Landscaping Tips for a Bird-Friendly Yard

By: Julie Day

A bird-friendly yard includes food, water, and sheltering shrubs.

Attracting wild birds to your yard is easy – they have pretty specific needs and patterns, and they’re not picky about the solutions. That means that if we bird-lovers provide them with ways to meet their needs, they’ll come, it’s as simple as that.

While you don’t even NEED a yard to enjoy attracting birds to a feeder, a few simple ideas incorporated into your lawn and garden design will increase your bird populations and give you even more enjoyment.

Here are some landscaping tips that can turn your yard into a haven for wild birds.

Think variety – birds are attracted to an atmosphere of abundance.

Bird Attraction Basics

When adding elements to your garden for the birds, keep in mind that the three basic needs of birds aren’t all that different from our own.

1. Food

2. Water

3. Shelter

Providing for all three needs will attract bird populations that stick around, nest, raise their young, and come back next year.

Read on to find out more about bird-friendly landscaping for your yard.

Next Page »

Comments

10 Comments on “Landscaping Tips for a Bird-Friendly Yard”

• April Cook Says:
    August 17th, 2016 at 1:56 pm

My grandmother loves watching birds in her yard, and I think it would be fun to landscape the area to make it more inviting. I like your tip to provide the necessities for the birds. Will we need to get some birdhouses for shelter, or are there certain kinds of trees or bushes that make good homes for them?

• Hazel Adams Says:
    June 13th, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I have always wanted a bird friendly yard. They make such beautiful music. I am excited to try some of these landscaping tips.

• Jhoell Says:
    June 4th, 2016 at 10:19 am

I also did that in my garden. I also love birds and I enjoy their sound while playing around my garden. It makes my garden complete because of birds.

• Nash Rich Says:
    April 7th, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I love when birds are always about during the summer. There is something comforting about their songs. I never considered making my landscape more attractive to them. Now that I think about it, there are a lot more birds around my parents house because it’s a small farm with lots of trees. I guess I should start planting!

• Aria Wellington Says:
    March 29th, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I have been a bird enthusiast for the past few years and having a yard that attracts them has definitely been my dream. My husband and I are looking into doing some more landscape design in the future and I would love to incorporate your advice. Hopefully we will be able to find something that works for us, thanks for sharing!

• Jeff Curtis Says:
    February 29th, 2016 at 10:13 am

This is a really cool post on how to make your yard more bird-friendly. I think that having birds around makes for a really peaceful atmosphere. I will have to see if I want to get a water feature in my yard or not. Thanks for the post!

• Vicky Durrant Says:
    January 22nd, 2016 at 4:43 pm

My husband and I are going to be doing some landscaping work in the spring, and we’re currently thinking of some design ideas. I really liked your post, because there are a lot of birds in the area that we live! I would love to create a yard where I could watch the different birds come and go. I thought that your list of things that help attract birds was very helpful! As we are designing our future yard, I’ll be sure to keep this list in mind! Thank you for the great advice!

• Synny Says:
    October 27th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

How to feed wild birds without attracting rats, which is what one of my neighbors insists will happen. (So our facility has been told not to the feed birds at all.) But once before, I saw someone had posted a notice that people do not need to be afraid to birds, and no need to feed the rats. I would like to let people know that they CAN feed birds without attracting rats. I need your help for this. Do you have a record of the information?
    Happysunskimmer at Yahoo.com

• Mary Deschamps Says:
    May 5th, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I love birds and would love to see them in my yard more often. I hadn’t thought of providing them with nearby shelter after bathing. I would hate for them to be in a vulnerable situation. Thanks for the great information!

Mary

• Toni Says:
    March 13th, 2015 at 11:44 am

What if I need to put weed killer on lawn?