November Home Maintenance To-Do List

Opening the cover on a smoke alarm to change the battery.

Change the battery in a smoke detector at least once a year.

To-Do #6: Test Smoke and CO Alarms

With cold weather arriving and furnaces and fireplaces cranking up, this is a good time to test your smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors to make sure they’re functioning properly.

Press and hold the “test” button on the smoke or CO detector to make sure the alarm goes off. Replace the batteries if the alarm doesn’t work, or if the batteries are more than a year old, then test again.

Be sure to write the date the battery was replaced on the battery or on a piece of tape stuck to the back of the alarm. It’s also a good idea to blow out smoke and CO alarms with canned air periodically to remove dust. Also, be sure to replace any alarms that are over than 10 years.

Check out our article on Fire Safety for Your Home to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

11 Comments on “November Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Andrea Says:
    November 3rd, 2014 at 6:24 pm

This is actually a really good list! Very helpful, thank you. I always have done an old school trick I learned from my mother, which is put half a lemon in the garbage disposal and turn it on. It makes it smell great the whole day:).

• Peggy Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’ve used this for unclogging the disposal when necessary, but never thought of refreshing or cleaning it with this method. Thanks

• Papa Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 11:45 am

Awesome list Danny. I’m going to get started on it today!

November 1st, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the kind words!

• Robert W. Huffman Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 10:23 am

Been a homeowner in the same home for 43 years now & and your advice is very helpful. Thank you.

• Terry Auman Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 9:54 am

Many years of satisfied service. Thank you all.

November 1st, 2014 at 11:56 am

Pat,
    I can top that, we had a squirrel that gnawed on the aluminum threshold on our front door!

• Pat Landry Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 9:49 am

Have you ever seen a squirrel eat wood framing on a home? I have one eating the decorative trim around my front door near the entrance. I filled in the hole he chewed last year but he’s returned again this year to eat the same area again. We’ve tried pepper sprays and preparations put on the wood. Help! Why is he eating the wood?

February 1st, 2014 at 8:00 am

Teresa,
    Glad to hear it!

• Teresa Says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Great show, I watch it every Saturday morning!!!

• Sara in Abilene Says:
    December 1st, 2013 at 8:43 am

Love your show and website!!

Please see what you can do about fixing the website, so that when you select a video, it doesn’t take you back to the first set of videos to select.

Keep up the great work. I’ve actually taken care of somethings around the house on my own.

Thanks,