November Home Maintenance To-Do List
By: Danny Lipford
To-Do #5: Fix Squeaky Door Hinges
While you’re at it, give some attention to those squeaky door hinges as well. It won’t be long before Christmas is here, and you wouldn’t want a squeaky hinge calling attention to any sneaky elves!
You can use powdered graphite for door hinges, but the black powder can sift down and stain your floors. For better results, pick up a small container of white lithium grease or machine oil.
To Lubricate Door Hinges:
- Close and latch the door.
- Use a hammer and nail, or a nail set, to tap out the hinge pin.
- Coat the hinge pin with a small amount of white lithium grease or machine oil. A little goes a long way!
- Tap the hinge pin back in the hinge.
- Open and close the door a few times to distribute the lubricate.
- Use a rag to wipe up any extra grease or oil that squeezes out of the hinge.
Watch How to Fix Squeaky Door Hinges to see how it’s done.