Ask Danny

Using CFLs in Light Fixtures

My light fixtures have a maximum rating for wattage bulbs (i.e. 60 watt, etc.). If I change to the energy efficient bulbs (screw in fluorescent) do the recommended wattage ratings still apply? I thought that the wattage rating has to do with the amount of heat that the bulb generated thus creating a fire hazard. The fluorescent bulbs do not generate as much heat as the incandescent bulbs so can I go up on the bulb wattage? The same wattage fluorescent bulbs seem dimmer than the incandescent bulbs. -Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Yes, you can use a compact fluorescent (CFL) bulb that produces more light as long as it doesn’t exceed the wattage recommended for the fixture.

Light bulbs are commonly compared using both watts and lumens. Watts are the amount of electricity used by the bulb while lumens measure the light produced. Light fixtures have a maximum wattage rating to prevent the wiring and area around the fixture from overheating and causing a fire. Since CFLs uses a fourth the electricity of a comparably bright incandescent, they produce far less heat. So you can use a compact fluorescent bulb that gives more light (lumens) than an incandescent as long as it doesn’t consume more electricity (watts) than the fixture recommends.

To give an example, say your light fixture calls for a maximum of 60 watts. A CFL bulb that produces the same amount of light as a 60 watt incandescent bulb (900 lumens) only uses around 15 watts of electricity. So you can put a CFL in the fixture that equals the light output of a 100 watt incandescent (1,600 lumens) and still only use 25 watts of electricity.

When comparing the light output of the two types of bulbs, remember that it takes CFLs a few minutes to reach their peak light output. More information on compact fluorescent light bulbs can be found in our article CFL: A Bright Idea for Going Green.

Danny

10 Comments on “Using CFLs in Light Fixtures”

1. Mark Says:
    March 10th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

It’s true the CFL only uses 15 watts, however you are paying for 25 VA of electricity. In other words you are not getting your moneys worth. These CFL bulbs have a very high power factor, and requires more electricity to run the transformers inslde the bulb that it can product.

Also it is recommended that you call HazMet if you break one of these new fangled, over priced piecs of junk.

The ‘Old’ Incandescent you got what you paid for 100 watts is exactly what you get. Not so with this scam of the CFL.

2. Phil Says:
    September 25th, 2008 at 8:33 am

Sorry Mark, but that’s complete rubbish.

3. David Says:
    April 13th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Phil is right, Mark. You say a 15 watt bulb takes 25 volt-amps? Rubbish. A watt IS a volt-amp. 1W = 1V x 1A. Look up the definition of watt. A watt is also the unit of power, so saying that a CFL bulb has a high power factor means nothing. A 15 watt CFL bulb takes 15 watts of power. A 100 watt incandescent bulb takes 100 watts of power.

4. Steve Says:
    May 12th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I’ve heard the power factor argument before, but in this context it’s bogus. Even if you were right, with an incandescent most of the energy is turned into waste heat. I’d rather pay for 25 watts and get 15 watts worth of light then pay for 100 watts and get the same amount of light.

5. Bronwyn Robinson Says:
    August 15th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I have a chandelier that uses 6 candle based bulbs in it, I have replaced the incandescent ones with CFLs but one of the CFL bulbs has blown out. Can I put in an incandescent until I can get a new CFL bulb. In other words can they be combined.

6. Official Comment:

August 19th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Hi Bronwyn,
    As far as I’m aware, they could be combined. Keep in mind tjat CFL bulbs are not dimmable unless they say they are on the package.

7. Talat Hmoud Says:
    February 5th, 2010 at 7:00 am

have a chandelier that uses 9 incandescent bulbs, I have replaced the incandescent ones with CFLs but chandelier will not turn on unless I replace one of CFL bulb with an incandescent one . I am using X10 Dmmer switches, and the CFLs are dimmable, Is there a way to fix this problem so I can have all bulbs CFLs.

8. Tyler Smith Says:
    March 11th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I have had VERY poor experience replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs in enclosed fixtures (globes, school house lights, etc.). They burn out very quickly which suggests to me that they are more sensitive to overheating than incandescents. The wattage of the CFLs is much less than the wattage of the incandescents that they replaced.

9. Steve Says:
    January 5th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

well something is wrong with these CFL’s. I took a 40 watt incandescent bulb in a light fixture and plugged it into my little watt/amp energy miser device and what did I discover? The 40 watt bulb ran at 38 watts I replaced it with a 23 watt (60 watt equivalent) and it ran between 78 and 86 watts depending on how long I let it sit and the brighter it got the wattage used increased. Well well well, I find this very interesting indeed. Why is it that the bulb is rated at 23 watts and it used 80 watts? more or less.

10. Jay Says:
    April 25th, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Is it possible to rewire an exterior light fixture component to be able to install larger wattage (100) bulb? There is currently 12 gauge Rolex in the recepatcle