March Home Maintenance To-Do List

Checking water meter for plumbing leaks.

Checking a water meter for plumbing leaks.

To-Do #3: Check for Plumbing Leaks

If your water bill has suddenly increased, or even if it hasn’t, take some time to check the water meter for unseen leaks in your plumbing. Even a small leak can add up to thousands of gallons of wasted water, which not only hurts your wallet but also wastes precious, clean water.

Checking water meter for leaks:

1. Turn off all water sources in and around the house, including toilets, sinks, icemakers, sprinklers, and water using appliances—such as washing machines and dishwashers.
  2. Remove the cover on your water meter.
  3. Most water meters have a flow indicator, which is a small triangle shaped gauge that rotates when even a very small amount of water flows through the pipe. Watch the flow indicator for a minute or so to see if it moves. If it does, you have a leak.
  4. If your meter doesn’t have a flow indicator, you can write down the numbers on the meter, and come back an hour later and see if they’ve changed.

Read our article on How To Check a Water Meter for Plumbing Leaks to find out more.

Finding a plumbing leak

If your water meter indicates you have a leak, the next job is finding it. The most common culprits of unseen water leaks are toilets, followed by outdoor spigots and irrigation systems. Another possibility after a cold winter is plumbing pipes on exterior walls that may have frozen and cracked.

Start by monitoring toilets to see if the water level in the tank goes down when the water is turned off. If it does, you probably need to replace the flapper valve .

Next, branch out to other plumbing fixtures until you find the source. If the leak is in an underground pipe, you’ll likely need professional assistance to find and repair it.

Read our article on How to Find a Plumbing Leak to learn more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

8 Comments on “March Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Bertha Pobocik Says:
    March 18th, 2016 at 9:44 am

I am a 75 year old widow and faithfully watch your show. One question, my cement block basement has a crack in the mortar 3 blocks down. What needs to be done? Your advice has helped me complete most home repairs myself.

• Wendy Stone Says:
    March 3rd, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hi Danny, i live on the mildew coast of Australia. Please show us a video to change ply cupboard doors to vented cupboard doors using dowels. If my thinking is correct this may elimate mould smells in rainy season…hopefully..tried damp rid..not working..thank you

• G Mankin Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 10:40 am

I need to replace my asphalt roof this year; is there a “barrier” that you can install on the roof deck before installing the roofing shingles that would make it more energy efficient?

March 2nd, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hi Steve,
    Glad to hear Wet & Forget worked well for you! Thanks for the feedback.

• Steve S. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 8:10 am

PLEASE, take my word for it!
    “Wet and Forget” is fantastic. We discovered it last year during one of Danny’s shows. We’ve used it on our deck, our siding, our shower, etc. Unbelievable how simple to use. “Wet and Forget”

• Frederick Grant, Sr. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 12:11 am

I have dark areas appearing on the asphalt shingles on my roof. Someone said it was a virus of some sort. Can you tell me the best way or product to remove it and what I might do to prevent it from returning.

March 21st, 2014 at 7:08 am

Hi Bob,
    The product that removes mold, moss, and mildew is called Wet & Forget. You can find out more at http://www.wetandforget.com

• BOB SCRANTON Says:
    March 20th, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I caught the end of part of a radio show that talked about a product that can be sprayed on for mildew and it does not need washing off. The spokesman said you can find this product on our website which I have not be able to find. The radio show aired March 20, 2014 here in Florida on one of our local stations. Can you tell me the name of the product? thank you