935 How To Videos
Converting Attic Space into a BedroomBy: Danny Lipford
Converting existing attic space into a bedroom is a popular project that can return over 93% of the money invested when you sell your house. When deciding whether to convert an attic into living space, consider the following questions:
- Easy Access: Is the attic area easy to get to, and are there stairs already in place?
- Ceiling Height: Is the ceiling high enough to keep the space from feeling cramped?
- Natural Light: Will you use skylights, dormers, or gable windows to provide natural light and ventilation to the room?
- Floor Strength: Are the existing joists strong enough to support the floor, or will larger ones need to be installed?
- Mechanical Systems: Will existing plumbing, electrical, or heating and cooling ducts cause a problem?
Please Leave a Comment
7 Comments on “Converting Attic Space into a Bedroom”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.