140 Ask Danny Videos
Cleaning Stainless Steel AppliancesBy: Danny Lipford
While special cleaners are available to clean stainless steel, some common household cleaners work well, too, including:
- Wet a soft, clean cloth (a micro-fiber cloth works best) in warm water and use it to wipe down the surface.
- For hard to clean areas, add a little dishwashing liquid to the water before wiping it down.
- To remove fingerprints, try using glass cleaner and a soft, clean cloth.
- To add shine to stainless steel, put a little olive oil or baby oil on a soft, clean, dry cloth and rub it over the surface.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Clean Stainless Steel Appliances (article)
- How to Keep Appliances Clean (video)
- Smudge-Proof Stainless Steel (video)
- How to Remove Grease from Kitchen Cabinets (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Danny Lipford: Beth-Anne wants to know, “What’s the very best way to clean stainless steel?”
And that’s a great question because there’s so much stainless steel around our home these days, both inside and out. Now, there’s a lot of great stainless steel cleaners that are available, but you probably have some things at your house right now that you can use without buying any cleaners.
Start out with some warm water and a nice clean cloth. It will take care of most of the cleaning. But even better, use a micro-fiber cloth, because it absorbs the water really well and prevents a lot of those water spots. But if you need a little extra punch in your cleaning solution, then add some dishwashing liquid is all you need to make that cleaning job a little easier.
Fingerprints—big problem on the front of refrigerators or dishwashers.—glass cleaner is all you need to wipe all of those fingerprints out. You probably have some if you have a few of those children around your house.
And if you want to put a little bit of a polish on the front of that refrigerator, believe it or not, you can use a little bit of olive oil or baby oil to really make it look nice.