Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Build Wooden Deck Stairs
Watch this video for tips and useful information on how to build steps and stairs for your deck from pressure treated wood. ...More
How to Build Wooden Deck StairsBy: Danny Lipford
When building stairs or steps for a deck:
- Make sure all of the step risers are the same height, and all the step treads the same width to avoid a tripping hazard.
- The rise of each step is determined by the height of the landing from the ground, with each step height from 7″ to 8″ high.
- The width of each step should be from 11″ to 12″ wide.
- The stringers for the steps are notched at right angles with the proper rise and run.
- After cutting one stringer, use it as a pattern for all the others.
- Notch the top of the stringer so it rests on a ledger board attached to the deck framing.
- Attach deck stair treads with the cup facing down to prevent the steps from holding water or acting as a tripping hazard.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
9 Comments on “How to Build Wooden Deck Stairs”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.