March Home Maintenance To-Do List

Danny Lipford sweeping valley on roof.

Danny Lipford sweeping the valley on a roof.

To-Do #1: Inspect and Repair Roof

Once all the snow and ice have melted, it’s important to inspect your roof thoroughly for damaged shingles and leaks, especially if your home developed ice dams over the winter.

If you can access your attic, check underneath your roof during or just after a heavy rain for signs of damp spots or drips. Pay particular attention to chimneys, where leaks around the flashing are common.

Next, inspect your roof from the outside, either using a ladder to climb up on the roof or with binoculars from the ground. If you’re on the roof, sweep away any leaves and debris to prevent water buildup and to get a better look at the condition of your roof.

Examine your shingles closely to see if any are missing or loose. You can do basic DIY roof repairs yourself, or hire a roofing contractor to do them for you.

Inspect your chimney for loose or damaged flashing and missing mortar. Seal small cracks where the flashing meets the chimney with masonry caulk, and repair and reattach loose flashing with masonry nails or screws covered with roofing cement.

Watch our video on How to Repair Leaking Chimney Flashing to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

8 Comments on “March Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Bertha Pobocik Says:
    March 18th, 2016 at 9:44 am

I am a 75 year old widow and faithfully watch your show. One question, my cement block basement has a crack in the mortar 3 blocks down. What needs to be done? Your advice has helped me complete most home repairs myself.

• Wendy Stone Says:
    March 3rd, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hi Danny, i live on the mildew coast of Australia. Please show us a video to change ply cupboard doors to vented cupboard doors using dowels. If my thinking is correct this may elimate mould smells in rainy season…hopefully..tried damp rid..not working..thank you

• G Mankin Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 10:40 am

I need to replace my asphalt roof this year; is there a “barrier” that you can install on the roof deck before installing the roofing shingles that would make it more energy efficient?

March 2nd, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hi Steve,
    Glad to hear Wet & Forget worked well for you! Thanks for the feedback.

• Steve S. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 8:10 am

PLEASE, take my word for it!
    “Wet and Forget” is fantastic. We discovered it last year during one of Danny’s shows. We’ve used it on our deck, our siding, our shower, etc. Unbelievable how simple to use. “Wet and Forget”

• Frederick Grant, Sr. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 12:11 am

I have dark areas appearing on the asphalt shingles on my roof. Someone said it was a virus of some sort. Can you tell me the best way or product to remove it and what I might do to prevent it from returning.

March 21st, 2014 at 7:08 am

Hi Bob,
    The product that removes mold, moss, and mildew is called Wet & Forget. You can find out more at http://www.wetandforget.com

• BOB SCRANTON Says:
    March 20th, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I caught the end of part of a radio show that talked about a product that can be sprayed on for mildew and it does not need washing off. The spokesman said you can find this product on our website which I have not be able to find. The radio show aired March 20, 2014 here in Florida on one of our local stations. Can you tell me the name of the product? thank you