Spring Home Maintenance To-Do List

Cleaning deck steps with a pressure washer.

Cleaning deck steps with a pressure washer.

Outdoor Spring House Cleaning

• Gutters: Clogged and overflowing gutters can damage your home’s eaves and foundation when rainwater overflows. In preparation for spring rains, clean gutters and unclog downspouts. To make cleaning gutters easier, cut the bottom and sides off a plastic jug that’s the same width as your gutters, and use it to scoop out the debris. Then use a garden hose to rinse out the gutter and downspouts. When you’re finished, empty the gutter debris on your compost pile.
  • Roof: Before it becomes too hot, now is the time to clean your roof. Begin by sweeping or blowing off away leaves and branches on the roof, paying particular attention around chimneys and in valleys.
  • Siding & Trim: You can use a garden hose and long handled scrub brush to clean the outside of your house, but a pressure washer can make the job go faster. Just be careful to not over do it and damage wood siding and trim. A mixture of bleach, detergent, and water can be used to remove mildew and clean vinyl siding, or you can use a product like Wet & Forget Outdoor Cleaner to keep mold and mildew away for up to a year.
  • Deck: If your wood deck is looking a little worse for wear, spring is a good time to clean and refinish it. Start by spraying down the deck with a commercial deck cleaner, then follow up with a pressure washer or scrub brush to remove dirt and mildew. Repair any rotten boards, and drive in protruding nails or replace them with deck screws. Sand rough boards to prevent splinters, then apply deck sealer or deck stain with a pump sprayer followed by a paintbrush to even out the stain and force it into the grain.
  • Outdoor Furniture: Scrub away any mildew and grime, allow to dry, and apply a coat of car wax to hard surfaces. Clean cushions by washing removable covers or scrubbing upholstery. Read our article on How To Clean Outdoor Furniture to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

10 Comments on “Spring Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Tim vanVonno Says:
    May 24th, 2016 at 1:47 pm

This is a great piece. I hope you could give a detailed list of products and where they are available. Thank you and more power!

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    March 14th, 2016 at 4:57 pm

John, this isn’t the list the most recent episode is referring to. The “4 Seasons of Home Ownership” spring checklist can be found here: http://www.todayshomeowner.com/4seasons/spring/

Thanks for watching!

• John Crocker Says:
    March 13th, 2016 at 3:47 am

Watched your show this morning and liked it; however, the “list” of maintenance items is not a list, it’s a pile of paragraphs spread over multi-pages and not easily printed as a list.

Just trying to be helpful….

Thanks for your show — I like it a lot.

• Joy Bullington Says:
    March 6th, 2016 at 8:17 am

For the person that tried wet and forget, it takes time, but it will work. I sprayed my bamboo shades that had mildew on them – after I had tried so many other products – and just let it be. After a month or two, the mildew was gone. Beat anything I have ever seen. It is not like other “instant” products.

• johnnie ireson Says:
    March 2nd, 2016 at 10:27 am

I found wet and forget at Sams club. tried it. I would not waste my money on it.

• Natalie Hilbert Says:
    April 20th, 2014 at 5:05 am

My son’s bedroom is sooooooo small there is no room for a closet. There is no place to put his clothes. He’s an 18 year old so he has lots of t-shirts etc. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Love the show I watch it and also air it on WHIO-TV, Dayton!!!

Thanks,
    Natalie

• Mindy Hakanen Says:
    April 2nd, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I would Love to have Danny come and help us do all this stuff! LOL he would be here forever trying to fix things around our house. We live in the house my Parents owned and it sure needs a lot of updating and work. We are working a little at a time. I love the show and it’s to bad he doesn’t come north sometimes. Like to Wisconsin. Thanks for sharing all the great ideas on the show!

• Liz Says:
    April 2nd, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Google the product. It looks like you can buy it in some stores and online.

March 29th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Linda,
    You can find information on Wet & Forget in our article on 3 Products to Reduce Spring Maintenance at http://www.todayshomeowner.com/3-products-to-reduce-spring-maintenance-on-your-home/

• Linda Bender Says:
    March 29th, 2014 at 11:53 am

Saw the Charlotte Today Show. on 3/20/14. I can not find the Wet and Forget that you used for cleaning the gutters??? Where can I find this product. Please I want this products .