Vegetable Garden: Growing Cool-Season Vegetables

By: Julie Day

Peas

Cool-Season Vegetable #8: Peas

Peas are another very hardy vegetable that can be planted in early spring, as soon as the soil can be worked. They can survive temperatures down to 25° F and even a light snow but don’t like hot weather.

Zones 7 and warmer can grow peas as a winter crop, or plant seeds in the fall to germinate in early spring. Colder zones can plant seeds 1-2 months before the last frost.

Like other legumes, peas absorb nitrogen from the air and shouldn’t be over-fertilized.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

9 Comments on “Vegetable Garden: Growing Cool-Season Vegetables”

• DOROTHY PERSON Says:
    March 23rd, 2016 at 2:21 pm

March 23,2016…Here in Hallsboro North Carolina the rain has closed off a little leaving us with cool, cold, sometimes some warm days and just a little rain and some sun shine just enough that on march 10th I planted one row of sweet peas which are up already and on march 5th before I planted some collards and planted some onions in between the collards the onions are bursting up about an inch or so already. I also planted some kale and planted some mustard seeds mixed with turnip seeds they to are coming up already. although the weather set me back a little I feel good to see progress already now I can sit back pray and wait for the harvest. Easter is just around the corner; so by the 28th of March or a little after I plan on getting the rest of my seeds and plants in the ground. I pray that each individual that desire to plant this year have a success .so get out and plant something. keep some for yourselves and share the harvest. be blessed of the Lord. check me out on face book Evangelist Dorothy Smith Person and see the results of some success I have had with my hobby of planting a garden etc.

• Donna Harrington Says:
    August 17th, 2015 at 11:41 am

I live in Midland, Tx and have never planted cool season crops. I only have a small garden, but get green beans, bell peppers,some onions (not too much success with them), and lots of yellow and zucchini squash. I would love to know what to plant and when to clear away the old crop and plant cool season crops. What I am wanting is a fall garden and when to plant and list of what to plant.
    Donna Harrington

• Dorothy Smith Person Says:
    January 8th, 2015 at 12:07 pm

it was cold here in Hallsboro North Carolina 28442 Wednesday night night and early Thursday morning today the high probably be around 30 and tonight we probably get like 18 but we got plenty of sunshine Thank God tomorrow will be a tad warmer probably 47 for the high. I got to put that plug in there for the person that help me with my garden when I need information there is no better place or shall I say person to look up than Mr Danny Lipford you can find great information on his site. I found information such as the first frost for our area for the winter is October 31st through March the 28th. Also I found out that we will have frost life from March 28 to November the 17th and that we will have no frost around April to 17th through October the 14th. information like this is very helpful and you can plan around those frost dates and you’re planning time and clearing the garden so when you have nothing to do look up Danny Lipford you will find something very interesting information.

by Dorothy Smith Person
    2015 January

• Dorothy Smith Person Says:
    January 8th, 2015 at 11:09 am

happy 2015 to all the garden grows out there this year pass has been a blessed one for me already have my sweet peas growing in my garden they are about 2&a half to 3 inches tall I just replanted some more for that step ladder effect I hope everyone have a blessed season in their garden for this 2015 planting season-enjoy your harvest January 7-2015 from Dorothy Smith Person Hallsboro NC

• Dorothy Smith Person Says:
    April 11th, 2012 at 9:00 am

I had a good garden crop Last year. At the end of the year on December 13, 2012 I planted some sweet garden peas.Before planting them I contacted Danny Lipford for information in planting different vegetables in my area.I followed the tips he gave to me and on April 13 2012 I picked those garden peas. I got a bushel of peas. They were were a blessing to look at to see how they matured.If in doubt in planting or having a problem I do recommend Danny Lipford for any problem you might have when it come to planting a garden.To see my First Picking Pictures of The Garden Peas I planted go to Dorothy Smith Person On face Book and check Out the size of those peas.when I figure how to post them on this sight I will.And don’t forget let Danny Lipford help you plant your garden. Posted by Evangelist Dorothy Smith Person of Hallsboro, North Carolina on 4,11, 2012. Let’s get that spring garden finished to reap the benefit of the harvest.

• General Hydroponics Says:
    March 22nd, 2012 at 4:39 am

I have grown asparagus successfully in my garden. If you properly plan the asparagus section of your garden, you can have decades of asparagus year after year. Be sure not to locate the asparagus patch in low-lying areas that are subject to frost or poor drainage. Asparagus likes full sun and needs porous, well-aerated soil for its dense and extensive root network. Proper preparation for growing anything always involves soil testing.

• DOROTHY SMITH PERSON Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I had a good and blessed garden because I used this post for my information. I grew a 5 pound collard. It is now October 17, 2011, and I am a little late getting started this year; but since I am using this site again I am expecting to be blessed with a beautiful garden again; because if you follow the plans, you to will have great results. I plan to show my before and after planting from 10/17/2011 when my vegetables start coming up. from DOROTHY SMITH PERSON HALLSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA 28442. SO LET’S PLANT A GARDEN

March 22nd, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Hi Dorothy,
    Thanks for the feedback! In response I added links in the article above to Understanding Planting Zones, which includes a color coded U.S. map and a list of the location for all the planting zones. The vegetables you’re interested in planting are summer vegetables, so you might want to check out our article on Growing Warm-Season Vegetables as well as How to Determine Spring Planting Time, which has a map for when to plant a summer garden. Good luck with your garden!

• DOROTHY SMITH PERSON Says:
    March 22nd, 2011 at 9:11 am

i would like to see dates and best month the plant field peas, black eyed peas, watermelons, squash okra for Hallsboro North Carolina 28442. exactly what zone is this and when is the last frost date. in other words what can I plant in April what can i plant in January and what can I plant on Good Friday. you read zone 2,4,7 etc. but it do not tell you what state is those zone. exactly what zone is Hallsboro, North Carolina which is 7 miles from Whiteville, North Carolina. so what zone is Whiteville, North Carolina. from Dorothy Smith Person 2348 Red Bug Road Hallsboro North Carolina 28442. I love planting and anxious to plant something NOW.. Thank you