47 am

Never knew that you can get mold in water filters. Will be changing mine now.
    thanks

• bonnie frazier Says:
    July 19th, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Loved the show about the pavers in the front and staining concrete in the back. I need a total makeover on my back yard so I can put on an Engagement Party for my daughter when she comes home from Boston in September. I am going to try the pavers for a patio area with a firepit..