March Home Maintenance To-Do List

Probing for top of septic tank to inspect.

Probing for top of septic tank to inspect.

To-Do #4: Septic Tank or Grinder Pump Inspection

Most of us don’t pay any attention to our home’s sewer/septic system until it stops working! Rather than dealing with the aftermath of a sewer backup in your home, take some time each year to have your septic tank or grinder pump inspected to be sure it’s in proper working order.

Septic Tank:

Septic tanks are buried underground. As water and waste enter the tank, anaerobic bacteria break down the waste and the solids sink to the bottom. The liquid flows out into leach field lines, where aerobic bacteria complete the decomposition process.

Septic tanks need to have the solid waste pumped out every three to five years. In the meantime, regular inspections can make sure the tank’s levels are safe, the bacteria is doing its job, and the leach field pipes are draining properly.

Slow drainage and wet, spongy soil are signs of a problem with your system and require emergency repair.

Grinder Pump:

Grinder pumps are installed in homes which are built downhill from the sewer line or in neighborhoods with pressurized sewer lines. The pump is located inside a small, buried tank.

Water and waste enter the tank and are then ground up and pumped uphill to the sewer line. These pumps and tanks need to be inspected regularly to ensure that everything is in working order.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

8 Comments on “March Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Bertha Pobocik Says:
    March 18th, 2016 at 9:44 am

I am a 75 year old widow and faithfully watch your show. One question, my cement block basement has a crack in the mortar 3 blocks down. What needs to be done? Your advice has helped me complete most home repairs myself.

• Wendy Stone Says:
    March 3rd, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hi Danny, i live on the mildew coast of Australia. Please show us a video to change ply cupboard doors to vented cupboard doors using dowels. If my thinking is correct this may elimate mould smells in rainy season…hopefully..tried damp rid..not working..thank you

• G Mankin Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 10:40 am

I need to replace my asphalt roof this year; is there a “barrier” that you can install on the roof deck before installing the roofing shingles that would make it more energy efficient?

March 2nd, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hi Steve,
    Glad to hear Wet & Forget worked well for you! Thanks for the feedback.

• Steve S. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 8:10 am

PLEASE, take my word for it!
    “Wet and Forget” is fantastic. We discovered it last year during one of Danny’s shows. We’ve used it on our deck, our siding, our shower, etc. Unbelievable how simple to use. “Wet and Forget”

• Frederick Grant, Sr. Says:
    March 2nd, 2015 at 12:11 am

I have dark areas appearing on the asphalt shingles on my roof. Someone said it was a virus of some sort. Can you tell me the best way or product to remove it and what I might do to prevent it from returning.

March 21st, 2014 at 7:08 am

Hi Bob,
    The product that removes mold, moss, and mildew is called Wet & Forget. You can find out more at http://www.wetandforget.com

• BOB SCRANTON Says:
    March 20th, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I caught the end of part of a radio show that talked about a product that can be sprayed on for mildew and it does not need washing off. The spokesman said you can find this product on our website which I have not be able to find. The radio show aired March 20, 2014 here in Florida on one of our local stations. Can you tell me the name of the product? thank you