Treating Cut Tree Limbs with Wound Paint

By: Julie Day

Wound paints and dressings claim to prevent rot and help trees heal from pruning wounds, but research suggests that they actually do more harm than good. When you cut off a tree limb, or the bark gets damaged, the tree never actually “heals.” Instead, it compartmentalizes the wounded area with a special type of calloused wood – like a scar – that keeps out bacteria and helps the rest of the tree recover.

Painting wound with wound paint or dressing can:

• Prevent the tree from forming calloused wood, which can keep the tree weaker.
  • Seal in water, bacteria, fungi, and decay.
  • Attract disease causing organisms that feed on the wound paint.
  • Interfere with a natural recovery process that nature has taken eons to perfect!

To help keep your trees healthy when pruning:

• Prune in late winter while trees are dormant.
  • Sterilize pruning shears and saws between cuts with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
  • Target specific risks by treating wounds with an organic fungicide or insecticide.
  • Make careful, clean pruning cuts just outside the branch collar, where the tree can most quickly heal.

There are a few devastating diseases, such as oak wilt, that are introduced through insects feeding off pruning cuts, then spread from tree to tree via the roots. Wound paint can reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of these infections, so some tree experts feel that the downside of wound paint is better than the risk of spreading this disease throughout a neighborhood.

Check to see if diseases are a problem in your area. If they are, follow the guidelines from your local extension service regarding the use of wound paint when pruning. In general, however, only use wound paint when absolutely necessary to prevent specific diseases.

Comments

21 Comments on “Treating Cut Tree Limbs with Wound Paint”

• Elena Says:
    July 25th, 2016 at 2:38 pm

I have a very young red bud tree in my back yard (about 3-4 years old). In the spring I tried to prune one of the bottom branches. Unfortunately I did not use any pruning tools but rather tried to break it off with my hands. As the branch came off it pulled a small layer of bark on one side. That side seem to have healed but a crack had formed in that spot and I don’t like the way it looks. What is the best way to fix that?

• Luke Yancey Says:
    July 13th, 2016 at 7:43 am

So that’s what the paint around the trees is for. I am from the northwest and have never seen a tree with paint around the bottom of it. A few years ago, when I went to Russia, I saw that nearly all of their trees had paint around the bottom trunks. I couldn’t figure out what it was for, but after reading your article, it must be to protect the tree from bacteria, fungi, and decay!

• randy Says:
    March 4th, 2016 at 11:24 am

How about using canola oil.

Or would tea tree oil be good to put on a cut branch

• Jason D. Cecil Says:
    February 3rd, 2016 at 9:32 pm

More than anything, wound sealants and tar paint are aesthetics. I’m from Florida originally where its common to paint over pruning cuts in say a pine or magnolia. If only because a customer doesn’t want to see the cuts.
    Currently I’m working in the Pacific Northwest and in 7 years of both commercial and residential work I have never seen anyone but landscapers use the stuff.

Jason D. Cecil
    ISA Certified Arborist

• Becky Eisemann Says:
    October 25th, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Our large old Magnolia tree was just trimmed way back and a rotted limb removed near the top. The trimmer recommends tar treatment on that cut and a couple of others that show rot in the center, but otherwise he said the tree is healthy and just needs some good vitamins at the base. What would you recommend, regarding the tar and the vitamins?

• barrington Says:
    October 11th, 2015 at 12:28 pm

So much for my tree painting business. I will go back to house numbers on the curb. Do not want to be left out on a limb. Nipped in the bud!

• SallyFlaig Says:
    May 3rd, 2015 at 7:47 am

I have an old dogwood (60 years) in my yard that has lost several limbs to storms over the years. I had to cut some dead branches off a week ago and now it is dripping a clear liquid from those sites. Is it too late to use pruning paint? Please help!! I don’t want to lose the tree – it is one of the reasons I bought the house!!

• Gina Wallis Says:
    May 2nd, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Every time I cut off limbs or branches, I get a lot of new branches springing up in the cut off area. Any trick to keep this from happening? I even cut down a tree leaving the truck about a foot high hoping it would die and it is now a tall tree once again.

• Lisa Guay Says:
    April 17th, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I just had a VERY large Norway Spruce cut down and have left about 15ft of trunk still standing. I was hoping to build a deck around it but wanted to know if or how long before it would start to rot and if I can somehow prevent it

• Barbara Says:
    October 9th, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I have a 10 year old ash tree that was damaged when a semi hit a large branch and tore it off leaving a gaping wound. Ash borer is a big problem here. Should I put wound paint on this. Most unhappy for my healthy tree.

• SLThompson Says:
    September 16th, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I came home to find 3 teenagers throwing an axe at my maple tree! The damage is pretty bad about 6 feet high of cuts and 1 foot wide area. The center of which has no bark at all where the axe kept hitting the target. I’m devastated! Friends suggested pruning paint but I am so upset I am afraid I’ll make the wrong decision and hurt it further.

• Janet Delaney Says:
    August 8th, 2014 at 7:09 am

My neighbor has a very large black walnut tree that spreads over a large section on my yard. I am getting little light and wish to cut at least one limb out. My question is; can I put something on the cut limb near the trunk to keep it from re-growing back? My side neighbor did a big job on this tree and everything grew back and then some! Also, when is the best time to cut a black walnut? Black walnut 1- Neighbor 0

• mike Says:
    August 8th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

hi , i’ve been an arborist for over 15 years and there has been a lot of talk about wound dressing trimmed limbs.
    in my experience i have seen insect entry through large wounds on trees.. i know that trees have evolved over millions of years but chainsaws are recent and trees havn’t adapted to large limbs removed by this method,
    i feel there is a place for large limbs to be coated with a water based paint to keep out air born fungi spores and other oportunist insects. trust me i’ve cut down many trees that have fallen victum to large limb removal. in my opinion people are followers of others opinions. when you work in the industry over many years you actually see the results of large wounds on trees and the effect of opportunist pathogens,, which have also evolved over millions of years to enter trees in this way. we are artificially interfearing with the natural process by cuttingt etc, why not use a wound paint under sertain cercunstances, in my opion allways keep an open mind,

• Chris Francis Says:
    December 21st, 2012 at 6:23 am

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to correct a pruning cut made too close. That is why it is uber important to make sure the pruning cuts are made professionally. Don’t kill the messenger.

CHRIS FRANCIS

* ISA Certified Arborist
    * Alabama State Licensed:
    – Tree Surgeon
    – Landscape Designer
    – Landscape Contractor
    – Pest Control Supervisor
    * Certified Landscape Professional

CHRIS FRANCIS LANDSCAPES
    Tree Service & Landscaping

• Larry Host Says:
    December 20th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

We had a large branch (~12″) removed from our maple. After several years the wound has only healed about an inch and the center is rotting. I think the collar was cut into. It’s great to know what went wrong, but that doesn’t fix what’s already done. A tree person said I should scarify the doughnut to accelerate the wound sealing. I haven’t yet found a picture of what that should look like. I also don’t know if wound paint would stop the rot until the collar can close over the opening. Can you put up pictures or provide a web address that might help with how to remediate an improperly pruned limb?
    Thanks for your visuals for proper cutting.

• Ray Kostanty Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

What about bark damage due to branches being torn off by high winds, vs. nice clean saw cuts? The bark damage is very irregular, maybe a foot across and two feet top to bottom. I could send you a photo, but this form doesn’t allow that.

• Chris Francis Says:
    October 14th, 2012 at 5:47 pm

The wound paint will not help your young tree. At this point, take a soil sample so you can provide the nutrients your tree needs and possibly adjust the pH. If the damage was minor, it may make a decent recovery. The alternative is removal, so it is worth a shot to see if it will make it; but remember that those injuries will stay with your tree forever: keep an eye on it. The best plan is prevention: put fencing around small trees to protect them from wildlife.

CHRIS FRANCIS

* ISA Certified Arborist
    * Alabama State Licensed:
    – Tree Surgeon
    – Landscape Designer
    – Landscape Contractor
    – Pest Control Supervisor
    * Certified Landscape Professional

CHRIS FRANCIS LANDSCAPES
    Tree Service & Landscaping

• John Gallivan Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I have had deer chew most of the bark off a young black walnut tree. the tre is about 2 inches in diameter. I sprayed tree wound paint over the debarked area. What is the best way to save a tree like this. It did leaf out the next year but I’m not sure how long it will survive.

• Chris Francis Says:
    May 29th, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Is the limb on an oak tree? Do you have oak wilt in your area? Chances are you do not have oak wilt in your area. Even if you did, the wound paint is only effective if it is sprayed immediately. You waited too long. Do not use tar or paint. Your tree is better off without it. Do, however, make a good final cut OUTSIDE of the branch collar.

CHRIS FRANCIS
    * ISA Certified Arborist
    * Alabama State Licensed:
    – Tree Surgeon
    – Landscape Designer
    – Landscape Contractor
    – Pest Control Supervisor
    * Certified Landscape Professional

Chris Francis Landscapes

Tree Service & Landscaping

• JOSEPH L SEXTON Says:
    May 29th, 2012 at 12:53 pm

IF YOU CAN REPLY THAT WOULD BE GREAT. THIS ARTICLE LEAVES ME NOWHERE. I CUT A BRANCH THAT WAS NEARLY TOUCHING THE GROUND AFTER LAST YEARS OCTOBER WET SNOW SURPRISE. I WAITED TILL NOW HOPING THE SAP MIGHT STRAIGHTEN IT BUT IT DIDN’T, SO I CUT IT. I USED TO USE SPRAY TAR, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BUT I REMEMBER SOMETHING I READ SIMILIAR TO YOUR ARTICLE ABOUT LEAVING IT ALONE. YOUR ARTICLE WAS NOT A DEFINITE APPROACH BUT RATHER DAMED IF I DO, DAMED IF I DON’T.

• Chris Francis Says:
    November 15th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Great article on tree wound paint. I get that question all the time.

CHRIS FRANCIS