Top 5 Heating System Tips for Your Home

By: Connor Adkins

Old central heating/cooling unit in attic.

Tip #5: How to know when it’s time to replace your furnace.

As reliable as your furnace may have been, it might be time for a new one. Here are some warning signs that your furnace may be ready for replacement:

• Room Temperature: If some rooms are warmer than others, you have uneven heat distribution. It might simply be that the ducts need adjusting or cleaning, but it could indicate a problem with the furnace or heating system itself.
  • Furnace Age: Furnaces typically need to be replaced after 15 years, and heat pumps after 10. If you’re not sure about the age of your furnace, a dealer or HVAC pro can give you an estimate of its age and expected lifespan.
  • Unusual Sounds: Unusual or excessive noise could indicate that the duct system is too small for your home, which can cause a strain on the furnace, or there may be a problem with the furnace itself.
  • High Heating Bills: If your winter heating bills are through the roof, a more energy efficient furnace might be the answer. Start by taking the Energy Star Home Energy Yardstick to see how your home scores on a 1 to 10 scale. If you score a 5 or lower, you’re probably using more energy than necessary to heat and cool your home. In addition to installing a more energy efficient heating system, you should also consider adding more insulation and improving the energy efficiency of windows and doors.

About the Author

Connor Adkins enjoys home improvement projects and gets lots of good tips from Always Plumbing and Heating providing furnace repair for the Edmonton area.

« Previous Page

Comments

8 Comments on “Top 5 Heating System Tips for Your Home”

• Jackie Oliver Says:
    April 21st, 2016 at 8:16 am

I learned so much from this! I have always been under the impression that shutting the vents in the rooms you aren’t using could save you money. It’s good to know that it really doesn’t make a difference. I also really like what you said about not putting your thermostat up crazy high, and just letting it warm up on it’s own.

• Braden Bills Says:
    March 31st, 2016 at 8:29 am

I’ve been trying to find some good ways to save money on my heating bill. I always thought that closing off rooms was supposed to lower the heating bill! I didn’t know it did basically nothing. Thanks for sharing!

• Gaston Parizeau Says:
    February 19th, 2016 at 4:50 pm

From my experience I would have to say that the majority of people don’t realize that the second tip is true, unfortunately. People seemingly tend to believe that the higher the thermostat is turned up, the hotter the air will be that comes out, which is clearly not true. One result of this belief is that people crank it up, and forget to turn it back down to the temperature that they were actually aiming for, resulting excessive heating bills.

• Raylin Sutter Says:
    September 4th, 2015 at 8:31 am

I have a really old heating and air conditioning system in my home. I believe it was installed in the 90s and we are about to replace it as it hardly works right now. It is pretty noisy and the temperature is never consistent in the house so it is definitely time for a new one. When I do get a new one (in a couple weeks) what is the best way to maintain it to ensure that it lasts long as well?

• Rachelle Reeves Says:
    July 8th, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the tips! I’ve always thought that raising the temperature on the thermostat would raise the temperature quicker, but I guess I was wrong. I will make sure to replace the filter in the furnace more often so that it stays in good shape. Hopefully by taking care of my furnace and using it properly, I will be able to lower my heating bill.

• Jim Sanders Says:
    June 11th, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Heating is one of, if not THE highest consumer of energy. Keeping up on furnace maintenance and replacing filters when you should will definitely save you money in the long run. There’s no reason to make that already sizable bill even bigger.

Jim

January 8th, 2015 at 11:19 am

Frank,
    Sounds like the cold water line(s) to bathrooms are frozen. You won’t know if the line has broken or has a leak until it thaws out. Be sure and have a water cut-off key handy to turn off the main to your house in case it does leak. You can find out more about thawing out frozen pipes at http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-prevent-pipes-from-freezing-and-thaw-frozen-pipes/

Unless they cut the water line somehow, installing a new heating/cooling system should have anything to do with the cold water in your bathroom not working.

• Frank Black Says:
    January 8th, 2015 at 8:48 am

its very cold out my cold water doesn’t come out of the sink in both bathrooms or into the toilets after I flush but the hot water is working fine in both bath rooms how to fix.

I also had a new HVAC put in but because I am having a patio build so they took my old a/c and will install it when the patio gets build will this cause my cold water to not come out in my bathrooms the hot water is find its been two months now and they will have another two months before installing this a/c.