September Home Maintenance To-Do List

Fire burning in fireplace.

To-Do #3: Inspect and Clean Fireplace and Chimney

Cold weather’s coming, which means warming up next to a cozy fireplace is on the way! Before lighting a fire in your fireplace, it’s a good idea to have a chimney sweep inspect the fireplace and chimney and clean it if needed.

Make sure the chimney sweep is certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America. Even better, look for someone who’s a F.I.R.E. (Fireplace Investigation, Repair, and Education) Certified Inspector. That way you can feel confident the person is qualified to assess and repair both chimney and fireplace problems and also to spot potential fire dangers in and around the unit.

Fireplace inspections should be done every year, as well as when purchasing a home, especially if you don’t know the condition of the fireplace.

After performing the inspection, the chimney sweep will make recommendations for repair or cleaning. Generally, chimneys should be cleaned when the creosote buildup reaches 1/4″ or more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

15 Comments on “September Home Maintenance To-Do List”

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    September 26th, 2016 at 11:03 am

Patrena, you can find our 4 Seasons of Home Ownership checklists for each season here: http://www.todayshomeowner.com/4seasons/

• Patrena Miller Says:
    September 24th, 2016 at 6:30 am

I saw a episode as I was preparing for the day early one morning. I saw your checklist which reminded me of the one I had from several years back. I liked your list and wanted to get a copy of it; not only to compare with mine but to put to use what I may have missed.

• Judith Markus Says:
    September 1st, 2016 at 4:19 pm

We enjoy your show so much, even though it airs very early on our local cbs channel! We love the monthly updates and the info you provide both on the show and on the website. Printed out the fall list, even though we have lived in this house many years, it’s always good to have a reminder list of things that should be attended to. Might I mention one other: have your pest control company do a thorough check inside your home for evidence of insects/rodents. Even with the best pest control, things do happen, and can be overlooked if in an unused space.

• Papa Says:
    September 1st, 2016 at 3:39 pm

I’ve only got two more things to do on the list!

September 8th, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Hi Eleanor,
    Glad to hear you enjoy our show, thanks for the feedback!

• Eleanor Riggins Says:
    September 8th, 2015 at 7:36 am

I enjoy watching your show, information is so very helpful and informative.

• Robbie Price Says:
    September 1st, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I would like to know more about lubricating your garage doors with engine oil. I have used white lithium grease, but they still seem loud.

September 10th, 2014 at 7:53 am

Hi Mary Lu,
    You can find information about the door sweeps Danny talked about in our article on Smart Home Maintenance at http://www.todayshomeowner.com/smart-home-maintenance-and-improvement-tips-for-fall/
    Thank you for your interest!

• Mary Lu Kennedy Says:
    September 9th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I just saw your show on Morning Blend and I didn’t catch all that you said about the door sweeps. Where could I see that again? Thank you.
    Mary Lu

• Jim Day Says:
    September 1st, 2014 at 10:06 am

Had a metal roof installed next to the back of my house over a wooden deck. It’s great sitting out with my coffee & enjoying mother nature. However it leaks under roof & the facial boards.. Help.
    Thanks,
    Jim

• Ray Says:
    September 24th, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I saw you installing a laminate floor that was like vinyl, was i seeing that right, if so, where can i get it?

• Linda Cockrell Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 4:08 am

Always enjoy Danny’s projects

• Linda Cockrell Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 4:04 am

Enjoy show very much.

• SM Johnson Says:
    September 16th, 2013 at 9:50 am

Once again Danny provides solid advice on how to prepare your home for the new season. Cosmetic changes are always nice, but solid advice for safety and security in your home are top notch! Sharon, HomeMD Inspection Services

• Marilyn Savitt-Kring Says:
    September 6th, 2013 at 10:44 pm

The ends of our concrete walks are breaking apart and crumbling. How can this be repaired? Thank you.