Julie Day Blog

Lady Banks Rose Update

Seems pretty tame, except I just pruned her a couple of days ago.

In Growing a Lady Banks Rose, I told how I planted a Lady Banks on my porch column last summer. It’s been a full year old now, and I thought I’d provide an update, in case any of you are considering doing the same.

My Lady Banks rose is planted in mostly full sun, with a southern exposure tempered by some tall trees. It’s smack-dab under the gutter downspout, so I only water it in extreme drought. I haven’t really done anything to it—it’s had no pests or diseases, no fertilizer, and the spring blooms were heavenly, simply heavenly.

It’s perfect – EXCEPT, good grief, is this thing a fast grower! It’s growing faster than I can keep up with it! By midsummer, it was growing up the gable, reaching for the peak of the porch roof. Every morning, new tentacles reach out and grab me as I walk past – it’s like living with a hungry octopus on the porch.

I’m always going out there to remove entangled wind chimes or houseguests. I prune it at least once a week, and sometimes twice, and it just seems to speed up! I don’t regret planting it near the house, but it certainly could possibly be better put to use to quickly conceal an ugly barn, or as a substitute for the proverbial beanstalk.

All in all, I think this is one of the most perfect plants ever. The foliage is really pretty by itself, and the blooms will simply make your heart melt with joy. It’s tough, disease-resistant, evergreen, thornless, and carefree – except for the occasional wrestling match (I mean, pruning).

Plant a Lady Banks where she can go wild, then just sit back and watch her grow!

23 Comments on “Lady Banks Rose Update”

1. Donna Beets Says:
    June 26th, 2010 at 12:59 am

Have just read your article and was very interesting. We have just planted one in our church parking lot, and you gave me a lot of facts, which I don’t think we knew about. Wanted to get one for my home, but can’t seem to find where I can get one, and the lady who bought the church’s can not remember where she got it. Would appreciate if you could let me know where I could obtain a plant. Have checked the internet, only one site had it, but was out of it. Can I start a plant from a branch that we cut, but not sure how to start it to root. Hope to hear from you. Your site is on my favorites now, I understand your down to earth reports.

2. Erin Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Hi Donna – Just wanted to share with you that I found a yellow lady banks at Lowe’s. I checked everywhere else – nursery’s and Home Depot – Lowe’s was the only one to have it.

3. Claudette Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I too am a huge fan of the Lady Banks rose… I am only sad that it blooms once a year… oh but what a display! For those who are in the zones where it florishes think about planting clemitis underneath it… they like shady roots and you’ll definitely have that with this rose, the more vigorous clemitis the better, it takes a lot to keep up with the growth on this rose, but it’ll give you another punch of color when the Lady is finished with her show.

4. Patty Says:
    March 12th, 2011 at 3:13 pm

My Lady Banks rose bush has been planted for three yeras and still has not bloomed. It gets new leaves every spring and looks very healty…but no flowers. I put Bloom Booster on it last year…still nothing. Ant suggestions?

5. Jennifer May Says:
    March 16th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I bought two Lady Banks rose bushes two years ago. They have grown in size but haven’t bloomed yet.

6. Mathilda Says:
    August 21st, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I planted 6 Lady Banks rose bushes in early Spring and thus far have not seen a single abloom but lots of foliage. I live in the Washington DC area. Any advice please?

7. Ben Mastin Says:
    March 13th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Do the Lady Banks rose bushes maintain any foliage during the winter months or do they become bare? I am wanting to plant some here in North Carolina but want something that has foliage during the winter season.

8. NK Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh, my! I just planted two (2) Lady Banks Roses; one on either side of an arbor. I did not think they required alot of pruning. Am I creating a monster? I just wanted to cover my arbor (swing underneath) quickly for shade. I tried

9. pat royalty Says:
    March 27th, 2012 at 8:24 am

i have 2 L. B’s growing in shade,zone 8, west Ga., just a little noon sun, either side of my farm gates,now reaching up into the pines on either side, about 15+ feet. perfect spot, i prune to keep it out of the car’s path. for 2 weeks or so it’s glorious, and the only color i could have in that spot. the blooming branches up into the pines are wonderful.

10. pat royalty Says:
    March 27th, 2012 at 8:26 am

my roses keep leaves the year around…zone 8.

11. Anne M Says:
    April 9th, 2012 at 9:27 am

I have 2 wonderful Lady Banks roses on either side of my front door, but they are starting to overgrow the path making it a bush whacking event to get to the door no matter how often
    I prune them. Can I move them to a different spot in my yard? If so what is the best way to transplant them?

12. Robin Pritz Says:
    May 1st, 2012 at 4:32 pm

We just moved into a place in Tucson, AZ and there is a very large beautiful Lady Banks Rose bush in our yard. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who loves to go around smelling the different flowers in the yard, and he is especially attracted to this rose bush. Are these safe for small dogs? Sometimes, he seems to get sick afterwards, and I’m trying to pinpoint the culprit. I would love your perso0nal response to my question, as I’m very concerned.
    R. Pritz

13. Lynn Howard Says:
    May 19th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

My Lady Banks is 6 years old..hasn’t had blooms for 2 years now.. continues to grow but no buds.. great soil no changes feeding & care..??? no problem w/ other plants in same bed..Any ideas???

14. Kim Says:
    June 15th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

My lady Banks tree blooms beautifully in the spring. Afterwards the leaves always have reddish brown spots. Can you tell me what this is? Is it something that will harm the rose?

15. Thomas White Says:
    September 19th, 2012 at 8:06 am

My lady banks, which bloomed spectacturaly this spring, has turned brown and I need some advise. It is still putting out new shoots however.

16. Jodi Says:
    February 6th, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Just make sure you don’t prune your Lady Banks at the wrong time, or you will cut off the blooms. Prune this rose in Spring, after it has flowered- or if it hasn’t flowered then just prune it when you are convinced it will not be flowering at all (May, for instance). It will set buds for the following year in the Summer.

Many of you have stated what a fast grower it is, and how you have had to really prune it, and that it did not flower. I am guessing the cause is that the blooms were pruned off.

17. Sandra Blackwelder Says:
    May 4th, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I have a beautiful yellow Lady Banks Rose that has bloomed her little heart out. Recently some of the new growth has no flowers on it and the leaves seem to be curling up and turning pale green. What in the world have I done to this beautiful rose.
    Thanks

18. Jimbo Henson Says:
    May 15th, 2013 at 11:30 am

What about the roots on the lady banks? Is it ok to plant next to the house?
    Thanks,

19. Lorena West Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I have over 100 lady banks roses planted on a bank in front of our house. I let them grow wild for several years and they were a mass of yellow blooms. They were so big and wild, we could not see cars going by on the street so I cut them all back. I just finished pruning them (after they flowered) and now they are sending out soft shoots that seem like suckers. They seem to grow about 10″ a day. Should I leave them or cut them off? Thanks.

20. carolyn sumrall Says:
    October 12th, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I planted a yellow banks rose on a divider 2 years ago. Not growing much and had one little cluster of blooms this year.
    need advice on soil and feeding.

21. Alma Brown Says:
    March 10th, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Will the yellow banks grow in central Arkansas. I hope so, I will try to buy some at Lowes. Thanks so much for the info.

Alma Brown

22. Roberta Lavallee Says:
    March 27th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Lady banks is a beautiful plant. I would like to plant one in a LARGE pot on my back deck near an outside wall so that it will grow up along the side of my house and around my door frame. Does it require alot of SOIL to grow?

23. Sheri Snyder Says:
    October 5th, 2014 at 5:38 pm

My fiancé’s mother died in May. She was in a nursing home before that and the people living in the home did not take care of anything including the Lady Banks. As I will be moving into the home, and these were her favorite flowers, I would love to be able to bring them back to life. They are about 10′ in diameter, but about 4′ of that looks totally dead and has for quite some time. It October now, can I trim them back severely like I did miniature roses (very successfully)or ….I’m open to any suggestions.
    Thanks!