Packing and Moving Tips
By: Julie Day
Use bubble wrap to pack glassware in boxes or plastic containers.
- Allow Time: An organized move can take a month or longer, especially if you’re planning to have a yard sale.
- Find Transportation: Reserve moving trucks or companies well in advance. If you’re hiring movers, check references, licenses, and insurance policies.
- Think Big: Don’t skimp on the size of your moving truck! The cost difference for a larger truck or trailer is cheaper than the last minute expense and stress of extra trips or vehicles.
- Plan Ahead: Figure out how you’re going to use each room in your new house and where your furniture will fit, then pack and label your boxes according to the room they’re for.
- Gather Boxes: Stock up on boxes, totes, bubble wrap, packing tape, labels, and markers. You can never have too many!
- Purge: Challenge yourself to see how much unneeded stuff you can get rid of. As packing progresses, it’s tempting to just throw things in to deal with later; but it’s always much harder later!
- Staging Areas: Set up one or more staging area for packing and organizing. Save your back by filling boxes on folding tables or chairs, rather than on the floor.
« Previous Page Next Page »