Spring Home Maintenance To-Do List

Garage after cleaning and organizing.

Garage after a thorough cleaning and organizing.

Indoor Spring House Cleaning & Organizing

• Garbage Disposal: Here’s an easy way to clean garbage disposals using household ingredients in your pantry. Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into the disposal followed by a cup of white vinegar. Once the bubbles subside, pour in a pot of boiling water, and allow it sit for five minutes. Finally, run cold water through the disposal, and turn it on to flush out any remaining debris. To keep funky smells at bay, turn the disposal on and run a lemon peel or juice and crushed ice through it.
  • Windows and Doors: Remove winter grunge and spring pollen by cleaning the glass on windows and doors. It’s best to tackle this chore on a cloudy day, so the sun won’t cause streaks. Make your own organic glass cleaner by adding 1½ cups white vinegar to one gallon of water. Spray the solution on the glass and wipe dry with a clean microfiber cloth or balled-up newspapers. If the windows are extra grimy, use one cloth to remove the dirt and a second cloth to rinse and shine the glass.
  • Garage: Take the time to clean out and organize your garage. First, get rid of anything you haven’t used lately. Throw away any unusable items, recycling what you can, and donate or sell usable items you no longer need. To improve the look and function of your garage, seal and paint the garage floor and build storage shelves to keep it neat. You can also add bike hooks on the ceiling and hanging racks for garden tools.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

10 Comments on “Spring Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Tim vanVonno Says:
    May 24th, 2016 at 1:47 pm

This is a great piece. I hope you could give a detailed list of products and where they are available. Thank you and more power!

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    March 14th, 2016 at 4:57 pm

John, this isn’t the list the most recent episode is referring to. The “4 Seasons of Home Ownership” spring checklist can be found here: http://www.todayshomeowner.com/4seasons/spring/

Thanks for watching!

• John Crocker Says:
    March 13th, 2016 at 3:47 am

Watched your show this morning and liked it; however, the “list” of maintenance items is not a list, it’s a pile of paragraphs spread over multi-pages and not easily printed as a list.

Just trying to be helpful….

Thanks for your show — I like it a lot.

• Joy Bullington Says:
    March 6th, 2016 at 8:17 am

For the person that tried wet and forget, it takes time, but it will work. I sprayed my bamboo shades that had mildew on them – after I had tried so many other products – and just let it be. After a month or two, the mildew was gone. Beat anything I have ever seen. It is not like other “instant” products.

• johnnie ireson Says:
    March 2nd, 2016 at 10:27 am

I found wet and forget at Sams club. tried it. I would not waste my money on it.

• Natalie Hilbert Says:
    April 20th, 2014 at 5:05 am

My son’s bedroom is sooooooo small there is no room for a closet. There is no place to put his clothes. He’s an 18 year old so he has lots of t-shirts etc. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Love the show I watch it and also air it on WHIO-TV, Dayton!!!

Thanks,
    Natalie

• Mindy Hakanen Says:
    April 2nd, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I would Love to have Danny come and help us do all this stuff! LOL he would be here forever trying to fix things around our house. We live in the house my Parents owned and it sure needs a lot of updating and work. We are working a little at a time. I love the show and it’s to bad he doesn’t come north sometimes. Like to Wisconsin. Thanks for sharing all the great ideas on the show!

• Liz Says:
    April 2nd, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Google the product. It looks like you can buy it in some stores and online.

March 29th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Linda,
    You can find information on Wet & Forget in our article on 3 Products to Reduce Spring Maintenance at http://www.todayshomeowner.com/3-products-to-reduce-spring-maintenance-on-your-home/

• Linda Bender Says:
    March 29th, 2014 at 11:53 am

Saw the Charlotte Today Show. on 3/20/14. I can not find the Wet and Forget that you used for cleaning the gutters??? Where can I find this product. Please I want this products .