Landscaping Tips for a Bird-Friendly Yard

By: Julie Day

Birds enjoy the seeds produced by Black-Eyed Susans.

1. Basic Bird Need: Food

Wild birds eat a wide variety of plant and animal matter, including seeds, nuts, berries, insects, worms, and grubs. While some birds really seem to enjoy bird feeders, others prefer to get all or part of their food from natural sources. Here are some tips for providing food for birds:

• Bird Feeders: Install a variety of bird feeders, including seed, nut, suet, and nectar feeders. Check out our articles on Wild Bird Feeding Basics and How to Make a Suet Bird Feeder for more information.
  • Flowers: Planting annual, perennial, and flowering shrubs and trees can provide food for birds. Look for a variety of colors, textures, and bloom times. Birds will be attracted to seeds, nectar, and the insects buzzing around your blossoms. Leave some flowers to set seeds and fruits.
  • Berries: Birds love berries, so adding plants and shrubs with berries can really help. Choose varieties with different fruiting seasons for year-round bird feeding.
  • Go Organic: Don’t use insecticides and herbicides on your lawn or garden. Not only can birds be harmed by ingesting the chemicals, but they’ll reduce their natural insect prey, causing birds to hunt elsewhere.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

10 Comments on “Landscaping Tips for a Bird-Friendly Yard”

• April Cook Says:
    August 17th, 2016 at 1:56 pm

My grandmother loves watching birds in her yard, and I think it would be fun to landscape the area to make it more inviting. I like your tip to provide the necessities for the birds. Will we need to get some birdhouses for shelter, or are there certain kinds of trees or bushes that make good homes for them?

• Hazel Adams Says:
    June 13th, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I have always wanted a bird friendly yard. They make such beautiful music. I am excited to try some of these landscaping tips.

• Jhoell Says:
    June 4th, 2016 at 10:19 am

I also did that in my garden. I also love birds and I enjoy their sound while playing around my garden. It makes my garden complete because of birds.

• Nash Rich Says:
    April 7th, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I love when birds are always about during the summer. There is something comforting about their songs. I never considered making my landscape more attractive to them. Now that I think about it, there are a lot more birds around my parents house because it’s a small farm with lots of trees. I guess I should start planting!

• Aria Wellington Says:
    March 29th, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I have been a bird enthusiast for the past few years and having a yard that attracts them has definitely been my dream. My husband and I are looking into doing some more landscape design in the future and I would love to incorporate your advice. Hopefully we will be able to find something that works for us, thanks for sharing!

• Jeff Curtis Says:
    February 29th, 2016 at 10:13 am

This is a really cool post on how to make your yard more bird-friendly. I think that having birds around makes for a really peaceful atmosphere. I will have to see if I want to get a water feature in my yard or not. Thanks for the post!

• Vicky Durrant Says:
    January 22nd, 2016 at 4:43 pm

My husband and I are going to be doing some landscaping work in the spring, and we’re currently thinking of some design ideas. I really liked your post, because there are a lot of birds in the area that we live! I would love to create a yard where I could watch the different birds come and go. I thought that your list of things that help attract birds was very helpful! As we are designing our future yard, I’ll be sure to keep this list in mind! Thank you for the great advice!

• Synny Says:
    October 27th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

How to feed wild birds without attracting rats, which is what one of my neighbors insists will happen. (So our facility has been told not to the feed birds at all.) But once before, I saw someone had posted a notice that people do not need to be afraid to birds, and no need to feed the rats. I would like to let people know that they CAN feed birds without attracting rats. I need your help for this. Do you have a record of the information?
    Happysunskimmer at Yahoo.com

• Mary Deschamps Says:
    May 5th, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I love birds and would love to see them in my yard more often. I hadn’t thought of providing them with nearby shelter after bathing. I would hate for them to be in a vulnerable situation. Thanks for the great information!

Mary

• Toni Says:
    March 13th, 2015 at 11:44 am

What if I need to put weed killer on lawn?