Generator Safety

By: Danny Lipford
Play | Download (Right Click, Save As...)

When the lights go out, a generator can be a lifesaver. But used improperly it can also be deadly. The engines on these things create carbon monoxide gas, which is invisible, odorless, and deadly; so only operate a generate in the open at a safe distance from your home. Never use one in a garage, carport, basement, crawlspace, or near an open door or window.

Also, never attach a portable generator directly to the wiring in your home. Instead, plug electrical devices into a heavy duty extension cord that’s attached to the generator.

Be sure the combined wattage of all the devices plugged into the generator doesn’t exceed the rated capacity of either the generator or extension cord.

Finally, turn the generator off and allow it to cool before refueling.



Please Leave a Comment

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.