700-bnp-adhesive-tile-setting-mat
Brought to you by:

SimpleMat Adhesive Tile Setting Mat

SimpleMat is a double sided, adhesive sheet that is perfect for attaching tile to a countertop or backsplash. It can be used on drywall, plywood, plastic laminate, or painted surfaces. Simply cut the mat to fit, press in place, peel off backing, and attach tile. SimpleMat is available at The Home Depot.  ...More

First Page
   page  1 of  9

SimpleMat Adhesive Tile Setting Mat

44 Comments on “SimpleMat Adhesive Tile Setting Mat”

1. Karen Montag Says:
    January 20th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Used the SIMPLEMAT to install 30 square feet of glass mosaics three days ago. Today, the tile is falling off the wall. Since this product doesn’t work, I tried to peel off the remaining tiles but found it easier to steam them off with my Shark floor steamer. However then I was stuck with the fiberglass backing and globs of rubbery glue. So now I am removing the first layer of paper on the drywall to get the “mat” off. What a mess!!!!

2. Sharon Gibson Says:
    March 7th, 2010 at 8:38 am

I am having the same problem. We used it on wall behind stove and under cabinets. Same problem. Fell off the wall. Had to use thinset on half the tiles! Most likely will have to replace the rest. Home Depot not doing a thing, referred me to mfg. Waiting for reply. Will go to BBB if necessary.

3. Allison Says:
    March 22nd, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I had the same problem only mine fell off and took the paint with it exposing my drywall. Went to Home Depot and showed them pictures of the mess this stuff has made in my kitchen. Good news is they refunded all my money I spent on the tile and the simple mat. However, now I have a huge mess in my kitchen and have to pay someone to come in and fix what the simple mat has done. I can’t get it off my walls either. The double sided adhesive stayed to the walls but the tile wouldn’t stay up. I am contacting the BBB!

4. Carolyn Says:
    March 31st, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Did all of you use glass tiles? Because it says on the box that it works with stone and ceramic — it doesn’t indicate that it works with glass.

I’m a beginner who had a sales person at Home Depot recommend this product. Any other experiences out there?

5. Susan Feige Says:
    May 9th, 2010 at 9:41 am

I used glass mosaic tiles too, and any that were set vertically began peeling off almost immediately. Incidentally, I also used a roll of Bondera brand tile setting mat that a neighbor gave me (who recommended against using the Simplemat) and had succss with that product. I’m kicking myself that I didn’t use it for the entire project, but I ran out. I had plumbers in the house during the time I was setting the tile so I didn’t want to leave the house while they were there, and used the Simplemat I had previously bought. Mistake! Can anyone tell me what the best method would be to remove the mats from the surface I had it affixed to? It was used on a fireplace hearth which is made to look like marble (it’s not cultured marble, but a plastic surface). Would some type of citrus-based GooGone work to help loosen it? Then it could be scraped off with a wallpaper razor remover.

6. DC Says:
    July 1st, 2010 at 10:32 am

Sorry to come off as rude, because I don’t mean to be that way, but anyone who tried the product with glass tiles, or tiles that don’t fit the size and thickness requirement of the manufacturer, should not be entitled to a refund.

I’m all about putting businesses in their place and reporting them to the BBB when they are fraudulent. However, customers need to read instructions before purchasing and attempting to use any products. Home Depot and SimpleMat are not responsible for consumer negligence.

No, I do not work for either of these companies, I am a college logic and ethics instructor.

7. Handyman Says:
    July 9th, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I would like to say to all the people that used this product for glass tile or tiles less then 1×1 inch in size and thicker then 1/2 inch. The directions clearly state the types of tile that can be used and glass is not one of them. The biggest number of product complaints come from people who do not understand the products they are using. You must read all directions and follow them. If you follow the directions the Simplemat will work. I had a tile job that needed to be done in one day. That included setting the tile and grouting the tile. The directions also say that you need to grout within 24 hours for the people who did not follow that part of the directions. Anyway I was able to accomplish what I needed to by using this product and I will say it cut the installation time in half and the tile is still up almost 6 months later and in a commercial application no less. I will use this product again and again and since I follow the directions I know it will work. People who contact the BBB or Home Depot for a refund should include pictures of the tiles they were trying to install so they can be told that they will not get a refund since they did not follow the directions. I will say that the Home Depot representatives don’t know what they are doing so you should read all directions. I wish Simplemat could call the BBB on consumers that do not follow directions.

8. Keri Says:
    July 10th, 2010 at 8:36 am

I used this product on my kitchen backsplash and yes I used glass mosaic tiles (1 x1). Yes it did start to come away from the wall but I just pushed it back up with more pressure and grouted.. No problems after grout. Been a month now and no problems..

9. Barbara Says:
    July 21st, 2010 at 8:43 am

Like Keri, I also used it on glass mosaic (1X1 mesh sheets which is ok per the instructions)and after 3 weeks it’s still up and have no problems. I wouldn’t buy again however, only due to the cost.

10. Lois Brown Says:
    July 23rd, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I made a mistake with the tile application and tried to remove the backing sheets, but it created a major mess.
    I’ve tried paint thinner, goof off, a paint scraper and still can’t get the gooie mess off the wall. I would not recommend this product. Any advice on how to get this mess off the wall? This product was more trouble than it was worth.

11. Lisa Says:
    August 2nd, 2010 at 7:25 pm

We used the simplemat product with 2×2 glass tiles. It was a disaster. They did not even stay on for three hours. We read all the instructions and while it does not list glass tile, the Home Depot saleman assured us it would work. The glass tiles are simply too heavy for this product. Now, how can I get them stick stuff off my backsplash? Any ideas?

12. JEFF Says:
    August 14th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Can I install simplemat behind my cook top

13. Danny Says:
    August 22nd, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I used this on a table that I was tileing and it stuck to the table top just fine. However it did not adhere to the tiles at all! I’m ripping this junk off as soon as I am done wrting this and doing this with the proper material.

14. Jesse Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Simple rule with tile: The less work you put into install the less time it will last.

Mankind has been using cement mortar for 2000 yrs. for a reason…. it works

15. Judy Rose Says:
    September 2nd, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Well, bless all your hearts! I bought a box of small, 12-inch, lightweight, and I find, glass mosiac tiles to put on a back wall area. The sales person suggested the Simple Mat rather than using a backer board and it sounded like a great time saver, albeit an expensive alternative.

At least I had the wit to check out on-line critiques on the Simple Mat before using it. Thanks to you all, and of course the Handyman, I have been saved a lot of grief. The Simple Mat can go back intact! The old way is still the best.

16. Sherry Says:
    September 3rd, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Thank you very much for the information on Simple Mat. I went to Home Depot today to purchase glass tiles for my kitchen and the salesperson there also suggested that i use this product. I will not. Thank you for saving me from a heartbreaking experience.

17. Doug Says:
    September 5th, 2010 at 9:50 am

I wish I had read all this info 48 hours ago. I was on my way down the aisle at Home Depot when an associate, who was conducting a DIY Tile class with some customers, stopped the class to tell me that the thin set I had was not needed. Simplemat was recommended for the glass mosaic tiles I had with me. When I pointed out that glass tile was not on the list, I was told that there was a display at the store proving that it will hold glass, they just did not put it on the label. My mistake, but you should be able to take the advise of the associate.

18. Shannon Says:
    September 26th, 2010 at 9:30 am

Wow…am I happy that I decided to search this morning…I bought SimpleMat and two tiles yesterday to see which would look best with my countertop…after reading all of these comments I will be returning these items to the HomeDepot today. I am so very happy that I haven’t used any of it so a refund is coming my way.

19. Carmen Says:
    October 24th, 2010 at 9:31 am

I have found what will remove simple mat tile setting mat. Lighter fluid – the kind in a yellow bottle. Soak the matting well it will peel off and then take sponge and soak it in lighter fluid and wipe around and the glue will ball up and you will be able to remove all residue. Clean with murphy oil and water afterwards. Never use simplemat again but was glad to get rid of it without damaging facing of wall.

20. Julie Says:
    December 4th, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I just bought tile for my backsplash, and the mortar. I had thought about using the Simple Mat, but went with my better judgement. I questioned whether that adhesive would be permanantly effective in adhering the tile. Fortunately, the sales person did not not push it. I feel badly for those who have had the bad experience, but am grateful you were honest in your comments.

21. chuck Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 6:06 pm

ive been in the industry for 25 yrs ,, when it comes to tile there is one way to do the job rite and that is with wall tile adhesive , that is made for whatever tile you are using , a painted backsplash not cleaned properly and putting a sticky matt on it will not work , rule of thumb if you want to do tile job go to a tile store not home depot talk to a pro,

22. Jenn Says:
    January 23rd, 2011 at 10:34 am

Six months ago I used Simple Mat as a backing for very thin glass tiles that came on a 12 x 12 mesh backing for a backsplash. It was easy and I have not had any problems with the tiles not sticking or coming loose. I’ve tiled rooms before and this was a snap compared to the mess plain old tiling makes.

23. Rhonda Says:
    February 11th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

OM gosh I was given the wrong glue. thanks. before i started project!

24. Diann Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

My husband and I used this for our bathroon walls and shower walls. The trick is to grout immediately after putting up an area. If you don’t the air gets behind the tile and trys the adhesive and it falls off. After we found that out, the tile went up quick and easy and has been up close to 1 years now and looks beautiful. These were 12×12 tiles and it hels great. Just be sure to grout quickly.

25. Josh Says:
    February 25th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Used SimpleMat for my kitchen’s backsplash and have not had any issues after an entire year. As I was putting the glass tiles up, they did sometimes come loose from the wall, but I just used a flat surface tool to push them against the wall as hard as I could. Grouting almost immediately after adhering them to the wall I think is the most important step.

26. V. McBride Says:
    March 29th, 2011 at 6:58 am

I just came across this product in a magazine. It sounded like a fantastic idea, until I checked this site. I will say that the advertisement says “You can even set glass”. So for those people who did that I feel for you.

27. Linda Carroll Says:
    April 2nd, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Sorry to disagree but we did a large backspash with simple mat my husband has tiled for years. This has been one of the best products he has ever tried if it was not it would not be in our home.

28. cathy Says:
    June 1st, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Anyone use the product Bondera which is similar to what you are describing? any luck with that product and can I tile right over existing tile?

29. Chris Says:
    June 24th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I used the Bondera from Lowes and put 1 inch glass tiles all around my kitchen above the counters. Worked like a dream and has been on for 6 months now. Might be able to use it on top of the “sticky mess” left by the other brand, but not sure. I started with clean walls.

30. Nora Says:
    July 11th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Sorry to disagree with so many people, but we used Simplemat and tiled our entire backsplash over a year and a half ago with a combination of glass and porcelain tiles. We have been very pleased and have not had the first problem. It has definitely been a great product for us, and we would certainly use it again.

31. Dawn Says:
    August 11th, 2011 at 11:24 am

I used SimpleMat to install 1″ x 1″ square tiles on mesh backing and have had no problems. I grouted immediately, but the tiles didn’t even try to peel off before I grouted. The experience was great because it was so fast and easy to do.
    However, I am about to do my kitchen backsplash with marble subway tile and I am doubting that Simplemat can hold that type of weight. I think I am going to go the old-fashioned, time-consuming way this time just to be safe.

32. Clifford Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 10:29 am

Having same issue, using 1×1 glass mosaic tile. Nowhere did it state that this isn’t to be used. HomeDepot even had all these products laid out together! We talked to several reps while buying this and not once did they say you cannot use glass with simplemat.

33. Jerry Sturm Says:
    September 22nd, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I beg to differ with most of you about using glass tile. The box of SIMPLEMAT that I purchased from Home Depot clearly states on the back that SIMPLEMAT can be used with any type of ceramic, porcelain, stone or glass tile 1″ x 1″ or larger. Mosaic tile with mesh back can also be used. Not sure where most of you are getting your information. This is the first time I have used SIMPLEMAT or ever installed tile for that matter. I used the 1″ x 1″ glass with mesh on a backsplash and was a little difficult since the 12 x 12 squares are quite floppy and hard to handle. Once you place the tile up it is stuck! I am now concerned about applying the grout and hoping the tile doesn’t fall off like many of you have said! I didn’t understand why you had to grout within 24 hours though. But, the SIMPLEMAT was fairly easy to cut and apply. Just hope it works!

34. Jerry Sturm Says:
    September 23rd, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Well, the glass tile is grouted and did not fall off during the night! Looks pretty good for first timer! Hope it holds!

35. Karen Says:
    November 27th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Worst product ever, I am calling the BBB and also the company. I called my local Home Depot and they are taking it off the shelves.

My kitchen is a disaster, virtually every tile fell off the wall. And yes people I checked the box to see if it would work with my tile. I also tried to grout it quickly, the tiles just slid off.

36. Mary L Says:
    December 3rd, 2011 at 4:39 pm

WORST PRODUCT EVER! $500 dollars later, and were going to have to repaint and everything :(

USE GOOF-OFF TO GET IT OFF YOUR WALLS. $10 at home depot…

37. Andrea Says:
    December 13th, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Horrible!!! Put the stuff up and my mosaic tiles were falling off the next day!! Local home depot did not care and said they had no complaints. Clearly that was untrue and I will be returning to show all of these complaints to them.

38. Niles Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

This comment while late is for the “college logic” instructor and handyman. I personally saw a glass tile sample board in Home Depot promoting SimpleMat. In addition, a Tile rep.(Home Depot) suggested that I use it instead of thin-set!

Luckily I’m a naysayer when it comes to ADVICE from a Home Depot employee. 9 out of 10 times you’ll be sorry. DIYer’s always go “Old School” or even better hire a professional.

Pro.: Architect

39. Lily Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I applied Simple Mat and glass mosaic tile to my kitchen wall yesterday. The tiling took me several hours and I did not immediately grout, instead I went to sleep for the night. Woke up this morning and the tiles were still perfectly adhered. However, I just did not like the design I choose. I peeled ceramic and glass tiles off fairly easily this evening in about 45 minutes(with a dose of strength and ‘elbow grease). Not really sure how to remove Simple Mat. Hope the Goof Off works as well for me as the other person who posted. Saw the lighter fluid suggestion but that just seems crazy dangerous.

40. JR Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 11:32 am

I used simplemat for my kitchen back splash and I also framed around a large mirror in my bathroom, worked GREAT. I didn’t have ANY problems whatsoever and I get compliments on my kitchen all the time as if a contractor did it. I’m a girly, girl and managed to use this stuff just fine. I honestly feel bad it didn’t work out for other folks cause it really was simple for me. I can’t imagine it coming off of the wall, it was so dang sticky, I felt is though I could of stuck a person to it and it wouldn’t of come off. Sorry for your luck.

41. Anne W Says:
    January 21st, 2012 at 11:47 am

This was a total disaster!! I would have never used it if I had read these comments beforehand. Tiled the “kneewall” on my breakfast island and it looked like a million bucks – yesterday. This morning all the grouted glass and stainless mosaic tile had slid to the floor. Made me want to cry. About $500 down the drain. Not sure if it would do any good to approach Home Depot with a claim, but it can’t hurt to try.

42. Karin R Says:
    March 29th, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I’ve found an easy way to remove Simple Mat! Use a hair dryer on the high setting, and keep the adhesive warm while peeling it away from the wall- so easy! It does leave adhesive residue though, so if anyone has a suggestion besides lighter fluid I would be grateful!

43. Lete Says:
    July 9th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

My cousin had success with two backsplashes, so I had complete confidence going into it that Simple Mat was a good product. After purchasing 15 $15-glass tiles (w/stainless steal mosaics incl.), two simple mats, non-sanded grout (because if you don’t want to scratch up your stainless steal, you better not listen to the associates who tell you that the recommended grout is nonsanded), plus all of the other foolishness required on the back of the Simple Mat box. Anyway, I ambitiously took on the project solo. Half way through I started regretting that because it would have been nice for a second set of eyes to tell me if the tiles were level, but I digress. When I completed the tile instillation, it was beautiful, and I felt awesome due to the accomplishment. Because I was tired after hours of standing on my feet, I decided to grout it the next day. The box said I had 24 hours, and it wouldn’t be that many before I resumed. Six hours later I went downstairs, and two of my $15 tiles had fallen on the counter; one broke my vase. I was livid. I press them in again, turned the ac down and went to work. When I got home, guess what, more tiles down, so I began search for chronicles of fallen Simple Mats, and here I am. After reading a few posts, I saw that some said they had success after the grout, so I mustered the energy to take on that part. I just finished, so if there isn’t another post from me within a week, you’ll know it worked. Good luck, everyone!

44. Susan Hall Says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thank you all for taking the time warn others of tis product.